5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram boat towing?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you expand on why you (or anyone else that didn't like them after using) didn't like the 1000s? Seems we are talking about TG spring replacement vs 1000 spring helper. I am also considering the 1000s. Have Sumos, never tried timbren bumpstops.
I plan on Timber Groves assist bags, not spring replacement.

Airlift 1000's just don't help that much with sag, which was the only reason for installing them.

Also, and unrelated, they don't provide any lift. They just attempt to stiffen the spring by filling the area between the coils. I want to be able to assist leveling when using my roof top tent offroad by airing up one side over the other.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
I tow a 9k lb camper, a 4k lb empty dump trailer and my boat thats prob close to 6k with the air lifts. They 100% help with sag if you air them up first before hooking the trailer up. I have at least 15,000 miles towing with them and they are well worth it for the price.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 9k lb camper, a 4k lb empty dump trailer and my boat thats prob close to 6k with the air lifts. They 100% help with sag if you air them up first before hooking the trailer up. I have at least 15,000 miles towing with them and they are well worth it for the price.
What pressure do you run in them and does your truck have the off road group? I run 45psi and see a little improvement, but not that impressive having had Firestone Ride Rite on my previous truck.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
What pressure do you run in them and does your truck have the off road group? I run 45psi and see a little improvement, but not that impressive having had Firestone Ride Rite on my previous truck.
I run anywhere from 35-45 lbs in them. Maybe because you have the offroad group the springs are different.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think I'll make some spacers to put under the bags for now. See if that helps. Still want Timber Groves though for overlanding.

RustyR

Reaction score
Im considering sumo springs, Ive heard the "blue" 1000lb rated may be less harsh than the "black" 1500lb rated. Which ones did you install/remove?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im considering sumo springs, Ive heard the "blue" 1000lb rated may be less harsh than the "black" 1500lb rated. Which ones did you install/remove?
I’ve the softest, and used the spacer, even though ORP wasn’t listed, and I still ride on the sumo. It was suggested by sumo to taper the end to soften the hit on bumps. They really should have developed the Ram app a little more before releasing. Can’t imagine the ride on a non ORP. I plan to taper, since I’m a machinist.

dukabor

Reaction score
Finally decided on bags, bought and installed….

Was hard to get the Timber Groves in Canada, sent off an email to the distributor and did not receive anything back, and the clock was ticking, so I went with the Airlift 5000 Ultimate, not the plus….

Picked them up yesterday and pulled into the shop for the install….

I will say, I remained hesitant about the cutting of the upper bump stop bracket, first because I would have preferred a no cut option to revert back to stock if required, but I got over it…. Then the problem became how to make the cut…. Lots of wires and hoses in the area and I could not stuff the angle grinder up there, so I tried the dremel, and while it was good to have the control in that small space, after bust in a bunch of little blades I grabbed an air powered sawzall, was a much smaller size so it was able to get into the tight space…. Worked well… and after the cuts were made I was able to stuff the angle grinder up there to clean up the cuts….

At that point I thought the worst was behind me, but despite getting as much axle droop as possible I felt like I needed three hands getting/keeping the carriage bolts in place (the wire bolt keepers included did their job for sure), and then needed another set of hand to pump the jack under the axle up and release down in order to align the top bracket bolts… after using significant amounts of choice language I was able to bring the oooosah and get it done….

Lastly running the lines was made way easier pulling the rear wheels off to attach the lines to the back (likely not necessary with the plus kit with braided lines), ran the lines through the frame and after debating awhile on where I would position the stems, I notice the license plate has no lower bolt holes in the rear so I ran them there…. (pic attached)

First ride with 5lbs honestly doesnt seem any fought then usual with the 22 inch wheels…. Will have the first town next week and likely have an update then…

IMG_3562.jpeg

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And another member since pointed out that Reese hd WDH hitches that DO work with surge brake too! I was surprised and stand corrected.

dukabor

Reaction score
Finally summer, picked up the boat at the dealer…. threw 50 lbs in the airbags, ended up dropping down to 22-23 once I hooked up to level, she pulled like a champ….

Never hit a scale, but I will to verify…. Boat is ‘supposed’ to be 6400lbs dry on the trailer, I have about 40 gallons of fuel in the tank, and 1000lbs of lead (600 in the rear and 400 up front), you could tell the extra tongue weight, but it was balanced nicely…. Had a couple tough mountain passes, no issues at all!

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpeg
    IMG_3762.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread