5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram finishes third in 2018 JD Power APEAL study out of the mainstream brands

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
20180328_162146.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Canadian Sport edition at the Vancouver International Autoshow (5thGenRams)

J.D. Power has released their 2018 Automotive Performance Execution and Layout (APEAL) study results with Ram coming in third place out of mainstream brands. Ram scored 825 points, just 1 point behind Chevrolet and GMC, the highest scoring mainstream brands which were tied at 826 points. Dodge and Ford were both one point behind Ram at 824 points.

"The 2018 U.S. Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study measures owners’ emotional attachment and level of excitement across 77 attributes, ranging from the power they feel when they step on the gas to the sense of comfort and luxury they feel when climbing into the driver’s seat. These attributes are combined into an overall APEAL index score that is measured on a 1,000-point scale. The study, now in its 23rd year, is based on responses gathered from November 2017 through February 2018 from nearly 68,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2018 model-year vehicles who were surveyed after 90 days of ownership. – Source J.D Power"​
The industry average score, including luxury brands was 820 points while the mainstream average score was 814 points. While the all new 2019 Ram 1500 wasn’t included in this report due to them arriving at dealers after the study was conducted, it just goes to show how good the outgoing 4th generation truck was. We expect a higher score from Ram next year due the all new class leading interior and technology features.

To see how the other FCA brands fared in this years J.D. Power APEAL study check out our report on our sister site, Moparinsiders, here.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Canadian Sport edition at the Vancouver International Autoshow (5thGenRams)

J.D. Power has released their 2018 Automotive Performance Execution and Layout (APEAL) study results with Ram coming in third place out of mainstream brands. Ram scored 825 points, just 1 point behind Chevrolet and GMC, the highest scoring mainstream brands which were tied at 826 points. Dodge and Ford were both one point behind Ram at 824 points.

"The 2018 U.S. Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study measures owners’ emotional attachment and level of excitement across 77 attributes, ranging from the power they feel when they step on the gas to the sense of comfort and luxury they feel when climbing into the driver’s seat. These attributes are combined into an overall APEAL index score that is measured on a 1,000-point scale. The study, now in its 23rd year, is based on responses gathered from November 2017 through February 2018 from nearly 68,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2018 model-year vehicles who were surveyed after 90 days of ownership. – Source J.D Power"​
The industry average score, including luxury brands was 820 points while the mainstream average score was 814 points. While the all new 2019 Ram 1500 wasn’t included in this report due to them arriving at dealers after the study was conducted, it just goes to show how good the outgoing 4th generation truck was. We expect a higher score from Ram next year due the all new class leading interior and technology features.

To see how the other FCA brands fared in this years J.D. Power APEAL study check out our report on our sister site, Moparinsiders, here.
Thanks, interesting, and no doubt about to change a little with all the new models coming out.

Is there an actual link to the whole list somewhere (didn’t find it on moparinsiders)? Seems like the study may have an odd methodology if four truck brands surveyed by 68,000 people all scored 825+-1... what could possibly have corraled all those responses into that statistically narrow window? First vs third... not really, that’s effectively a four way tie.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, interesting, and no doubt about to change a little with all the new models coming out.

Is there an actual link to the whole list somewhere (didn’t find it on moparinsiders)? Seems like the study may have an odd methodology if four truck brands surveyed by 68,000 people all scored 825+-1... what could possibly have corraled all those responses into that statistically narrow window? First vs third... not really, that’s effectively a four way tie.

It's all done by Manufacturer, not by segment. Ram would basically be all trucks as thats all they make aside from the Promaster and Promaster city vans, same with GMC, but Ford, Chevrolet and all other brands would contain their whole lineup.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all done by Manufacturer, not by segment. Ram would basically be all trucks as thats all they make aside from the Promaster and Promaster city vans, same with GMC, but Ford, Chevrolet and all other brands would contain their whole lineup.
Thanks for the link... effectively a twelve way tie at the top end of the mass market brands.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
17 pont seperation, seems close to me. Although without knowing their full testing methodology 1 point could be a big deal, or not.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
As soon as I seen JD Power I thought about that dude, Mahk and all his videos bashing Chevy commercials for "made up" JD Power awards....

Though funny I kinda feel his take on it wasn't too far off base. Looking at how these award categories are surmised I find it to be more a popular opinion award.

But kudos on the 18s ratings. Having used an 18 Laramie for the last two week; I feel the 19s are a not so subtle improvement in all categories. My wife thought I was being a brat because I was complaining about not having my truck...but she changed her tune once we got back in the Bighorn and admitted she preferred the 19 all around.

That being said I feel like Ram will take the other trucks (coming from a Ford truck guy up to a month ago)

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as I seen JD Power I thought about that dude, Mahk and all his videos bashing Chevy commercials for "made up" JD Power awards....

I knew someone would be bringing up those videos. :ROFLMAO: I agree that they're hilarious lol.

Users who are viewing this thread