5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Got Beat for 2020

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know there was a news article about this on here but this shows the breakdown quite well, including HD’s and Classics. US data only. Thoughts?

Credit to “ carindustryanalysis “ on IG.

6DDDABFE-C10A-45A8-B9D8-F246FDAFDE23.jpeg

4251ED55-BE98-4A3D-A97F-2C27331752A4.jpeg

50BFC241-9F0C-4741-9637-3C5FCF0A0AB7.jpeg

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just looked it up on another source and it says that for 2020, there were 633,694 Ram trucks sold in the US and Canada. The Ford F-Series sold 896,526. Chevrolet sold 575,569 and GMC sold 232,325 for a GM total of 807,894. GM outsold RAM, but Chevrolet did not.

Your total F-Series count comes in about 60,000 units short for just the US, so I question how accurate any of our numbers are. I have found three different sources with three different numbers for the 2020 US sales only. For Ram in the US only, your count is about 25,000 less than what I found for the US only.

I think RAM is still number 2 based on what I found, but again, how accurate are my numbers. And it's obvious that Ford will win this battle with the number of buy backs and lemon law claims they have where most replace with a like vehicle. (That's a joke, btw)

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just looked it up on another source and it says that for 2020, there were 633,694 Ram trucks sold in the US and Canada. The Ford F-Series sold 896,526. Chevrolet sold 575,569 and GMC sold 232,325 for a GM total of 807,894. GM outsold RAM, but Chevrolet did not.

Your total F-Series count comes in about 60,000 units short for just the US, so I question how accurate any of our numbers are. I have found three different sources with three different numbers for the 2020 US sales only. For Ram in the US only, your count is about 25,000 less than what I found for the US only.

I think RAM is still number 2 based on what I found, but again, how accurate are my numbers. And it's obvious that Ford will win this battle with the number of buy backs and lemon law claims they have where most replace with a like vehicle. (That's a joke, btw)
Yeah I was getting some conflicted numbers too, broken up or adding HD's and past gens, including Canada, etc. Nothing added up, I just liked this break down and I still think GM as a whole beat Ram for 2020; which to me is surprising considering how much nicer and more discounted Ram's are; brand loyalty? I've had all 3 of the big boi's, Ram has them beat for sure.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had all 3 now also. I had a 2006 Silverado for 12 years that I just loved, with 165k miles and never a problem. Based on the drivetrain vibration issues with the newer GM trucks, I opted to try Ford in 2018 and got the F150. Less than a year later, it was lemon lawed. I finally got another truck, and this time it's the Ram. The interior is better than the other two and overall the exterior looks better than the GM trucks. I do like the F150 exterior look, but... I'm hoping the Ram is a keeper and I don't experience anything major.

I used to be loyal Chevrolet, but their car lineup has sucked for years and now the trucks aren't very appealing.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had all 3 now also. I had a 2006 Silverado for 12 years that I just loved, with 165k miles and never a problem. Based on the drivetrain vibration issues with the newer GM trucks, I opted to try Ford in 2018 and got the F150. Less than a year later, it was lemon lawed. I finally got another truck, and this time it's the Ram. The interior is better than the other two and overall the exterior looks better than the GM trucks. I do like the F150 exterior look, but... I'm hoping the Ram is a keeper and I don't experience anything major.

I used to be loyal Chevrolet, but their car lineup has sucked for years and now the trucks aren't very appealing.
Exactly

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the Ram truck manufacturing plants closed for a portion of the year?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045223 miles.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the Ram truck manufacturing plants closed for a portion of the year?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045223 miles.
supposedly, a lot of the plants were either closed temporality, idled, or had production slowed for almost every manufacturer.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
To ensure statistical accuracy, we must count off who purchased a 2020.

Ok i will go first.

One.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram has had great sales over the past decade and 2019 was down right fantastic, it would have been real tough to beat those numbers during a pandemic year.

Ram sold 500,723 trucks in 2017, 536,980 in 2018, and 633,604 in 2019.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You absolutely have to combine Chevy and GMC sales. It's literally the same truck, the differences are about as big as going from a big horn to a limited; ie. the differences can be boiled down to "it's a different trim".

Ford refuses to break out F150 from F250 and F350, and the differences between those models are huge. It's literally a different truck, different frame, different suspension, different drive train etc. If Ford can combine all those and say "Ford is the best selling truck", then you absolutely can combine Chevy and GMC and get to the realization that they beat Ford by a significant margin this year. And many other years as well. Those 2 constantly flip back and forth, though perhaps on average Ford has been number 1 more often than GMC + Chevy.

Doesn't matter to me though, my truck is still better than either the GM's or the Ford's, especially at the time I purchased mine. I don't worry about sales figures anymore than the Toyota faithful worry about Tundra sales :)

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those Silverado numbers are a true testament to brand loyalty. Drove a 2020 LTZ and it was inferior in almost every way. Rode terribly, looked cheap inside and out, the 5.3 and tranny are sluggish, infotainment is mediocre, seats uncomfortable, etc etc.

Absolutely.

And quite frankly, I'm ok with Ram being number 3. It keeps them hungry and motivated, and everybody wins in the end. Ram still makes a killing off of us, and we get a better truck for less money because they're trying so hard to get our sales.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO it’s all about cost reduction to the consumer. In 2019 Ram had some amazing deals and those discounted prices really helped their sales #’s. Especially where Ford was really not offering very many deals. Obviously in a pandemic year with limited supply the deals were not as good. I picked my 2020 up before covid really screwed things up and was able to haggle but as the year has gone on and all the manufacturers realized supply was slow to arrive the deals dissipated quite a bit. If they are able to sell the Rams at 2019 prices they will increase their sales dramatically. $15K+ off MSRP is pretty attractive when your opponents are only doing $6-8k off similarly equipped trucks. They are all too damn expensive anyway.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I've never really paid attention to these numbers to be honest. When I worked in the auto industry I dealt with all makes/models but one thing always stood out in the pickup world - Ford dominates the fleet market in Canada. Even those sales stats don't seem right (too low). The RCMP and municipal police/emergency vehicles were always Ford until maybe 2009 (don't quote me on that) and it was just so common I didn't even realize other companies got those contracts until I drove a GM Police SUV in 2011. After that it started to become more popular but I have yet to see the RCMP use anything other than a Ford. And that's just the police. They just dominate in every industry as far as trucks go. So if we're talking numbers, there's no way RAM can beat Ford up here.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you took out "Fleet Sales", I bet RAM would be #1 or #2..

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me for a 2020 purchase. I ditched going back to Chevy (dad is a GM retiree so pretty brand loyal in all lineups) simply because not one single knob or interior feature had changed since 2015 when I had my last truck. That and I simply do not like the look of the new body... got me looking elsewhere. My buddy is a salesman for Chevy/Ford/Chrysler/Ram and suggested the Ram and I am glad he did. Simply love this truck and the HEMI.

I bet most businesses still purchase Ford/Chevy would those be included in those numbers?

HAL9001

Reaction score
Ford and GM loyalists and fanatics will always drive those numbers. I used to be a Ford loyalist and would go right to Ford to buy a truck without even looking at anything else. That was a long time ago and that was stupid. Now that I'm older and (hopefully) wiser, I carefully research and analyze all options before buying. After doing that, RAM was clearly the winner.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never really paid attention to these numbers to be honest. When I worked in the auto industry I dealt with all makes/models but one thing always stood out in the pickup world - Ford dominates the fleet market in Canada. Even those sales stats don't seem right (too low). The RCMP and municipal police/emergency vehicles were always Ford until maybe 2009 (don't quote me on that) and it was just so common I didn't even realize other companies got those contracts until I drove a GM Police SUV in 2011. After that it started to become more popular but I have yet to see the RCMP use anything other than a Ford. And that's just the police. They just dominate in every industry as far as trucks go. So if we're talking numbers, there's no way RAM can beat Ford up here.
For the past three decades plus, fifty percent or better on average for F-series trucks, are from fleet sales.

Regards,
Dusty

ldoh

Reaction score
One of the local dealership storage lots have been depleted of Rams whereas there's always 100 or more new Rams lined up. Maybe a combination of good sales, slower production, or a dealership not willing to risk holding inventory when/if the bottom falls out of this economy.

When auto manufacturers reported sales numbers a week ago, GM's pickup sales were up significantly. I think Ram sales were slightly down.

Users who are viewing this thread