5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Limited - 2019 v 2020

Jr2121

Reaction score
I feel like this topic should already be beaten to death, but I can’t find it anywhere (could be user error?).

Are there any insane people out there that lived there 19’s so much, that they’re considering a 20?

I bought my 2019 Limited last year and absolutely love it. It has its issues - screen freezes occasionally, rambox has warped (parts ordered to repair), squeaking brakes). This sounds like a lot, but this truck is so nice that despite those issues, I have loved it.

That being said, I work in Real Estate and have already put 20,000 miles on it. Dealership is offering to trade me my 19 for a 20 with the new tailgate (which would be great for me loading signs and whatnot into the bed, that way I’m not reaching over the tailgate constantly or climbing into the bed). They are offering $13k with the trade in, which doesn’t seam unreasonable, even though I’m planning to negotiate a better deal if I do it.

Anyone have first hand experience with both years? Any bugs worked out? Any differences to speak of? Is it literally the same truck?

Also; any thoughts on that trade in or what you would think would be a fair trade on one with 20,000 miles would be appreciated.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would need more info to even begin to offer thoughts. Have pics of both stickers or at least macros and trim levels? Have to compare apples with apples at the same starting point, then depreciate yours for age and miles. At the end of the day it comes down to is it worth it to you. You are going to take a loss for sure. Is the tailgate the only thing you’re missing? Sounds like you’re happy otherwise. 20k of mileage isn’t much. From the limited info you gave, I’d keep the 19. Enjoy it and don’t incur the unnecessary loss of a trade in.

Jr2121

Reaction score
Would need more info to even begin to offer thoughts. Have pics of both stickers or at least macros and trim levels? Have to compare apples with apples at the same starting point, then depreciate yours for age and miles. At the end of the day it comes down to is it worth it to you. You are going to take a loss for sure. Is the tailgate the only thing you’re missing? Sounds like you’re happy otherwise. 20k of mileage isn’t much. From the limited info you gave, I’d keep the 19. Enjoy it and don’t incur the unnecessary loss of a trade in.

both limitled’s

current limited is black, chrome, 22’s, panoramic, rambox
Msrp was $68,300

2020 offered has exact same plus tailgate sticker was right around $69,500

I got mine last year right around $56k (I think it was 8% under invoice that I negotiated).

Here’s my thoughts, tell me if I’m reaching....

tires have 20k miles on them. Warranty will be done in under a year at this point. How much of an actual hit am I taking? Am I recouping it in one year newer and less miles down the road (obviously not all of it).

I feel like I’m talking myself into it haha.

Rick J

Reaction score
If it's what you want to do it sounds like a fair deal to me. KBB say HIGH trade in value on your current Limited is $43K. That means you're paying $56K for the new one. The new one has a higher sticker than your current one but you are buying it for $2K less than you paid last time if you use these numbers. I understand you can make the numbers anything you want them to be as long as they have a $13K difference. $13K for one year plus and 20K miles isn't an outrageous amount to pay IMO.

airgas1998

Reaction score
and then in a few months it is now worth 13k less....go ahead and see what you'd get for trd-in on that "fresh" 2020

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s an insane proposal to me, but we’re all in different financial situations so I can’t make that determination for your use case. I dread that first year hit, and you’re accepting it and asking for another and taking it in stride, haha!

20k mi is nothing. I just traded in my previous truck with 190k with no major issues through my course of ownership.

You can purchase the multi-function tailgate separately if it’s a major concern to you.

If the new one has some other justifications, you won’t be able to get it out of your head, most likely. If the $26k loss in 2yrs doesn’t scare you off, you’re certain to be happy with a freshly new Limited.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
$13K plus TTL? That's an expensive tailgate and tires.

FCA warranty can be purchased, sven with your mileage.
Tires? That's not a big cost either.
How much do you use the tailgate? Only you know.
Any drivetrain differences? Engine or gearing? If everything is the same then?

If I could choose again, I'd delete the pano roof, get the level 1, and be ok getting the E Torque. 3.92's for the heck of it. So that would be an almost complete drivetrain change (still 4x), and the interior would be affected.
If you are thinking of all that then sure, makes sense to me.

airgas1998

Reaction score
maybe he's a realtor in the frisco bay area where the avg median home is near 1 million...

Patsy1099

Reaction score
both limitled’s

current limited is black, chrome, 22’s, panoramic, rambox
Msrp was $68,300

2020 offered has exact same plus tailgate sticker was right around $69,500

I got mine last year right around $56k (I think it was 8% under invoice that I negotiated).

Here’s my thoughts, tell me if I’m reaching....

tires have 20k miles on them. Warranty will be done in under a year at this point. How much of an actual hit am I taking? Am I recouping it in one year newer and less miles down the road (obviously not all of it).

I feel like I’m talking myself into it haha.

With that additional info let’s just say it’s a fair swap of almost identically optioned and priced vehicles (for the sake of argument), that means you are paying over $1,000/mo ($13k) for the luxury and privilege of being able to swap into a new vehicle.....which will also have 20k on it next year. Plus you have to add TTL which will drive that number even higher. Some thoughts:

- if you were having lots of problems with your existing truck and wanted to get out of e headaches and could lemon law it, then maybe cutting your losses further as well as peace of mind would be worth it but that’s not the case here.
- if the money isn’t an issue then it doesn’t really matter, rock on
- since you are a realtor and you put a decent amount of mileage on it, maybe consider leasing a vehicle since you can write off part of your vehicle use (a good part actually) as a business expense, and then swap into a new vehicle every 2-3 years depending on your lease option (would have to make sure you purchased the proper mileage package).

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it works for you, that's all that matters. Some people cringe over $100. Others don't bat an eye over $10,000. Roughly $1,100/mo as a cost to own isn't all that bad to me.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can purchase the multi-function tailgate separately if it’s a major concern to you.

Easier said then done, you would need a new bed or at least some retrofitting including welding /painting to the old bed.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread