5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram or Tundra

brewdad

Reaction score
The new Tundra TRD Pro trim has only the higher horsepower engine as standard, but the auxillary battery pack for the electric motor fills up the entire area beneath the rear seat. Toyota elected to stay with the old school battery pack instead of the new, smaller lithium ion batteries. That engine has the electric motor located between the engine and transmission and will not be available until Spring 2022; therefore, TRD Pro will also be delayed until Spring.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, not sure I could give up my underseat storage as that's where I keep most of my stuff. Might be interested in a Limited with the standard engine TRD offroad package, will depend on what Ram does with the 2023 trucks. I want to like the Ford's but I just think they look to generic and bland looking.

Ramster

Reaction score
What's with the colors on the Tundras? That beige and the green.🤮

Shark875

Reaction score
I had a Chrysler LHS see 289,000 miles. sold it to a relative to put another 10k on it. Last truck was a 2010 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and it had 110,000 miles and besides normal wear and tear, brakes/ tune ups ect. I have had zero issues with Mopar products and its all I will purchase. My new 2021 ram just hit 2,200 miles and I am confident in the 5.7 hemi and the durability.

Chris_R

Reaction score
My 2006 1500 was solid compared to the 2020 1500 junk pile I have sitting in the driveway now.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was the same with the 5th gen Ram when they were first introduced. Same with the latest Chevy Silverado. In fact, most redesigned take a while to grow on me. Having said that, I'm still not a fan of the latest GMC heavy duty trucks, and I'm pretty sure that will not change.

As far as jumping ship, I'm not averse to doing that. I used to be a GM guy until the 2014 redesign (which I still don't like). But I will generally only do that if I don't like the design direction of the brand I own at the time. All vehicles can have issues, so it doesn't make sense to me to jump brands because of a problem or problems with a particular truck or car. Or a particular dealership.
I’m on my second ram as my 19 was a lemon! These new rams should be the nicest trucks on the road and they are until one of the ongoing issues from the first builds in 18 are still showing up in the 21’s. I know any brand can have issues, but normally they are fixed in a year or 2!! It seems to me that ram doesn’t care because they are selling so many trucks and now Covid and shortages of everything. However I don’t doubt that Ford and Chevy are the same way!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Chrysler LHS see 289,000 miles. sold it to a relative to put another 10k on it. Last truck was a 2010 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and it had 110,000 miles and besides normal wear and tear, brakes/ tune ups ect. I have had zero issues with Mopar products and its all I will purchase. My new 2021 ram just hit 2,200 miles and I am confident in the 5.7 hemi and the durability.
The hemi will be the least of your problems! It’s the virbrations, tire wear, water leaks, brake noises, etc, etc…..

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I've own several brands of vehicles, both new and used from Pontiac, Toyota, Ford, Nissan and for the most part they've all been great. I traded my last Nissan which was an Xterra in on my used 2011 Ram which was trouble free right up to the time I traded that in on my brand new 21 Ram BTS. My brand new Ram with only 2k miles in it has been at the dealer for the past few days to get a water leak under my back seat repaired. It's also had some intermittent radio glitches on the 12" screen. I love my new Ram but I have a funny feeling that it's going to be a pain in the @ss.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
of all the trucks, Consumer Reports says the RAM's have the LEAST complaints!! you would think it's the opposite hanging out on this forum. But that's exactly djevox's point. Go to any forum and you see the same thing. My 19 Limited still gives me a woody everytime I drive it.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s funny to see the same comments about vehicles on every car form I’ve been on over ~20 years of being on forums.

Lol yep. The last few generations of silverados had the random engine shut offs, afm failure, ac issues, and the newest ones have the same sliding window leak issues, the complaints on here are pretty much carbon copies from the other forums I’m in.

Most modern vehicles suffer from similar defects, just pick which vehicle you like the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Every vehicle manufacturer has their own sets of problems. Some vehicles show those problems and some don't. They are all mechanical machines that will break down eventually. My concern with stuff like that is being one of if not the most popular truck that's been manufactured for years still has the same problems as they did when the 1st model year rolled off the assembly line.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You think a first generation tundra will be without issues?

There is a recall on the lasted ones where the headlights cause the truck to burn down.

Every manufacture has its quirks. Can be trading one headache for another.

Its kind of funny how Toyota is perceived to be this flawless company producing near perfect vehicles yet they lead the auto industry in recalls. I have had a few and some were great and some sucked just like any other company.

Shark875

Reaction score
The hemi will be the least of your problems! It’s the virbrations, tire wear, water leaks, brake noises, etc, etc…..
Never had these problems on previous models. Tire wear comes with all vehicles unless you found a Toyota that does not wear out tires. Brake noises..... sound like you need new brakes. vibrations... put down the front window when you put down the rear or it vibrates. ect. ect.. Looks like that could be something to have looked at.

nuclear

Reaction score
Its kind of funny how Toyota is perceived to be this flawless company producing near perfect vehicles yet they lead the auto industry in recalls. I have had a few and some were great and some sucked just like any other company.
Because they actually recognize when something is wrong, rather than trying to **** you over like a lot of the other manufacturers. How many complaints on this forum are for the same things that Ram refuses to address?

Perspective, how does it work? :geek:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because they actually recognize when something is wrong, rather than trying to **** you over like a lot of the other manufacturers. How many complaints on this forum are for the same things that Ram refuses to address?

Nice first post. Not exactly the best way to introduce yourself :ROFLMAO:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Hope around on the Toyota forums. You will see the same things you see here.

Also forums and the issues stated on them represent a VERY small amount of actual issues.

Think of the thousands on thousands of units sold world wide and compare that to forum complaints.

Most only join a forum to vent their issues and their fixes.

silver billet

Reaction score
My 2006 1500 was solid compared to the 2020 1500 junk pile I have sitting in the driveway now.

I do feel bad for your situation, but calling your truck a junk pile isn't going to convince us that we are driving junk piles. If your truck sucks, sell it and move on.

Lets say that on average, Ram has more problems per vehicle than Tundra. How many more over the lifetime of the the truck does it matter to you? If you have to take your Ram in 1 time more than you would have a Tundra, would rather be driving the Ram still? How about 2? 3? Etc?

Because for me, unless my Ram is in the garage every 6 months for non maintenance work, the Tundra isn't ever going to end up on my driveway. And so far, I have yet to pay for something that I shouldn't have. My truck isn't flawless, but I love it and have no regrets to date.

Users who are viewing this thread