5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Reliability? Dead last per Consumer Reports...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This article has me worried. I've never owned a RAM, only Chevys. I really don't want to be investing in a vehicle that I could have continue issues with over the years. Talk me down!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html
The problem with statistics and rankings is that with the proper manipulation or grouping of the data you can make the results look however you want. And theres no differentiating why the vehicle went in for service. majority of the time it's for infotainment system I would hardly define this as dependability. Nuisance yes, but to me dependability means not breaking down stranded requiring a tow back to the dealer. Look at it this way, 100 trucks from manufacture A. 10 of them have major mechanical issues that require tow and repair now you have 100 trucks from manufacture b. 20 of them require service visit to fix software bugs and infotainment issues. Manufacture a is twice as reliable as b per the data 10% vs 20% , but knowing all the facts which would you buy? Theres just one example of the many problems with surveys and the presentation of results without all the facts.

The quality of the Ram has definitely improved over the years, this is my first Ram, I have owned majority GM. I bought it for 2 reasons it was the best truck in the categories that are most important to me, second I work for a mechanical contractor and we have over 40 ram 1500s for our foreman and many of them are at over 300000 miles. And those are hard miles loaded down with tools and equipment. Sure they have needed service and repair but they have never left our guys stranded on the side of the road.

Last edited:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This article has me worried. I've never owned a RAM, only Chevys. I really don't want to be investing in a vehicle that I could have continue issues with over the years. Talk me down!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html
Spend $2700 and get the lifetime unlimited miles warranty and never worry about it !
Agreed. Only Mopar offers the lifetime warranty. Sure, after market companies provide extended coverage, but this is true bumper to bumper with low deductibles.

I would add that my 2012 Ram was the best vehicle I have ever owned.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just drove a 2017 GMC Sierra, Kodiak trim as a loaner for a day and a half while my windshield was replaced. What a boring, underpowered old farmer truck! Seriously, if you want reliability you'll probably want an uninspired Tundra or Tacoma... but there's always a chance those will let you down too.

10,000 moving parts... somethings bound to fail on any make, any trim.

But there always has to be a book worm that wants to post every article they read about this or that and make it gospel.

Whatever.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Visit Ford and GM forums and you'll quickly see every make has issues. My Sept build Limited has 3 minor items that keep it from being perfect and I fixed two of them.
Lastly, compared to the F-150 Limited I almost bought last fall, the Ram cost me over $3,000 less and that includes the lifetime warranty I bought for the Ram
I am SO glad I didn't buy the F-150 as the Ram is better in every way (to me). The only thing it doesn't have is that back up steering knob and I'd never use it anyway.

Tropez

Reaction score
But there always has to be a book worm that wants to post every article they read about this or that and make it gospel.

Whatever.

Yeah, I'm a book worm. I never said this was gospel, it just had me worried which is why I wanted to get feedback for those of you who actually have experience with this brand as I haven't had any myself.

Agitated

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a book worm. I never said this was gospel, it just had me worried which is why I wanted to get feedback for those of you who actually have experience with this brand as I haven't had any myself.

Seems as if you already made up your mind. Do what you want instead of begging to be talked in to something.

I have never owned a ram or chevy truck. I hated them both. I love this ram and while a few folks have some issues...mine has been flawless and never been back to the dealer.

Its been said many times before...I can find as many negative or positive articles on any brand to alter an argument any way I wish.

Tropez

Reaction score
Seems as if you already made up your mind. Do what you want instead of begging to be talked in to something.

I have never owned a ram or chevy truck. I hated them both. I love this ram and while a few folks have some issues...mine has been flawless and never been back to the dealer.

Its been said many times before...I can find as many negative or positive articles on any brand to alter an argument any way I wish.

The truck in my signature was ordered last Monday, so yes, the decision has been made. I was just trying to gain additional confidence that I made a wise, long-term decision, not a potentially regretful one.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The truck in my signature was ordered last Monday, so yes, the decision has been made. I was just trying to gain additional confidence that I made a wise, long-term decision, not a potentially regretful one.
If you’re worried, you can lease it and make the buying decision later, or you can buy it, “see how it does” for a while (as I’m doing right now), and maybe add a lifetime warranty if you elect to keep it. Reliability was my primary concern with the new Ram, but I took a chance and am thus far very pleased.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Rams since the early 90’s. Everyone has been extremely reliable. I think you mad a good choice.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a double edged sword, reading/studying too much. Yes, you gain valuable insight into potential problems... but don't you think it takes away that excitement and anticipation of your new truck?

If you read an article about the "sky might fall soon" would you stop going outside, or just go on with your day?

You made a choice. Most Ram owners would say you made a great choice! But did you really need anyone's opinion? For your sake, I hope not.

Congrats on the order. Sorry about the "bookworm" crack.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
My last 5 vehicles were 2012-2019 FCA vehicles. The only problems I've had are:

1) I thought it was a good ideal to drive through 2 ft of rushing water in a flood in my Mopar 12 Chrysler 300....my adaptive cruise control radar stopped working. My fault

2) my 17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT has vinyl carbon fiber trim that is peeling in this Texas heat. (Know problem since 2012 that only 12s had a TSB for even though it's the same part in my 17) FCA fault

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I have had fords, chevys, and dodges. I have bought at least one of each brand new from the dealership. I bought a 1997 Ram 2500 ext cab, long bed, 4x4, v10, manual transmission. Wobbled from the get go, lemon lawed that dude, got a 1998 same configuration but auto transmission. Sold it after about 30k miles because I was moved overseas. I bought a new ford 150, straight 6, 4x4, regular cab. First day I drove it to work, I found a puddle of antifreeze under it. Not even 100 miles on it. I bought a 2008 chevy silverado crewcab 4x4, auto with a 5.3 v8. It was doing fine until it got into the late 80k miles, then it started falling apart. I bought a 2014 ram 1500 quad cab, auto, 5.7, 4x4. Was an express model and I bought it when I had to, so I did not get all I wanted on it. Just reliable transportation and towing vehicle. When I got into a better financial situation, I bought my 2019 laramie, crew cab, 5.7, 6.4. So far so good. Glitchie USB interface, but otherwise a fantastic truck to drive. YOu buy a new vehicle and you can have a very good one, or a lemon. They all have the same problem. They are complex machines and as such can have problems. Good luck.

steveved

Reaction score
OP, if if makes you feel any better, my last truck (the one I traded on this RAM) was a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. I had it for 4 years, 4 months and 68k miles. In that time period I had: front rotors warped, AC died at 3 years, front axle locked up due to a spun bearing on one of the half shafts, a rear end shake that would not go away even after 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of wheels. My 2005 Dodge Ram before that never had any issues except for horrible fuel mileage.

So, I am back in a RAM and it drives so much better than the Chevy did. And as you can see, I stuck it out with the Chevy even though I had a few issues with reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread