5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Connect - Why ?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying you have remote lock/unlock, remotes start, vehicle location on your 2019? I would like to add that to my 2021, but the website says Ram Connect is only available on select 2022 Ram models. Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Mine was a limited 2019 with the technology package. I am not sure since your signature is blank whether or not you have it available on your truck so I have no idea if it’s available for you. It should be pretty obvious if you have it available or not. I am not sure you can add it on after the fact.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you saying you have remote lock/unlock, remotes start, vehicle location on your 2019? I would like to add that to my 2021, but the website says Ram Connect is only available on select 2022 Ram models. Am I looking at the wrong thing?
2019-2021 and 2022-2024 have differnet packages.

The Ramconnect app is ONLY for 2022+
The UConnect app is ONLY for 2019-2021

They both have differnet versions of subscriptions and do not always overlap in packages.

That said you can get remote start with the uConnect app, ie your 2021 as long as it can remote start from the factory fob and you have connected services on your head unit (I believe it is the nav head units on the 2021s)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If your vehicle didn't have it as a free trial when new, you can't add it after the fact.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
Side note, if you use CarPlay there is literally no good reason to use built in Nav. Apple Maps or Google Maps through CarPlay will work much better and be more integrated. The factory nav just isn’t good.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019-2021 and 2022-2024 have differnet packages.

The Ramconnect app is ONLY for 2022+
The UConnect app is ONLY for 2019-2021

They both have differnet versions of subscriptions and do not always overlap in packages.

That said you can get remote start with the uConnect app, ie your 2021 as long as it can remote start from the factory fob and you have connected services on your head unit (I believe it is the nav head units on the 2021s)
Just an FYI. So my 2019 has converted to the RAM app and not the uconnect app anymore (I "think" they discontinued the uconnect app). I am not sure about other models.

Oldmanbs

Reaction score
Im in the very early days of ownership and have come to understand im presently getting a limited time free trial of all that Ram Connect can do, whatever that may be. Im an average 63 year old guy when it comes to tech. I like some of it, learn and forget some of it, and cannot understand some of it.
Id like to know what im getting now, and more importantly, what ill lose if i dont subscribe to it after the trial. I saw somewhere a multi tier level of choices regarding subscription, starting with $5 a month. Id pay a little if i had to, but do i need to at all ?
Techy things in the truck im currently using and could not lose, are the navigation system, and apple car play (with which i am an interested novice ).
I certainly dont need to be able to start my truck from space with the app, (the standard fat fobs ability is fine with me) but see sense in the location services should my truck be stolen. The SOS and Assist system must surely function all the time, at least to a certain degree, right ?
Ive read all the propagandic info that was emailed to me and watched the videos etc. It all serves to further confuse for the most part.

So what have you average tech guys/gals decided to do? Id like to get a feeling for what will quit working after, what is it, 3 months ?
Cheers,
Kiwi.
Starting of truck from inside stores, movies, ect, and vehicle finder alarm notifications fuel prices and location are a few of the things I use the Uconnect for.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Side note, if you use CarPlay there is literally no good reason to use built in Nav. Apple Maps or Google Maps through CarPlay will work much better and be more integrated. The factory nav just isn’t good.

I've found the factory Nav to be much more reliable than CarPlay. Too often carplay just disconnects while driving down the road and will not reconnect until I pull over, shut off and restart the truck. Also, streaming audio through Carplay cuts out often and is not as good of quality if streaming over bluetooth with carplay disconnected.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've found the factory Nav to be much more reliable than CarPlay. Too often carplay just disconnects while driving down the road and will not reconnect until I pull over, shut off and restart the truck. Also, streaming audio through Carplay cuts out often and is not as good of quality if streaming over bluetooth with carplay disconnected.
Same. The wired android auto/CarPlay is terrible and constantly cuts in and out. Normally this is a cable issue. I constantly have to replace cables to make android auto/CarPlay somewhat reliable. The issue is if I need to grab my phone I have to go through the circus of moving the cable, turning the phone on and off, swapping cables, etc. It's a nightmare. The 2025 Rams better have wireless android auto/CarPlay.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same. The wired android auto/CarPlay is terrible and constantly cuts in and out. Normally this is a cable issue. I constantly have to replace cables to make android auto/CarPlay somewhat reliable. The issue is if I need to grab my phone I have to go through the circus of moving the cable, turning the phone on and off, swapping cables, etc. It's a nightmare. The 2025 Rams better have wireless android auto/CarPlay.

My 23 has wireless carplay and it cuts out and disconnects often.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 23 has wireless carplay and it cuts out and disconnects often.
Oh God. You just ruined my day. lol. I was hoping that it would be a much better experience compared to the wired version. Here's to hoping they fixed whatever issues you had in the 2025 model. My wife has it on her Toyota and it works flawlessly without any cut outs.
I actually use my CD player in my truck now since I want music to start playing when I Start my truck. I also don't want to have to fidget with my phone and stereo every time I get in my truck. I never use Android Auto/CarPlay unless it's a long drive and I need some sort of directions. I will test this out when my new one comes to make sure it's working as it should.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh God. You just ruined my day. lol. I was hoping that it would be a much better experience compared to the wired version. Here's to hoping they fixed whatever issues you had in the 2025 model. My wife has it on her Toyota and it works flawlessly without any cut outs.
I actually use my CD player in my truck now since I want music to start playing when I Start my truck. I also don't want to have to fidget with my phone and stereo every time I get in my truck. I never use Android Auto/CarPlay unless it's a long drive and I need some sort of directions. I will test this out when my new one comes to make sure it's working as it should.

I've found it will disconnect less often if you leave the phone in the holder directly below the screen and do not move it. Even then it will still occasionally disconnect or cut out and it seems to occur at the worst times.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

If you use Android Auto, it has has been flawless for me. As a matter of fact, I don't recall reading any issue with wireless Andriod Auto for UC5.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you use Android Auto, it has has been flawless for me. As a matter of fact, I don't recall reading any issue with wireless Andriod Auto for UC5.
I have both CarPlay and Android Auto and I will say CarPlay integrates better with the truck, but Android Auto seems more reliable when I did use it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have both CarPlay and Android Auto and I will say CarPlay integrates better with the truck, but Android Auto seems more reliable when I did use it.
I find it comical that CarPlay works better on an Android HU than Android Auto. Not saying it doesn't, just saying that it's just ironic. No difference on the older UC4 though. They both worked the same.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
That's fair but I've never had a single issue, wired or wireless.
Audio over wireless CarPlay is also much higher, factually, as it doesn't use bluetooth for audio transmission but used the Wifi.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's fair but I've never had a single issue, wired or wireless.
Audio over wireless CarPlay is also much higher, factually, as it doesn't use bluetooth for audio transmission but used the Wifi.

My experience is the opposite and similar to the multiple people having wireless carplay issues in this thread. My sound quality is very noticeably better over bluetooth than it is over carplay and it doesn't cut out or randomly disconnect.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with android auto cutting out with USB cable on my 2020 and 12.1" display. As mentioned, quality of the cable is a big thing, especially for apple, but I'm just using an Amazon Basics USB-C cable with my Pixel 6. And google maps is far better than the built in Nav. Especially around here. There are still areas where a road has been built for over 10 years that the factory Nav doesn't recognize as a roadm

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
My experience is the opposite and similar to the multiple people having wireless carplay issues in this thread. My sound quality is very noticeably better over bluetooth than it is over carplay and it doesn't cut out or randomly disconnect.That’s unfortunate, definitely not working as intended the.
That’s unfortunate, definitely not the designed purpose of CarPlay. Hope the next go at it is better for you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
2022s have wireless AA and CP.
Why would you expect wireless to be more stable then wired?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2022s have wireless AA and CP.
Why would you expect wireless to be more stable then wired?
My wife and brother both have wireless AA and CP and they said they’ve never had any issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread