5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Limited problem

RamFamily

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a shiny 19’ Limited. She’s been temperamental for the first three months I’ve owned it, mostly small annoyances up until the past week.

This truck has been throwing electrical fits, just random bouts of stuff not working or going completely out (so far; headlamps, infotainment screen, power windows) No warnings present and the dealer replaced the battery but could not find anything wrong. Today it’s raining here and the wipers quit until I did a soft reboot (shut off and restarted) My dealer is really frustrating as they just don’t seem to care about this potentially dangerous issue! Today I left it at a different dealership over 100 miles away hoping they find what’s ailing my truck. Also, mine does not have E-Torque. Anyone else have this issue?

TIA

GM convert

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a shiny 19’ Limited. She’s been temperamental for the first three months I’ve owned it, mostly small annoyances up until the past week.

This truck has been throwing electrical fits, just random bouts of stuff not working or going completely out (so far; headlamps, infotainment screen, power windows) No warnings present and the dealer replaced the battery but could not find anything wrong. Today it’s raining here and the wipers quit until I did a soft reboot (shut off and restarted) My dealer is really frustrating as they just don’t seem to care about this potentially dangerous issue! Today I left it at a different dealership over 100 miles away hoping they find what’s ailing my truck. Also, mine does not have E-Torque. Anyone else have this issue?

TIA

No

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not experienced these issues you have.

I hope you find a solution. Those can be frustrating.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As this is a safety issue, contact RamCares and the NHTSA

COMPLETE this 5-step form -- it takes about 5 minutes, and have the following information handy:
  1. Email Address -- To file a complaint without one or for other assistance, please call the Vehicle SafetyHotline (Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153).
  2. Your VIN. ...
  3. Make.
  4. Model.
  5. Year of your truck.

Ram Guru
Reaction score

TIA
Also, could you add signature data to let us know model, features and build date? That potentially helps identify and isolate issues. Thanks

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

TIA
I agree it is a safety concern that should be reported, maybe @RamCares can note your problems too and flag them for resolution through FCA.
Regarding a fix, I can’t tell you what it is, but it sounds like an electrical connection issue since it started out ok but has gotten worse, maybe water getting into wires or sensors? Could be software too. There are a LOT of smart techs on this site that will hopefully chime in. Try approaching it like this for starters...

Try to “see through the random” and detect a pattern to the problem. Note every strange occurrence, AND the conditions it occurred in... only when raining? Cold? Day/night? Only with radio on/off? You get the idea... think like Sherlock Holmes and be the master of observation. Once you find the pattern, especially if it is repeatable, the service techs will have something to work with and hopefully solve your problems with a 10 cent connector in five minutes. What do you think @Blazn you chase gremlins for a living right? (y)

Now if the techs don’t care that’s a different problem and I’d see if you can sit down and make your case for better service to the service manager. If that doesn’t work take the truck to another service dept if you have the option. Hopefully your service department manager can be convinced of the importance of getting this problem sorted correctly though.

RamFamily

Reaction score
Ok the dealer called me today. Seems the BCU? Is at fault (I was so busy working next to a loud excavator was hard to hear). They also found one ground wire loose. Part will be in next week so fingers crossed my gremlins will be gone!

immersivenc

Reaction score
Ok the dealer called me today. Seems the BCU? Is at fault (I was so busy working next to a loud excavator was hard to hear). They also found one ground wire loose. Part will be in next week so fingers crossed my gremlins will be gone!

Next time you experience issues, get your phone out and start recording. This will help you with your dealer and with legal proceedings should you have to seek remedy under the lemon law.

RUBY75

Reaction score
I bought mine in April none of those issues have shown up, hope you get it figured out, it is the best truck I've ever owned and I've had them all

Attachments

• C653F80A-908A-4869-9981-BF40CAF74BD7.jpeg
    C653F80A-908A-4869-9981-BF40CAF74BD7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Try to “see through the random” and detect a pattern to the problem. Note every strange occurrence, AND the conditions it occurred in... only when raining? Cold? Day/night? Only with radio on/off? You get the idea... think like Sherlock Holmes and be the master of observation. Once you find the pattern, especially if it is repeatable, the service techs will have something to work with and hopefully solve your problems with a 10 cent connector in five minutes. What do you think @Blazn you chase gremlins for a living right? (y)
Had they not been able to fix it IMO I would be looking to document this pushing towards a lemon and making them give you a good one. I've seen one guy on YouTube share similar issues to what you are sharing. I'd the say as a new build I personally doubt there are techs that will have enough insight to trace these problems down. This can be software, wiring and/or component related. Doing what @YoAdrian stated can definitely help a good tech isolate these problems to something a small as a simple resistor being fried...you'd be surprised how interwoven these fancy electrical systems are.

@YoAdrian without a doubt they should be able to isolate with a simple BIT but I've been less and less impressed by techs now a days (they live by the "never hurts to NRTS" or "CND NFAT" motto)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread