5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM needs to sell a Limited with a coil suspension.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love love love the interior of the Limited, but don't want to deal with the unreliability of an air suspension.

RAM needs to make the air suspension an option, just like it is on the Longhorn.

I agree, I might have considered a limited if it had steel springs.

Twoamen

Reaction score
That's why I ordered everything on a Laramie longhorn, without A. S. And no moon roof. I had to go with the mountain brown was the only substitute. After awhile the interior it's not an issue. All suspendion/power is the same. I do hate the buckles on the backs of the seats. Also the tie downs in the rear are a bit much. I guess alot of cowboys need the tie downs for live stock or engine parts from rolling around.

jastevenson

Reaction score
That's why I ordered everything on a Laramie longhorn, without A. S. And no moon roof. I had to go with the mountain brown was the only substitute. After awhile the interior it's not an issue. All suspendion/power is the same. I do hate the buckles on the backs of the seats. Also the tie downs in the rear are a bit much. I guess alot of cowboys need the tie downs for live stock or engine parts from rolling around.

I was getting ready to buy a Longhorn for the same reason....the leather and overall ambience is a noticeable cut above the Laramie. Problem is, I find it to be a bit over the top, and I don't like the gold-tone accents everywhere.

Twoamen

Reaction score
I was getting ready to buy a Longhorn for the same reason....the leather and overall ambience is a noticeable cut above the Laramie. Problem is, I find it to be a bit over the top, and I don't like the gold-tone accents everywhere.
Have you actually look inside a Laramie? Because you cannot tell from pictures. I think it looks more brushed bronze. I missed it when I did the online research. When I picked mine up the salesman said What you think of the trim... It did not stand out like you would think. Like I said also after awhile you do not pay attention. One other reason I was happy with brown is I had a 14 Limited Black interior. I swear you had to vacuum the floor daily.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
P, did the Hellwig make a noticeable difference?
So, I installed it so soon after receiving my truck that I don’t really remember. I got it solely based off of the stellar reviews it has on this forum and elsewhere. It is much heavier and solid in comparison to the stock one. My truck feels nice and planted for sure when going around curves to me and doesn’t have much side to side wobble when going over uneven speed bumps and such so I think it attributes to that.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
So, I installed it so soon after receiving my truck that I don’t really remember. I got it solely based off of the stellar reviews it has on this forum and elsewhere. It is much heavier and solid in comparison to the stock one. My truck feels nice and planted for sure when going around curves to me and doesn’t have much side to side wobble when going over uneven speed bumps and such so I think it attributes to that.
I’ll have to do this one first.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I had sat on Laramie LH, Laramie and Limited before for cusion and comfort comparison, found out LH has the hardest seats, and Laramie has the softest seats, Lmt is in the middle. Since the Lmt has the standard air suspension, it’s clearly a long term reliability concern on it. However I do really like the ventilated back seats... Back to the topic, YES, if air ride is not standard on Lmt I will be consider Lmt for my first choice.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you are up north and there’s no fix for the issues discussed previously for the water in the lines or the pump freeze issue then yes, having air could be a problem. At least for us southerners it will only be a long-term reliability question. Years back Ford and GM vehicles with the air susp were switching over to std coils due to the expense of the components to replace. I’m trying to remember exactly what years and types but it was in the early to mid 2000’s. GMC Envoy, Lincoln Navigator were two. My 2000 Buick Lesabre had rear load leveling but it always worked fine, at least until the trans went out (over 200K) in 2010.

db682

Reaction score
I love the air suspension on my limited. The ride is probably the best I've ever felt in a truck but I mostly got it for lowering the truck when I want to take my Mom to dinner or something. She's no longer a spring chicken so climbing into a 4x4 was something she used to avoid. That plus the electric running boards make stepping up into the truck easier then climbing stairs. The aero mode is also pretty nice when driving on the highway. Other then that it rarely gets used though. As far a reliability goes, commercial trucking and automakers have been using air suspension for many years. I am less concerned about the the long term air suspension issues and more concerned about how all electrical functions are routed through the 12" screen. If the screen ever takes a dump not only will your air suspension not work but neither will anything else. Currently I love my truck but only time will tell if those feelings last. I got 10yrs out of my last Ram so hopefully this one doesnt let me down.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love the air suspension on my limited. The ride is probably the best I've ever felt in a truck but I mostly got it for lowering the truck when I want to take my Mom to dinner or something. She's no longer a spring chicken so climbing into a 4x4 was something she used to avoid. That plus the electric running boards make stepping up into the truck easier then climbing stairs. The aero mode is also pretty nice when driving on the highway. Other then that it rarely gets used though. As far a reliability goes, commercial trucking and automakers have been using air suspension for many years. I am less concerned about the the long term air suspension issues and more concerned about how all electrical functions are routed through the 12" screen. If the screen ever takes a dump not only will your air suspension not work but neither will anything else. Currently I love my truck but only time will tell if those feelings last. I got 10yrs out of my last Ram so hopefully this one doesnt let me down.
I share many of your sentiments. In my case, I'm hauling the in-laws around...between the entry/exit mode, power steps, and reclining/ventilated seats, I think I'm treating them right. I grew up on a farm where all of our semi tractors have air bags, so why not on my pickup? And I'm also *hopeful* that this truck will last me a good long while.

campbell_81

Reaction score
Hitching/unhitching is the most annoying part about this air suspension. When lifting the trailer off of the hitch, the truck just keeps lifting with it and it drives me nuts. I tell it to drop to "exit mode" from the key fob, but the dumb thing doesn't do what I expect it to do. And trying to setup a W/D hitch is a little more complicating when the bags try to level out before getting the bars put on.

I also wish I could stay in "off-road 1" at any speeds. Normal just seems to low-rider with the factory 22's.

Users who are viewing this thread