5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram sales down

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I was starting to look at the Tundra but then started hearing about all their issues especially engine related.
I guess when it comes time, I will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Toyota isn't the same tried and true platform that lasts forever anymore. They have just as many issues as any other manufacturer

I agree, all those Government mandates with efficiency along with investor/stock profitability all play in a role that is changing that. More overstressed drivetrains to meet EPA and cutting corners here and there to meet those profit margins don't equate to longevity and durability.

I will say, our US based Toyotas (C-HR & ES300) and overseas (Fortuner and Corolla) have been rock solid reliable.

Ramboy13

Reaction score
I don't mind the 2025 refresh nor does the hurricane bother me and although I don't like the exhaust note, I can get over that.
What I don't like is the huge jump in price and the refresh isn't enough to make me buy sooner. My truck has an 7/unlimited max care warranty; I won't even consider a new truck until that warranty expires because of the current price and auto interest rates.

Ram needs to bring back the big truck month rebates they had before covid; an $11K rebate on a Limited/Longhorn was significant
I used to think something similar with my 2014 Laramie, with Lifetime MaxCare (a "mistake" Mopar will likely never make again). I thought I'd drive that truck into the ground. $100 each time I had to fix something sounds great. In the last couple of years, the truck has spent MONTHS sitting a dealership bay or parking lot, waiting for parts. The air suspension was a nightmare. over six months total sitting at dealer. They replaced every part, except the bags, and had to wait weeks for each one.
The last straw for me came when I needed ball joints. Just under 100k miles. It was at the deal from Halloween to 2 days before Christmas last year. The dealer told me the driver's side lower control arm was "discontinued" by Mopar, and since my MaxCare requires Mopar, they couldn't fix it. So there was a fight for a day or two, and many calls by me to Mopar, and they finally agreed to go 3rd party. Ended up with a NAPA part, but had to prove the NAPA warranty was as good or better than Mopar. It was P A I N F U L. And yes, I fully understand that Mopar is making it as painful as they can in an attempt to get me to dump the truck and get them out from under that warranty. They just sent me a $5k rebate for a new truck if I trade that in. So just beware of the games Mopar will play with parts on these warranties..... My $2200 warranty ended up paying for close to $8k in repairs in 6 years, but almost an entire year total time at dealer wasn't worth it to me.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think something similar with my 2014 Laramie, with Lifetime MaxCare (a "mistake" Mopar will likely never make again). I thought I'd drive that truck into the ground. $100 each time I had to fix something sounds great. In the last couple of years, the truck has spent MONTHS sitting a dealership bay or parking lot, waiting for parts. The air suspension was a nightmare. over six months total sitting at dealer. They replaced every part, except the bags, and had to wait weeks for each one.
The last straw for me came when I needed ball joints. Just under 100k miles. It was at the deal from Halloween to 2 days before Christmas last year. The dealer told me the driver's side lower control arm was "discontinued" by Mopar, and since my MaxCare requires Mopar, they couldn't fix it. So there was a fight for a day or two, and many calls by me to Mopar, and they finally agreed to go 3rd party. Ended up with a NAPA part, but had to prove the NAPA warranty was as good or better than Mopar. It was P A I N F U L. And yes, I fully understand that Mopar is making it as painful as they can in an attempt to get me to dump the truck and get them out from under that warranty. They just sent me a $5k rebate for a new truck if I trade that in. So just beware of the games Mopar will play with parts on these warranties..... My $2200 warranty ended up paying for close to $8k in repairs in 6 years, but almost an entire year total time at dealer wasn't worth it to me.
That doesn't bode well for anyone who bought a 1500 Classic if they're already discontinuing parts for them. Unless there was a change in the control arms on 4th gens from 2014 to 2024.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
what did you drive while it was at dealership?

Ramboy13

Reaction score
what did you drive while it was at dealership?
I'm very lucky that I moved back near my parents a few years ago to help them as they get older. My dad has a 2010 Dodge 3500 that he doesn't drive anymore, so I drive that. They're happy to see it being used.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That doesn't bode well for anyone who bought a 1500 Classic if they're already discontinuing parts for them. Unless there was a change in the control arms on 4th gens from 2014 to 2024.
I don't buy it, I think someone was screwing with him.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Knock on wood, but I picked up a Lifetime MaxCare in late ‘18, right before they were discontinued, for my 5th gen (2019 Longhorn). It’ll pay for itself if one “big” item fails. But I guess I need to look at it as a big ticket insurance policy rather than a typical warranty.

Ramboy13

Reaction score
I don't buy it, I think someone was screwing with him.
I talked to the parts manager many times… as I got to know most of them quite well. He showed me many different parts - all the way up to 2017 models, that have been discontinued.
The Mopar warranty people WILL NOT talk to customers. Period. Only dealers. So the “miscommunication “ that goes on is infuriating. So in a lot of ways they were screwing with me. But Mopar does not make that part anymore.
I snapped the parking brake cable on my dad’s 2010 3500. Discontinued. I had a hell of a time fixing that.

Ramboy13

Reaction score
bamwholesaleparts.com shows both LCA's as in stock

bamwholesaleparts.com shows both LCA's as in stock...
View attachment 183631
That is.... infuriating. I have printouts from last Fall when I went through this that showed all the parts, and the LCA being discontinued. I stood with the parts manager and he showed me in their system at the time. I had him print it out, and I kept it. Then we had to go back and forth with Mopar warranty group about how to allow 3rd party / after-market parts.
I swear this was the case in Nov/Dec last year. I really have no reason to make it up.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is.... infuriating. I have printouts from last Fall when I went through this that showed all the parts, and the LCA being discontinued. I stood with the parts manager and he showed me in their system at the time. I had him print it out, and I kept it. Then we had to go back and forth with Mopar warranty group about how to allow 3rd party / after-market parts.
I swear this was the case in Nov/Dec last year. I really have no reason to make it up.
I'm not claiming you're making it up. I really have no explanation other than it's possible they started making them again for one reason or another, or maybe BAM has some NOS on hand.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As I said, someone was screwing with you.
They sometimes change the last 2 letters or update part numbers on different part revisions. I bet the warranty people were only using the original part number to decline warranty, but some spare parts don't even match what is on the truck the first day it leaves the dealership lot, lots of revisions and just supply from other vendors for the oem.
That's just my guess which would allow some "it's been discontinued" and then they omit the fact of "this is the correct replacement part number as of today".
I do beer they make it really bad on the lifetime warranty obviously on purpose. They can't stand behind what they sell.

Ramboy13

Reaction score
As I said, someone was screwing with you.
They sometimes change the last 2 letters or update part numbers on different part revisions. I bet the warranty people were only using the original part number to decline warranty, but some spare parts don't even match what is on the truck the first day it leaves the dealership lot, lots of revisions and just supply from other vendors for the oem.
That's just my guess which would allow some "it's been discontinued" and then they omit the fact of "this is the correct replacement part number as of today".
I do beer they make it really bad on the lifetime warranty obviously on purpose. They can't stand behind what they sell.
It's really strange. Like I said, I sat with the parts mgr and went through the system. One of the older, more experienced mechanics joined us and we tried to check newer parts and x-ref anything we could. it would amaze me if they started to produce it again. Whatever - it was a PITA back then.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think all the dealers got together and said "no incentives".
Let the buyers choose base on our prices.
That is my theory. Seen it in other markets too. :unsure:

Removing tin foil hat now....
That's fine. If that's true they are only doing so at their own demise. Lots of people (like me) who used to buy cars and trucks often are now rethinking that and keeping existing vehicles longer. At some point something has to give. My bet is that Stellantis will blink first.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think all the dealers got together and said "no incentives".
Let the buyers choose base on our prices.
That is my theory. Seen it in other markets too. :unsure:

Removing tin foil hat now....

I think it was just basic supply and demand economics. I retired at the height of the pandemic with a goal of buying a new truck upon retirement. However, at the time inventory of all vehicles was very low and incentives were non-existent. Many truck dealers were asking more than the sticker price for the few trucks they had on the lot.

Now that supply issues have resolved, and inventories are plentiful, dealers and the manufacture will offer incentives to get reduce the large supply. Typical manufacture and dealer profit margins are pretty slim so when supplies are low that means sales volume is low so they make their profits from higher prices instead of volume of sales.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My guess would be the p/n slightly changed either the supplier has changed or there’s a redesign.. 100% usually same p/n but instead of the letters at the end (example 000000AC) new p/n might be 000000AD..

Just either a lazy dealer or incompetent parts guy

Reactions: DEG

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
That's fine. If that's true they are only doing so at their own demise. Lots of people (like me) who used to buy cars and trucks often are now rethinking that and keeping existing vehicles longer. At some point something has to give. My bet is that Stellantis will blink first.

With huge discounts, maybe they need to sell 3 trucks to make $X profit.
If they keep the prices high, they now only need to sell 1 truck to make $X profit.
Covid showed that they can make huge profits by selling less.
Now they can cut employment to produce less to sell less and make even more.

I do hope I am wrong as I will be needing a truck in the next year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread