5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Payload Definition in Regards to Towing

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think everyone is missing the point here. What you need is a good hitch mod: The Woodgerflangerler.

It's a known fact that wood has more springy give than does steel. Steel, if cast/forged/heated wrong becomes brittle. Stress cracks develop.
Why I had an old GMC 1 ton where the main leaf spring (the thickest bottom one) had cracked right in half! Now there's the deficiencies of steel for you.

Wood though, see it bends then comes back. Wooden boats take the waves better. Wooden airplanes absorb more punishment. If the space shuttle had been wood, why...you know

So get yourself a wooden hitch and be done with all this towing mumbo-jumbo.

I'm offering custom whittled Woodgerflangerlertm hitch inserts (no drop) for 3 easy payments of just $39.95. Act now and get the shavings with it as packing! Operators are standing by.
View attachment 102188

And while we are on the topic of payload and towing, all you'ze guys are doing this here 5th wheel thing wrong!
The proper setup is like this: No wonder you say a 1500 can't pull a fiver!
View attachment 102189
Post of the year.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe "dumbsheet" post of the year but whatever. Gotta' have some laughs in your day.
It still amazes me what ridiculous things are done by folks and found on the net'...

OK back to payload ratings.
I just drove a decently optioned 4x4 19' XLT Ford Ranger and it's listed payload was 1674#. The stripper 4x2 Rangers go as high as 2128#.
So if Ford can do that with their mid-size offering, RAM should be doing something even if it is an option (like Ford's HDPP), to raise the payloads.
I mean, it's sorta' embarrasing...

silver billet

Reaction score
Maybe "dumbsheet" post of the year but whatever. Gotta' have some laughs in your day.
It still amazes me what ridiculous things are done by folks and found on the net'...

OK back to payload ratings.
I just drove a decently optioned 4x4 19' XLT Ford Ranger and it's listed payload was 1674#. The stripper 4x2 Rangers go as high as 2128#.
So if Ford can do that with their mid-size offering, RAM should be doing something even if it is an option (like Ford's HDPP), to raise the payloads.
I mean, it's sorta' embarrasing...

No comparison. You have to compare F150 vs Ram, and many F150s are in the 1500 pound payload territory as well. On average they carry a little more weight, mainly because the truck itself is built from recycled sardine cans so it weighs less.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No comparison. You have to compare F150 vs Ram, and many F150s are in the 1500 pound payload territory as well. On average they carry a little more weight, mainly because the truck itself is built from recycled sardine cans so it weighs less.
Hah!! I’m a Steel-biased guy too! However I have found the payloads are slightly higher on the Fords and GM’s. I’ve got a friend with a 2020 Sierra SLT. Compared to my Ram it’s pretty similar, his has leather seats and the smaller bed. But while my payload is mid 1500’s his is mid 1800’s… his GVWR… 7300!! And his truck is 150 pounds lighter so there ya go. I just think the GVWR is so low for the rams, I’m expecting somewhere down the line on the 5th gen’s they raise it to 7300 or higher!

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Hah!! I’m a Steel-biased guy too! However I have found the payloads are slightly higher on the Fords and GM’s. I’ve got a friend with a 2020 Sierra SLT. Compared to my fam it’s pretty similar, his has leather seats and the smaller bed. But while my payload is mid 1500’s his is mid 1800’s… his GVWR… 7300!! And his truck is 150 pounds lighter so there ya go. I just think the GVWR is so low for the rams, I’m expecting somewhere down the line on the 5th gen’s they raise it to 7300 or higher!

That's true enough, but I'm not much for trying to win a paper war. At a certain point it's time to get a 2500, if we need to worry about raising GVWR then maybe that is the point where it's just safer to get a bigger truck all around.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
For many it's ride quality that is winning over the decisions. My bro' had a 2500 HD CGMC that rode like it was on its stops when empty. It would jar the fillings out of your teeth. Peeps just are not willing to live with that to have a good amount of payload if they can mod their 1500 to "acceptably" pull/carry the weight. May not be the smart idea but it becomes the practical one.

silver billet

Reaction score
For many it's ride quality that is winning over the decisions. My bro' had a 2500 HD CGMC that rode like it was on its stops when empty. It would jar the fillings out of your teeth. Peeps just are not willing to live with that to have a good amount of payload if they can mod their 1500 to "acceptably" pull/carry the weight. May not be the smart idea but it becomes the practical one.

I get it, but are we comparing the same age/generation of 1500 vs 2500? Because in both the GM's and the Ram's, while the 1500's have gotten soft and cushy, the 2500's have also gotten much better with ride quality.

So if you compare todays Ram 1500 vs 2010 GMC HD, yeah the ride is completely different.

But if you are buying a new truck today; 1500 vs 2500, the ride will be somewhat worse (still) in the new 2500 but its not going to jar your teeth out by any means. I found the rental 2500 I drove a while back to be amazing considering what they used to drive like 20 years ago. You need to move up to 3500's these days if you want your dental work to fall out :)

In the end you need to pick: ride quality or payload. You can bump up the GVWR all you want, but unless you tweak the suspension, why increase the GVWR beyond what it is now? And then once you tweak the suspension to take advantage of increased GVWR, all those luxury SUV type buyers (like me) complain.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I get it, but are we comparing the same age/generation of 1500 vs 2500? Because in both the GM's and the Ram's, while the 1500's have gotten soft and cushy, the 2500's have also gotten much better with ride quality.

So if you compare todays Ram 1500 vs 2010 GMC HD, yeah the ride is completely different.

But if you are buying a new truck today; 1500 vs 2500, the ride will be somewhat worse (still) in the new 2500 but its not going to jar your teeth out by any means. I found the rental 2500 I drove a while back to be amazing considering what they used to drive like 20 years ago. You need to move up to 3500's these days if you want your dental work to fall out :)

In the end you need to pick: ride quality or payload. You can bump up the GVWR all you want, but unless you tweak the suspension, why increase the GVWR beyond what it is now? And then once you tweak the suspension to take advantage of increased GVWR, all those luxury SUV type buyers (like me) complain.
His GMC was a 2014, he moved up to a 20' 2500 (Cummins) due to emissions component issues with the GMC that could never get fixed right. The 20' RAM does ride better.

Users who are viewing this thread