5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM lighting rant...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
my only gripe from your list is that some lights are still on when switched to off, and can't totally turn off dash lights...

and only time this is an issue is when we go to the drive-in....
I've been able to make all that work well enough for the drive-in with the Tazer.... but I've also started taking a portable radio instead
You have drive-in's where you live? We haven't had any of those where I live since the mid 80's.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
For those wanting all of the LED lights on the front to truly be off when the headlight switch is in the off position, you can turn off the signature (accent) lighting using AlfaOBD. They will still function as parking lights when the headlights are on but will no longer come on with the ignition in run/engine running and the headlight switch in the off position.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can tell city kids were on the engineering team when it came to lighting.

Us Boomers can remember the time you could put the car / truck in the ACC position, have the 8 track playing and all the dash lights dimmed down to zero for a romantic evening of watching the submarine races.

truckless

Reaction score
Almost all of your "issues" are most likely safety compliance related items.

1. Because they're not bright enough.
2. The headlights need to be the brightest light when they're on, and during the day if the accent lights were any dimmer you wouldn't see them.
3. This annoys me too, but it's probably related to safety.
4. Safety.
5. Probably safety again.
6. User annoyance. My personal opinion is they're fine and if they're too bright I take half a second to flip the dial to the night setting.
7. You can dim the dash with the dial right next to the ambient lighting dial. You want them all the way off? See 4.

Actually.....for #4, in Canada now they have changed the safety regulations so that your dashlights will NOT turn on unless your headlights are one. That is because people are stupid and are driving around with DRLs and no taillights.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
So why did you buy a Ram ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because I liked everything else about it.

Maybe someone from RAM will see this and maybe think about those little things that would turn a good truck into a great truck. Or maybe someone out there has the technical expertise to come up with a solution?

Last edited:

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
If you're ranting about insignificant things like this, I'd hate to see what your reaction would be if you experienced something like an engine or transmission failure. I can't say I've had any issues with anything you complained about. I really don't know which lights are used for DRL's. I'm not sure I've even tried turning the lights off manually, or why I would need to. Same with the dash lights. I haven't noticed any issues with the dash light brightness. It seems a little silly to switch brand just because of these "issues", but I would suggest you test drive at night the next time you are shopping for a truck.
If my RAM's tyranny or engine failed within 100k, you'll definitely hear me rant.

As I said, I like most things about the truck. But you're right, the next truck I purchase, I'll take it for a spin at night as well as daylight.

Last edited:

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now I feel bad for wasting everybody’s time as it appears my rant about not having a GAU-8/A Avenger 30mm cannon mounted in the grill is minor. 😉
Are you sure you don't have it? Have you checked the build sheet? :ROFLMAO:

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drive-ins made a comeback because of Covid... but Im sure they won't stick around anymore

I live within 30 minutes of one, and I’ve been living here since the late 80s and have been there at least once a year, every year, since….

The other smaller closer drive-in closed a few years before COVID but then new owners brought it back to life during COVID. I hope it stays!!

ChrisID

Reaction score
man, I must be in the minority. I think current Ram lighting in and out is some of the best I've owned. Coming from 15 GM's and Fords, mostly GM's. Have laramie and limited with LED stuff.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My father went to his grave never owning a car with power windows, just one more thing to break.
My dad used to be that way, now every vehicle he owns has power windows.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Drive-ins made a comeback because of Covid... but Im sure they won't stick around anymore
New one just got built about 45 minutes from me. Wasn't built because of covid, the opening of it was actually delayed because of covid and delays getting materials/workers.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was hoping that would be the case here, but sadly it never happened. I used to go to drive-ins all the time when I was younger.
My dad used to be that way, now every vehicle he owns has power windows.
Maybe because it's getting harder and harder to find a new vehicle with manual windows. They're pretty much standard in almost everything now. Even a bare bones base Tradesman has power windows.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping that would be the case here, but sadly it never happened. I used to go to drive-ins all the time when I was younger.

Maybe because it's getting harder and harder to find a new vehicle with manual windows. They're pretty much standard in almost everything now. Even a bare bones base Tradesman has power windows.
Newest vehicle my parents own is a 2007. My dad likes his 90's Caprice Classics. Has three of them. But no one is allowed to roll down the rear windows

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
We went to our big Auto Show a few years back and my kids thought the coolest thing on any of the vehicles was the manual windows on a stripped down Jeep. They kept cranking them up and down... I didn't stop them.

Users who are viewing this thread