5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram reliability?

sactruck

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn with 31K miles on it. Only two minor problems since new (intermittent rear back up camera on delivery and a headliner rattle that the dealer promptly fixed). Over the years I have owned trucks from GMC, Chevy, Toyota, and Ford and the Ram is by far the best truck that I have ever owned. I liked the Ram so much that I ordered a 2022 Longhorn that is built and currently in transit.

rrrlas2002

Reaction score
First off, Chevy is no more reliable than any other truck. I just moved to a 2021 Laramie Sport Crew Cab 4WD from a long line of Fords and Chevys. The Fords always treated me well, the Chevys not so much. I did buy the extended warranty with the Ram.
A month or so ago, I was in an accident with the 2018 loaded low mileage F150 Platinum. While the airbags saved my Spouse and I, the truck essentially disintegrated with many hundreds of small parts lying all over the road and the front end totally destroyed. The fact that the new Platinum was 23K higher than what I paid for the 2018 model in June 2018, left me with no way to afford the new Ford but because used vehicles are at a premium now, the Insurance payoff on my 2018 was enough to buy the new Ram. I like the truck and I bought the extended warranty out of pocket for" just in case". My brother is a lifelong Ram owner and he has always said that there are good and bad Rams, but his current Ram has 317K miles on it and is still running, although he is now shopping for another.

Retiredpaul

Reaction score
Hey guys I really have a problem here. I really like ram and Chevy. I wanted to know if I get a Ram 1500 with the 5.7l will I be getting a reliable 200k miles plus truck? I am not trying to hate on rams or anything I like them all. But I am 19 and want a good reliable truck and ram is a few bucks cheaper. So please if I could get some information about how good the 5.7l and the over all reliability of ram trucks have been to you that would be great. Thanks guyshttps://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/
Do what you want but Ive now owned Chrysler products since 1997, nothing elese except a kia soul to drive back and forth to work. And I can say that of all the products I have owned chrysler cars and trucks have been by far better than any Ford or Chevrolet I have ever owned.
Now Im not an ordinary owner, I do all my service and repair work myself. And when I do an oil change, and normal maintenance, Im looking for anything that could be wrong, everytime. I change my oil at 3500 miles, I dont care what any books says, or the computer suggests. Automatic trans.fluid and filter 30k reguardless what the book says, rear end fluid, front axle and transfer case 15k the first time then 30k everytime afterwards. And to date, not one car or truck since 1997 has ever had any engine, trans , rear end, transfer case or front axle issues...not one. So say what you will I am convinced that my way works for me, it may not work for anyone else, but it works for me. I dont care what type of oil I use, it will meet chrysler specs, and Im not using any type of preferred fluid, just meets the specs, and change it. No fluid is a lifetime fluid, and all fluid should either be changed and if possible run through a filter. I do believe in decent filters. And if I have a chance to increase the fluid capacity, i.e. a deep trans pan, Ill do that . Ive done this for all my cars and trucks, and so far chrysler has held up the best of any American car company. Take this for what is worth, to date Ive owned many cars and trucks, treat them all the same, and had better luck with chrysler than any of them. Maybe this will help someone else.

St-na

Reaction score
Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one. There would be hundreds of lovers and haters. Make a test drives and buy what You personally like more. I like my RaMs, and I think they are very reliable, but someone for sure may say they are very bad.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Last 3 Ram’s and just over 266,000 miles combined and none of them have even been in a shop for repairs other than very minor recalls that mainly required software updates.
Did all my own oil changes, tire rotations and brake jobs along with other scheduled maintenance. Other than that zero issues whatsoever.

I don’t baby my trucks either. They get driven pretty hard.

dajogejr

Reaction score
My 2015 Limited was in the shop several times for the air ride. Several.
Generally happened when it was cold out. Had pretty much everything other than the shocks themselves replaced.
I bought the max care, at that time, it was original owner only and unlimited miles.
It MORE than paid for itself over the course of 8 years and 140K miles.
New rear end, new front end parts, new water pump, thermostat, several air ride fixes, moon roof leak.
I never changed the trans fluid as I didn’t tow and there was no manufacturer listing for maintenance. I changed the oil when the EVIC told me to. I do my own brakes…still lol.
Went through 2 radios as well.

Mine wasn’t trouble free…but the max care more than paid for itself. Going to buy it again for my new 23 Limited just for the air ride alone…going to get it online and get 8 year, 125K coverage. I don’t drive as far as I used to, it’ll last me until I’m ready to trade it in/sell it for my next truck. WAY more tech in these new trucks. I’d rather pay 3K once and 200 to fix anything then 2-3K to fix it every time. To each their own, my truck, my story, my experience.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do what you want but Ive now owned Chrysler products since 1997, nothing elese except a kia soul to drive back and forth to work. And I can say that of all the products I have owned chrysler cars and trucks have been by far better than any Ford or Chevrolet I have ever owned.
Now Im not an ordinary owner, I do all my service and repair work myself. And when I do an oil change, and normal maintenance, Im looking for anything that could be wrong, everytime. I change my oil at 3500 miles, I dont care what any books says, or the computer suggests. Automatic trans.fluid and filter 30k reguardless what the book says, rear end fluid, front axle and transfer case 15k the first time then 30k everytime afterwards. And to date, not one car or truck since 1997 has ever had any engine, trans , rear end, transfer case or front axle issues...not one. So say what you will I am convinced that my way works for me, it may not work for anyone else, but it works for me. I dont care what type of oil I use, it will meet chrysler specs, and Im not using any type of preferred fluid, just meets the specs, and change it. No fluid is a lifetime fluid, and all fluid should either be changed and if possible run through a filter. I do believe in decent filters. And if I have a chance to increase the fluid capacity, i.e. a deep trans pan, Ill do that . Ive done this for all my cars and trucks, and so far chrysler has held up the best of any American car company. Take this for what is worth, to date Ive owned many cars and trucks, treat them all the same, and had better luck with chrysler than any of them. Maybe this will help someone else.
This happens to me. You responded to a post from 2020. He never came back after his first post. One and done.

muengineer

Reaction score
Our Ram is a 2022 Big Horn with the 5.7L HEMI ETorque.

The truck has 11,000 miles on it now and so far its had 3 different software updates, including the recall for the rear camera and two over the air updates.

That isn't a big deal.

What was a big deal is that at less than 10,000 miles the battery light came on while I was driving on I-94 and it was clear the battery wasn't charging. It went to the dealer and they did a software update to the body computer that they said would fix the issue.

The next time we drove the truck the battery light came back on. So I wrote an email to the dealership general manager, owner, service manager and sales manager and ripped them up one side and down the other for not fixing it the first time when I told them I had evidence the MGU was bad. I told them that for them to treat me, someone who has owned 24 CDJR vehicles since 2012, each purchased from their team like that was not the way to get me to buy anything else.

They immediately changed their attitude towards me and changed the MGU after they verified my initial complaint which was that after 15 minutes of runtime, the MGU was putting out 0 volts of electricity to anything and the truck was running off the battery.

A failure of a major component at less than 10,000 miles doesn't make me want to get rid of the truck, its the crappy service that comes with it, and quite frankly Ford and GM vehicles as well.

In the past 8 years, in addition to the CDJR vehicles we owned during that time we had a F150, which I was never impressed with it or its service, a GM product that I traded in because the service at 2 local GM dealers was so bad, 2 VWs and a Mazda.

The VW had no service issues whatsoever, and actually no problems.

The Mazda was delivered to me missing a software update that had be issued after it was built. The Satellite Radio didn't display all the stations. So when I called the dealer and told them I needed them to apply the update to fix the issue, the owner called me back and came and picked up the car and had the software update done, the PDI done again and apologized profusely for the inconvenience. I had never purchased a car from them prior to that one.

I personally won't count on a RAM to make it to 200,000 miles unless you never turn it off and have the best CDJR dealer around to service it.

Bob.

Reaction score
My Ram is more reliable than the last 3 Silverado's I bought new. The last 3 Chevys had electrical issues. The first one the dealer swapped out the entire speedometer cluster (everything in front of the steering wheel) the other 2 where traded away when I couldn't take it anymore.
The new 21 Ram finally went to the dealer today (first time) for a rear window leak. They said they will replace the window next week under warranty.
The Ram is 100% more reliable than my last 3 Chevys, so far. Cross my fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/