5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram or Tundra

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But he makes a valid point though
Does he? I'd say not really. Take a look at the recall list for 2019 Ram 1500's compared to 2020 models and then tell me they refuse to address concerns. They have addressed other problem areas as well, which didn't warrant a recall, such as redesigning the rear window frame for the issue with cracks forming. I'm not going to list everything they have addressed because I'm lazy. But I will say that all manufacturers seem slow to respond to complaints. Maybe Ram is slower to respond to complaints and maybe they aren't. I really don't know the answer to that and I don't think anyone else here does either. We'd need real data to know for sure, not just the opinions of people anonymously posting in a forum.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because they actually recognize when something is wrong, rather than trying to **** you over like a lot of the other manufacturers. How many complaints on this forum are for the same things that Ram refuses to address?

Perspective, how does it work? :geek:
Nonsense. I had two issues with my Tundra and Toyota kept throwing the same flawed part at the problem. There isn't a single manufacturer that is immune from this problem.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because they actually recognize when something is wrong, rather than trying to **** you over like a lot of the other manufacturers. How many complaints on this forum are for the same things that Ram refuses to address?

Perspective, how does it work? :geek:
UTTER nonsense...

Thoroughly disagree. Several years ago we bought a brand new Toyota Corolla. Thing burned a bunch of oil right from the start and settled in at over a quart every 1K miles. Despite repeated complaints and dealers we were advised that it was "normal oil consumption" and in effect to go F ourselves. Do I think Toyotas are junk? Hell no, they're largely great cars...but far, far from perfect.

Just like the rest of them...

Experience...Thats how perspective works.

And welcome to the forum Nuclear...we look forward to your thoughtful advice and your clearly gentle nature.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First off, the new Tundra is polarizing in style but oddly I like it more than the previous version. Would I buy one? Eehhh not sure.

As for vehicle issues, every car/truck I have owned has had some quirk or issue and no car/truck is perfect.

I mean I could hate GMC over the 2016 Sierra that I owned that had the 8sp from hell, but that did not stop me from buying a Yukon.

I will agree with others, buying a vehicle based on its perceived non issues could backfire. IMO just buy what you like, if like it enough the quirks/issues you will be able to live with.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Does he? I'd say not really. Take a look at the recall list for 2019 Ram 1500's compared to 2020 models and then tell me they refuse to address concerns. They have addressed other problem areas as well, which didn't warrant a recall, such as redesigning the rear window frame for the issue with cracks forming. I'm not going to list everything they have addressed because I'm lazy. But I will say that all manufacturers seem slow to respond to complaints. Maybe Ram is slower to respond to complaints and maybe they aren't. I really don't know the answer to that and I don't think anyone else here does either. We'd need real data to know for sure, not just the opinions of people anonymously posting in a forum.
Dont get me wrong here, I love my Ram but my brand new 21 BTS has been at the dealer for 2 days for water leaking into the cab when it rains. That apparently has been an ongoing issue with Ram trucks since about 2009ish. I guess you can call that "slow to respond".

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and pardon me, do you have any Gray Poupon?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong here, I love my Ram but my brand new 21 BTS has been at the dealer for 2 days for water leaking into the cab when it rains. That apparently has been an ongoing issue with Ram trucks since about 2009ish. I guess you can call that "slow to respond".
It's not just a problem for Ram. From what I've read, other brands have been having issues with the rear windows leaking as well. Although I have no first-hand experience with that. None of the ten trucks we've owned in the last 20 years have had issues with a leaky cab. Eight of those were Ram trucks (five 4th gens, three 5th gens). I don't know the details on your issues, but I suspect it's more of an issue with installation more than issue with design. If the design were bad, every truck they built would leak.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I haven’t had any leaks with the 3 Rams I’ve owned . As far as being quick to fix problem areas on the Tundra just google cam tower leaks . That’s been ongoing since 2007 5.7 L .

silver billet

Reaction score
Trucks actually share components made by the same vendor; Toyota doesn't build every little bit and piece, and neither does Ram/GM/Ford.

Apparently the vendor that supplies the sliding back window to Ram also supplies the window to GM. The 2019+ GM's also have a leaking rear window.

Once you realize that the car industry is made of many thousands of different vendors all building the same shared stuff directly, or building components for multiple trucks, you start to realize that arguing one brand is better than the next is kind of silly.

Even the hemi, FCA doesn't build that start to finish either. The lifters (for example) are supplied by a vendor who builds lifters for other car/truck engines as well. And on it goes.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's not just a problem for Ram. From what I've read, other brands have been having issues with the rear windows leaking as well. Although I have no first-hand experience with that. None of the ten trucks we've owned in the last 20 years have had issues with a leaky cab. Eight of those were Ram trucks (five 4th gens, three 5th gens). I don't know the details on your issues, but I suspect it's more of an issue with installation more than issue with design. If the design were bad, every truck they built would leak.
As I said in a previous comment, EVERY vehicle manufacturer has problems. Some pop up more than others. If you search for leaky rear windows you will see that the windows have been changed a few times to try and correct the problem. My 2011 ram had no problems but my 21 does. Toyota has their problems, ford has theirs and Chevy has their problems. You happened to get lucky I guess. One would think though that since these rams are probably the most popular truck on the road right now and have been gaining popularity since the early 5th gens that they would've or should've had these hereditary problems solved by now

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is Consumer Reports' ranking of the major automotive brands, according to their average reliability score:

1. Mazda (83)
  2. Toyota (74) (includes their cars too, so the truck gets lumped in)
  3. Lexus (71)
  4. Buick (70)
  5. Honda (63)
  6. Hyundai (62)
  7. Ram (58) ( since RAM only makes trucks, I say they are #1 in Trucks)
  8. Subaru (57)
  9. Porsche (55)
  10. Dodge (54)
  11. Infiniti (54)
  12. BMW (52)
  13. Nissan (51)
  14. Audi (46)
  15. Kia (45)
  16. GMC (43)
  17. Chevrolet (42)
  18. Volvo (41)
  19. Jeep (41)
  20. Mercedes-Benz (40)
  21. Cadillac (38)
  22. Ford (38)
  23. Mini (37)
  24. Volkswagen (36)
  25. Tesla (29)
  26. Lincoln (8) Article here

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I had a 2009 ram brand new, no leaks, in fact it only had 2 recalls. I have A 2020 now and no leaks. Please don’t generalize.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I had a 2009 ram brand new, no leaks, in fact it only had 2 recalls. I have A 2020 now and no leaks. Please don’t generalize.
Search this forum and others. I'm far from "generalizing" lol

CanRebel

Reaction score
As I said in a previous comment, EVERY vehicle manufacturer has problems. Some pop up more than others. If you search for leaky rear windows you will see that the windows have been changed a few times to try and correct the problem. My 2011 ram had no problems but my 21 does. Toyota has their problems, ford has theirs and Chevy has their problems. You happened to get lucky I guess. One would think though that since these rams are probably the most popular truck on the road right now and have been gaining popularity since the early 5th gens that they would've or should've had these hereditary problems solved by now

But it's not hereditary problem... It happens to a very tiny amount...

It's been said over and over... Many different trucks had/have that issue over the years. It's small amount.
It's not even issue with just trucks... cars as well.

Sucks to be you. Lemon it, or make them fix it right.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Search this forum and others. I'm far from "generalizing" lol
Thanks for pointing out that I don’t know anything. Never mind that I also had a 2003 dodge 1500 with no issues. I guess I will go back to my little utopian world and not comment on things that don’t happen in it. 🤦‍♂️

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I would say that 8 for 8 is much more than luck. In my opinion, you were just unlucky to get one that has issues. Far more of these trucks have no problems than have them. It's just that the people who have problems are the ones making the noise, and people who don't have problems rarely create threads stating that.

JBV

Reaction score
i hope you are right. my factory order has recently shipped and delivery should take place in a few weeks. i'm both excited and nervous. by far the most expensive vehicle i've owned. first brand new. i've read so much here about issues, vibrations, leaks, etc. i live on Vancouver Island, coastal BC in a rain forest. winter here is like being in a car wash 24/7. the truck will live outdoors. i'm terrified of leaking!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i hope you are right. my factory order has recently shipped and delivery should take place in a few weeks. i'm both excited and nervous. by far the most expensive vehicle i've owned. first brand new. i've read so much here about issues, vibrations, leaks, etc. i live on Vancouver Island, coastal BC in a rain forest. winter here is like being in a car wash 24/7. the truck will live outdoors. i'm terrified of leaking!
I’ve worried myself into selling multiple vehicles early because I bought into the small set of problems I read about on forums. My recommendation (for whatever that’s worth) is to just enjoy the truck, and you have a warranty if you do have problems.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve worried myself into selling multiple vehicles early because I bought into the small set of problems I read about on forums. My recommendation (for whatever that’s worth) is to just enjoy the truck, and you have a warranty if you do have problems.
Agree with you 100%! Except for the warranty thing…. Rather than put myself through the pain of dealing with the Ram service department and the warranty, I carry a roll of duct tape. Ain’t nothing duct tape can’t fix and it provides me with a much higher degree of satisfaction than going to the service department!! 😉😁😂

Red Green taught me all I need to know about the power of duct tape!!!

Users who are viewing this thread