5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram (Laramie) review

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I've had my Laramie for a few weeks now; not a lot of miles yet (about 500), but enough for a few observations:
-Very quiet
-NO issues so far (mid September build date... waited a while for the Ramboxes but worth the wait!)
-As others have reported the air suspension MAY actually ride a bit more firmly than the coil springs (we test drove coil springs, ordered air). That said, if you off-road at all (and don't plan on lifting), or tow much the air suspension is well worth it (my last vehicle had it too, and I wasn't about to give it up).
-I usually can't stand stop / start, but the eTorque really is fairly seamless and I don't mind it at all. Unless you tell passengers it has start / stop they don't know (unlike most vehicles that "shudder" a bit), especially if the radio or fan is on.
-I didn't think I'd like the power steps, but I do. We'll see how long they last in the muddy, salty upstate NY winters....
-The cruise control is FAR better than my old Land Rover LR3 (which had an "acceptable range" of 6-10mph around what you set your speed)
-Seats are comfortable (older family members prefer them to the LR3, I prefer the LR3 but then I was used to it for 11 years...)
-Ramboxes are great; I can't imagine having a truck without them for my uses (I've had trucks before, and have a 1 ton dump as well)
-rear seats are fanastic
-Quality of materials seems very good / excellent as does build quality so far (stitching, panel fit, etc...).

Items I'm not thrilled with (all very minor really; I do not regret purchasing it at all and am very happy with it):
-Cabin air filtering. I didn't realize how "spoiled" I'd become in the LR3 which has a HEPA cabin air filter. I've noted as soon as a diesel truck (or farm truck full of manure) is in front of me I know it immediately. I expect there is little to no filtering going on, which surprises me given where they are trying to compete
-There are a lot of "nooks and crannies" accessible from under the vehicle - I expect salt dust from road salt is going to get in there and sit easily. I'm already worried about how long the body may last.
-A minor annoyance is the hood - it vibrates a bit. I would have thought they'd have made it stiffer. It is most noticeable driving down a slightly bumpy road with some rain drops sitting on it, as you can see it vibrate and flex. Clearly a weight savings, but let's be honest when they are thrilled about saving 400 lb that is the weight of 2 passengers....
-Speaking of rain, the rain sensing wipers aren't well sorted. They work, but my 11 year old vehicles seemed to work better.
-whatever is between the rear view mirror and windshield (electronics for lane sensing and adaptive cruise I assume) blocks the passenger view a bit; it's too bad it isn't smaller.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if i pick up outside odors, i use the recirc button. i have removed the OEM filter and installed a K&N cabin filter. it does a very good job.

there is a TSB about the hood shake, take it to your dealer
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/hood-flex.2142/

i do not care for the rain sensing wiper functionality at all, it stunk in my '15 Laramie and it still stinks. i disable rain sensing in the Uconnect Wipers setting.

the passenger seat is up too high, have passenger lower the seat a touch.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I am curious about your comment about the Air Suspension not being good if you tow often. My understanding is the air suspension helps with leveling the truck and helps stabilize a load if it is in the bed on being towed from behind. I haven't seen anything reported to avoid if you tow. Have you a bad experience? Thanks.

Maple

Reaction score
I am curious about your comment about the Air Suspension not being good if you tow often. My understanding is the air suspension helps with leveling the truck and helps stabilize a load if it is in the bed on being towed from behind. I haven't seen anything reported to avoid if you tow. Have you a bad experience? Thanks.
I read that as the opposite, taking out the middle phrase it says: "That said, if you ... tow much the air suspension is well worth it ". I think he is supporting your understanding.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I read that as the opposite, taking out the middle phrase it says: "That said, if you ... tow much the air suspension is well worth it ". I think he is supporting your understanding.
You are probably right. I think I put a negative in there. Thanks.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
To clarify - if you tow a lot you owe it to yourself to get the air suspension:)

I hadn't seen the tsb on the hood shake - thank you!

Ram204

Reaction score
I picked my Laramie up yesterday and drove it back home, a distance of 250 miles. No hood shake at all. My build date is 10/16/18.

U

User_3336

I don't think any kind of Cabin air filtering is gonna filter out the stinky smell of getting behind a diesel.

Solution: RE-CIRC.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think any kind of Cabin air filtering is gonna filter out the stinky smell of getting behind a diesel.

Solution: RE-CIRC.

To the contrary, While I don't doubt that the smells were less in his Land Rover, it' not the fact that the filter was HEPA rated. HEPA just has to do with the particulate size that the filter is capable of trapping. Typically this is a MERV rating, 1 being the least efficient and 16 being the highest, filters in the MERV 13-16 range can filter cigarette smoke and diesel exhaust particulate. Beyond MERV 16 is where HEPA comes into play equivalent to MERV 17-20. And can filter out a lot of stuff that would carry odors with it. One thing to note about the Land Rover filter though is that it is infused with activated carbon. The activated carbon is what pulls out the majority of the odors the same way it gets rid of the chlorine taste in treated water. In theory you can try and track down a cabin filter that fits the ram that has activated carbon in it to help eliminate outside odors. I would not recommend changing the MERV rating of the filter because it would negatively affect the blower fan.

Last edited:

warvet

Reaction score
To the contrary, While I don't doubt that the smells were less in his Land Rover, it' not the fact that the filter was HEPA rated. HEPA just has to do with the particulate size that the filter is capable of trapping. Typically this is a MERV rating, 1 being the least efficient and 16 being the highest, filters in the MERV 13-16 range can filter cigarette smoke and diesel exhaust particulate. Beyond MERV 16 is where HEPA comes into play equivalent to MERV 17-20. And can filter out a lot of stuff that would carry odors with it. One thing to note about the Land Rover filter though is that it is infused with activated carbon. The activated carbon is what pulls out the majority of the odors the same way it gets rid of the chlorine taste in treated water. In theory you can try and track down a cabin filter that fits the ram that has activated carbon in it to help eliminate outside odors. I would not recommend changing the MERV rating of the filter because it would negatively affect the blower fan.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the carbon!! I Use it in my fish tank (with filters) for odors as well as this stand alone HEPA filter in my man cave where my Dog likes to hang out with me. The HEPA filter reduces the dander tremendously, but that carbon kills odors. I also have a carbon infused filter near her kennel for times she likes to hang out in there.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the carbon!! I Use it in my fish tank (with filters) for odors as well as this stand alone HEPA filter in my man cave where my Dog likes to hang out with me. The HEPA filter reduces the dander tremendously, but that carbon kills odors. I also have a carbon infused filter near her kennel for times she likes to hang out in there.
Yup civilizations best friend the carbon atom, hard at work like always.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know I have the Fram Frebreeze one in my 2014 and it has baking soda in it and works to eliminate odors too,

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just glad to have a cabin filter! There was none in my 2014 Laramie! Any one know if we can find a carbon lined one for our Rams?

Users who are viewing this thread