5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram eTorque on Hold?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I came across this article today, and it suggests that eTorque production may be delayed by the EPA approval process: http://www.autoverdict.com/chrysler/ram/2019-ram-1500-faces-delays/. The author could be on to something, or he could simply be using the absence of eTorque model production to create a headline.

Previous posts on this forum have suggested eTorque production starting around 6/14, but I'm curious to know whether we know those dates to be current.

Meanwhile, some would-be buyers are turning elsewhere (perhaps due to the slow launch), as this article points out: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ram-1500-alive-fuel-sipper-v6-remains-hiding/. Hopefully FCA can get over this 'hump' before Ford and GM give out too many trucks!

1Raider

Reaction score
Yea I'm glad I didn't order the new eTorque now as I started to take the leap... lol

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the eTorque is on hold per say, we were never given a production start date for the eTorque from FCA. 5thGenRams has been predicting a summer production start, now whether it's because they aren't ready to build it, or they're waiting on the EPA , there are other circumstances or it is actually on FCAs own schedule I don't know.

There is an article going around that is full of speculation that other outlets are now quoting and writing their own articles about the subject. I will actually be countering with my own article tomorrow.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is an article going around that is full of speculation that I will actually be countering with my own article tomorrow.
Yeah, it does sound like fear-mongering. If I recall correctly, FCA has repeatedly stated that eTorque would be available "later this year", i.e. no specific date. While it would be great to receive my truck in June/July, I fully expect that it will be late summer or early fall before it arrives.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well this sucks.

Thank you for the news though.

I do wonder how they put me in D1 status with an eTorque though? Every message from them is "parts allocated and awaiting your build date". How can they have parts allocated if eTorque is nowhere near ready to begin shipping?

1Raider

Reaction score
I'm in D1 also but with only a Rambox an Offroad group,no eTorque..
Wonder what's the holdup on the Rambox's?
FCA has been building them for years,is it the new design or flaws like there was with the preproduction model like in the videos thats giving them fits?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it is a mostly new RamBox with different molds, lighting in the doors, etc. so they are basically spinning up brand new parts.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not buy an e-torque the 1st year. FCA does not have a good history with the EPA and the EPA is watching them very closely after the ecodiesel issue in 2017.

D

Deleted member 85

I would not buy an e-torque the 1st year. FCA does not have a good history with the EPA and the EPA is watching them very closely after the ecodiesel issue in 2017.
EPA is watching all brands offering a light-duty diesel closely, FCA's EcoDiesel just happens to be in that mix. A gasoline engine, with or without E-Torque, should not be tough to certify. The real interesting bit here is how much of an improvement EPA will show on their testing, as they are awful for showing real world improvements. IE - EcoBust was built for testing, like the smart kid at school who doesn't have any work ethic as they spent their whole life learning how to take tests. Real world, a 3.5 EcoBust and my Hemi get the same economy, difference being good ol' 87 octane.

Kramersp

Reaction score
EPA is watching all brands offering a light-duty diesel closely, FCA's EcoDiesel just happens to be in that mix. A gasoline engine, with or without E-Torque, should not be tough to certify. The real interesting bit here is how much of an improvement EPA will show on their testing, as they are awful for showing real world improvements. IE - EcoBust was built for testing, like the smart kid at school who doesn't have any work ethic as they spent their whole life learning how to take tests. Real world, a 3.5 EcoBust and my Hemi get the same economy, difference being good ol' 87 octane.
You can run regular fuel in an EcoBoost all day long. It only recommends premium for excessive duty. And yea, my EcoBoost doesnt get that great of gas mileage. About the same as by friends 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi. The difference is, in a race I smoke him every time. No matter the condition. Blow his doors off. Now, he has air ride and his truck rides like a caddy! Oh, and both of our trucks are 2013 so its apples to apples. As far as e torque, more gubment BS holding up progress. Wouldnt surprise me.

D

Deleted member 85

You can run regular fuel in an EcoBoost all day long. It only recommends premium for excessive duty. And yea, my EcoBoost doesnt get that great of gas mileage. About the same as by friends 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi. The difference is, in a race I smoke him every time. No matter the condition. Blow his doors off. Now, he has air ride and his truck rides like a caddy! Oh, and both of our trucks are 2013 so its apples to apples. As far as e torque, more gubment BS holding up progress. Wouldnt surprise me.
I would never run regular gasoline on a force-inducted engine, ever, ever, ever.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I would never run regular gasoline on a force-inducted engine, ever, ever, ever.
That's all you. I just do what the factory suggests. When I'm towing my bass boat across the country I fill up with premium. Daily driving I fill up with regular. Never a hiccup. Always a torque monster.

D

Deleted member 85

That's all you. I just do what the factory suggests. When I'm towing my bass boat across the country I fill up with premium. Daily driving I fill up with regular. Never a hiccup. Always a torque monster.
Totally fair, just a matter of opinion. Don't forget, I am a huge fanboy of my brand, and have an extremely biased opinion. When you literally have to overcome "Why buy a Ram instead of a Ford" on a daily basis, you have to buy-in to the differences.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I'm buying a Ram over a ford. Not for the drivetrain but for the ride and epic interior.

srm3500

Reaction score
http://www.autoverdict.com/reviews/first-drive-2019-ram-1500-closes-the-gap/

At the launch of the 2019 Ram 1500, FCA brass christened the new truck with a mission: overtake the Chevrolet Silverado. If RAM were ever to close the roughly 85,000-unit sales gap, the time may be now or never. In terms of product execution itself, however, the new Ram 1500 has already zeroed in on its target.
The showdown descends on two battlefields: powertrain and interior. Recent reports of delayed deliveries of the eTorque 48-volt mild-hybrid V6 and V8 models were actually always in the plan, according to Ram spokesman Dave Elshoff. V8-powered eTorque mild hybrids are in production as of today, Elshoff said, and should ship to dealers by the end of July. V6 mild hybrids, the base powertrain in all but the two highest trim levels, will arrive at dealers in the third quarter of 2018.

Boatjockey

Reaction score

At the launch of the 2019 Ram 1500, FCA brass christened the new truck with a mission: overtake the Chevrolet Silverado. If RAM were ever to close the roughly 85,000-unit sales gap, the time may be now or never. In terms of product execution itself, however, the new Ram 1500 has already zeroed in on its target.
The showdown descends on two battlefields: powertrain and interior. Recent reports of delayed deliveries of the eTorque 48-volt mild-hybrid V6 and V8 models were actually always in the plan, according to Ram spokesman Dave Elshoff. V8-powered eTorque mild hybrids are in production as of today, Elshoff said, and should ship to dealers by the end of July. V6 mild hybrids, the base powertrain in all but the two highest trim levels, will arrive at dealers in the third quarter of 2018.
You have to love the use of the words "always in the plan", "should ship", and the use of a quarter (nice 3 month window). Talk about not wanting to commit to anything.

D

Deleted member 85

You have to love the use of the words "always in the plan", "should ship", and the use of a quarter (nice 3 month window). Talk about not wanting to commit to anything.
Often, FCA uses "third quarter" because some dealers will have theirs arrive in the first month of the quarter, while others, (or us Canadians) will have ours in the last month of the quarter.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score

Ok they are being built per se Dave. Now the question is has the truck been approved, because even if they are built they will not leave the factory until approved.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
V6 mild hybrids, the base powertrain in all but the two highest trim levels, will arrive at dealers in the third quarter of 2018.

Huh, I wonder if the V6 not being the base engine in the Longhorn and Limited is a recent decision or if that's a typo in the brochure. The brochure on the Ram site shows the V6 available on all models. Unless it's bizarrely being positioned as an upgrade from the non-etorque 5.7 on those two models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/