5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram limited 1500 steering wheel change to TRX steering wheel with flappy panels

Jockeyson

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been considering this ever since I got the RAM 1500 Limited
the gear selector on the multi-function steering wheel is nice, however it doesn't do what I exactly want and just seems like there's something missing on the tips of my fingers when I'm driving.

was just wondering if there's anyone out there who have done a swap before or can give me any insight on this

Jockeyson

Reaction score
gear shifting paddles
I believe that's correct term use on a global scale
I know the TRX 1500 has the shifter paddles to select your gear, something like you would have In sport mode

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
gear shifting paddles
I believe that's correct term use on a global scale
I know the TRX 1500 has the shifter paddles to select your gear, something like you would have In sport mode
You can swap to the TRX steering wheels by the paddle shifters will do exactly the same thing as the current gear limiter button. It won't give you the manual shift mode without other changes

Jockeyson

Reaction score
You can swap to the TRX steering wheels by the paddle shifters will do exactly the same thing as the current gear limiter button. It won't give you the manual shift mode without other changes
So what other changes will I need to do
It seems like coding will be required
My ram is also Australian so I’m guessing wiring will also be needed as it is converted to right hand drive.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So what other changes will I need to do
It seems like coding will be required
My ram is also Australian so I’m guessing wiring will also be needed as it is converted to right hand drive.
@Jimmy07 will have to make your a harness, and you would need to piggy back a BCM from a GT edition. Then make some changes with alfaObd

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There shouldn’t be any custom wiring required, even with a RHD convert. Just the correct OEM steering wheel harness.
Changes need to be made in the BCM with AlfaOBD.
TCM needs to be flashed to a G/T calibration for them to function like they are supposed to (possible with cda6).
Speaking of the TCM flash, does anyone know off-hand if there is such thing as a 2022 GT package Ram that does not have eTorque?

Jockeyson

Reaction score
can I look for a TRX steering wheel that's aftermarket or would there be anyone that's selling one on the forums?
Will the harness need to be the GT one or can I get away with a TRX harness
as far as I know there's no RAM 1500 in Australia that has paddle shifters except the TRX

Jockeyson

Reaction score
hey all
did we know if you can swap out modules on the steering wheel
for example, the 1500 Laramie has the paddle shifters and but not the adaptive cruised control, am I able to pull that 1 section out and replace it with the one that's currently on mine?
1682159625285.png
1682159713482.png

I've also notices that all the rams I've been looking at with the paddle shifters all have the gear stick in the middle of the console where as the ones without the paddles and have the gear limit instead all have the turnable knob to select your gear

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hey all
did we know if you can swap out modules on the steering wheel
for example, the 1500 Laramie has the paddle shifters and but not the adaptive cruised control, am I able to pull that 1 section out and replace it with the one that's currently on mine?
View attachment 157078
View attachment 157079

I've also notices that all the rams I've been looking at with the paddle shifters all have the gear stick in the middle of the console where as the ones without the paddles and have the gear limit instead all have the turnable knob to select your gear
Only the TRX and GT models have paddle shifters and the console shifter. Every other Ram has the dial shifter on dash.

As far as the adaptive cruise control, as long as you have the correct wiring on steering wheels and clock springs should be able to swap in the switch for it

Jockeyson

Reaction score
Only the TRX and GT models have paddle shifters and the console shifter. Every other Ram has the dial shifter on dash.

As far as the adaptive cruise control, as long as you have the correct wiring on steering wheels and clock springs should be able to swap in the switch for it
If I did the gt steering wheel swap will if affect it whether I have the dial shifter or gear stick shifter ?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I did the gt steering wheel swap will if affect it whether I have the dial shifter or gear stick shifter ?
If you just swap dteerings wheels, no, but the paddles will only act like gear limiters unless you do other things

Users who are viewing this thread