5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Leaks Images Of New Range Extended Ramcharger Model

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They all have their plusses and minuses, but to this old fart's eye, I prefer the styling of the Rams and the GMCs first, then Chevy, dead-last to my eyes is Ford's styling. No, I take that back. Dead-last are the Toyotas, in particular the current Tundra.
As I'm sure you know, looks are subjective. There's no way to make a truck that everyone likes. I really like the looks of the Ramcharger and like you prefer the look of Ram trucks. I happen to hate how the current GMC trucks look. Chevy's latest offering looks pretty good. And I have no idea where Ford's design is going, just that it's nowhere good. Toyota and Nissan aren't even on my radar and aren't worth the effort of forming an opinion on.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I'm sure you know, looks are subjective. There's no way to make a truck that everyone likes. I really like the looks of the Ramcharger and like you prefer the look of Ram trucks. I happen to hate how the current GMC trucks look. Chevy's latest offering looks pretty good. And I have no idea where Ford's design is going, just that it's nowhere good. Toyota and Nissan aren't even on my radar and aren't worth the effort of forming an opinion on.

I know a lot of people prefer the GMC look but to me the grills are just cartoonish looking being too big and extending up onto the hood. And then the newest ones of the DRL's that look like tentacles hanging off the bottom of the headlights.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know a lot of people prefer the GMC look but to me the grills are just cartoonish looking being too big and extending up onto the hood. And then the newest ones of the DRL's that look like tentacles hanging off the bottom of the headlights.
It seems like Ram went for a more nuanced, sophisticated look for their grilles, whereas both Chevy and Ford went the opposite direction and just make them as big and squared-off looking as possible. GMC grilles are of course similar to Chevy's in size, but GMC rounds the corners a bit and uses more chrome in order to slightly tone down the locomotive look. But they're all good in their own way.
I'm always amazed at how long Ford sticks with a given overall exterior styling of their trucks. They've had the same basic side profile and grille shape for, what, at least 10 years? But clearly Ford knows their customers, they've been the most successful sales-wise for the longest.

c_bass16

Reaction score
When I first heard 600+ miles of range, I was excited.
Then when I saw it takes nearly 25gal of gas to charge the batter to get that kind of range. I'm SERIOUSLY underwhelmed.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then when I saw it takes nearly 25gal of gas to charge the batter to get that kind of range. I'm SERIOUSLY underwhelmed.
My 3.6 V6 with 33 gallon tank has 700 miles of range........

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many people that would buy the ramcharger do think are going to continually go the full 600+ mile range before ever plugging in and charging the battery?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many people that would buy the ramcharger do think are going to continually go the full 600+ mile range before ever plugging in and charging the battery?
For me, the VAST majority will be on battery. But it would also mean the world to me knowing after the battery runs out of juice I'm able to keep going on gasoline.
Everyone has a unique use-case and unique sensibilities, thankfully at this time we still have options. Just for myself, I'm glad Ram will be making that particular choice available, because that's what makes the most sense for my needs. I really love my EcoDiesel, but life changed after I bought it and my current use-case is not good for a diesel. When the time is right, I'll be happy to sell it to someone who can actually use a diesel as it was intended, and I'll be better off with a gas-electric hybrid like the Ramcharger.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The photo in the OP is just a 1500 pickup.

This is a Ramcharger.

2021-Ram-TRX-RamCharger-Design-1.jpg

redbeardracer

Reaction score
We had a 2012 Chevy Volt with this same design of a plug-in Battery and an ICE generator. Loved it that around town on errands it was electric, but on road trips we could still go hundreds of miles before stopping for fuel and a bathroom (and then back on the road again). Looking forward to this in a truck to pull our couples camper.

c_bass16

Reaction score
My 3.6 V6 with 33 gallon tank has 700 miles of range........
exactly my point.
When you figure the size of the tank needed on the new RamCharger to get close to 700 miles of range....what's the point of making it hybrid when the v6 does it already.
In the midwest, I have ZERO interest in an EV that won't give me 500 miles MINIMUM in less than ideal conditions.
Would I lease one that can get 400? Maybe, but I'm sure as **** not buying one.
A hybrid that can do 700? MAYBE, but not at a price tag of $75k that is going to need 27 gal of gas to get there.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
exactly my point.
When you figure the size of the tank needed on the new RamCharger to get close to 700 miles of range....what's the point of making it hybrid when the v6 does it already.
In the midwest, I have ZERO interest in an EV that won't give me 500 miles MINIMUM in less than ideal conditions.
Would I lease one that can get 400? Maybe, but I'm sure as **** not buying one.
A hybrid that can do 700? MAYBE, but not at a price tag of $75k that is going to need 27 gal of gas to get there.
While price is the big question, remember that the RamCharger can boast things a V6* Ram never could:

Highest payload and towing of any 1500 ever, tied (with REV) for second quickest Ram ever and tied for the quickest of those that’ll still be for sale, able to drive with zero gas for most people’s daily commute, able to power an entire home in the event of a power outage. A V6 Ram doesn’t do any of that already.

Frankly, the RamCharger makes a lot more sense than the REV. Who needs a 500 mile EV when in daily use, that’s way more range than most will need, and when they DO need range (roadtrips, for instance) the charge for the next 500 miles could take hours, versus minutes for a full tank of gas.

* pedants, don’t start!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Frankly, the RamCharger makes a lot more sense than the REV. Who needs a 500 mile EV when in daily use, that’s way more range than most will need, and when they DO need range (roadtrips, for instance) the charge for the next 500 miles could take hours, versus minutes for a full tank of gas.
First thing I seen that makes sense about the Ramcharger and REV lol.
Only reason they are using a gas guzzling Pentastar is became they are already tooled for it. I fail to see how that is the best choice, but if it works well and sells then they can expand upon it in gen 2 and actually have a good hybrid pickup truck.

Unfortunately Ram is not giving new buyers much choices for reliability. REV, Ramcharger, twin turbo I6? May as well buy a different brand and come back in 5-10 years if any of it works out or crashes and burns. Even getting support for eTorque is still a pain and it's not uncommon to see people out months waiting on repairs for parts and such on things that are already several years old.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The REV and Ramcharger are total unknowns. I'm interested in the Ramcharger but I'll wait for at least the second model year for it. And I have no issues with them using the Pentastar engine to run the generator.

I have no interest in the REV at all, 'nuf said.

The Hurricane engine intrigues me somewhat, but mainly because I've owned an EcoBoost and I think it's actually a good engine for my use. It's been in use already in the Jeep lineup so it's not like it's a brand new engine. And since it's an inline 6 it should be a very smooth running engine. Having said that I'd probably wait until at least the second model year for that as well if we decide against the Ramcharger in a couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread