5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram boat towing?

dukabor

Reaction score
I see the thread for campers, and tried looking for a boat towing thread to no avail (but I am a novice at the search)

I picked up my truck replacing the 98 1500 5.2, as the boat grew bigger last summer (24.5’ wake boat) about 6200# before topping up the 70 gallon tank….

I’ve got the 3.92’s and trailer tow package, and debating on which airbags at the moment (leaning to Timber Grove) but who else tows their boats with their 5th gen and what have you discovered along the way….

Attachments

• CC756EB8-0535-419B-BDA8-91ADF2321F84.jpeg
    CC756EB8-0535-419B-BDA8-91ADF2321F84.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 21' Monark aluminum, and guess the weight at 5k loaded. Will have to scale it one of these days.
One thing that I noticed is that wind is not your friend. Although it tows ok, I definitely notice it back there. And, speed is a big factor, so I keep it down.
I know that there are quite a few on here that tow boats, so enjoy the come-backs.
Be safe

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 24' Crownline. I installed timbrens(I also tow a travel trailer), they are coming off in the spring and will be upgrading. Other than that no issues.

fishingmaniac

Reaction score
Get the airlift 1000hd airbags. They where pretty much designed for this truck. My 1500 with 3.92 gears tow my boat easily. I put airbags on it to assist.with the trailer and bed loaded to the hilt with gear. I also use this truck as a backup if my 2500 is out of service. I tow large dump trailers with it and the airbags are necessary for those.

dukabor

Reaction score
I was looking at the 1000hd, then almost bought the airlift 5000 ultimates, but was hesitant due to the cutting, which led me to the timber groves…. I had heard (though no personal experience) the 1000’s may not have enough oomph to level out…. I dont mind a little overkill, because its not a light boat…

beetlespin

Reaction score
I tow a Caymas CX18ss with a 150hp Mercury on the back.

You can watch the fuel gauge drop as you tow down the highway.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a Caymas CX18ss with a 150hp Mercury on the back.

You can watch the fuel gauge drop as you tow down the highway.
Weight of tow really doesn't seem to matter, but wind resistance does. Surprising how much drag a boat and trailer adds. I see the same thing with even a smallish trailer.

dukabor

Reaction score
I am reasonable lucky in my area where the wind isn’t a large factor, though it is surprising how something designed to be efficient in the water gets grabbed by the wind, perhaps sometimes its how it comes off the truck as well….

The large factor in my area (mostly towing in southern British Columbia are the long hard grinding mountain passes! That poor little 5.2 and 3 speed trans in the 98 was a trooper, but i am hoping for much better things with the 5.7 and 8 speed, hoping to double the gears I normally used on some of those hills!

I see most of the guys towing in this area have not gone the WDH route, not sure exactly why, though I am sure many people tow the boat to a lake and keep it there for the summer….

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am reasonable lucky in my area where the wind isn’t a large factor, though it is surprising how something designed to be efficient in the water gets grabbed by the wind, perhaps sometimes its how it comes off the truck as well….

The large factor in my area (mostly towing in southern British Columbia are the long hard grinding mountain passes! That poor little 5.2 and 3 speed trans in the 98 was a trooper, but i am hoping for much better things with the 5.7 and 8 speed, hoping to double the gears I normally used on some of those hills!

I see most of the guys towing in this area have not gone the WDH route, not sure exactly why, though I am sure many people tow the boat to a lake and keep it there for the summer….
Don't think I've ever seen a WDH with a boat trailer. Generally one can move the boat for or aft to achieve proper tongue load. With a conventional RV that is not possible, hence the WDH

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Towed a Mastercraft X25 several times for my uncle which is about the same size/weight as yours. Really the only thing I had to get used to was the surge brakes on the trailer. Like Trooper said, you can shift the boat if needed for weight distribution. Didn't see a need for a WDH.

I have Timber Groves and will always be an advocate for them. They're rock solid, and I have not had a single issue since I installed them, although they weren't my first airbag install. Not cutting/drilling was huge for me, and with these you just bolt them up.

dukabor

Reaction score
Thanks…. Yeah the no cutting has been the big selling point for me…. Thanks for the real world review with the boat, this certainly helps as well

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't use a WDH on a boat trailer because it would interfere with the surge brake function.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
I have the airlift bags in my truck. Tows the boat great. 2021 Bennington r23 with a 300 Suzuki

Attachments

• AE96EC74-986B-4CCC-B601-D0F221C6A551.jpeg
    AE96EC74-986B-4CCC-B601-D0F221C6A551.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 32

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't use a WDH on a boat trailer because it would interfere with the surge brake function.
You most certainly can. This worked great for me, towing a Four Winns 268 with a Ram 2500.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at the 1000hd, then almost bought the airlift 5000 ultimates, but was hesitant due to the cutting, which led me to the timber groves…. I had heard (though no personal experience) the 1000’s may not have enough oomph to level out…. I dont mind a little overkill, because its not a light boat…
I pull a camper not a boat and occasionally have a heavy load in the bed. I was skeptical of the Airlift 1000's, but the price was nice. After several months with them, I wish I'd just put that toward Timber Groves. I'll be switching one of these days.

dukabor

Reaction score
Thats confirming what I have heard as well… though as I am finding getting timber groves in canada may be a tad difficult…. We shall see, will send off an email to the distributor tonight for a quote and an understanding of timing

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Timber Grove is the only set I've found (though I'm sure I haven't seen them all) that didn't require cutting something off my Rebel. Plus, they look pretty robust and not heard any complaints.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pull a camper not a boat and occasionally have a heavy load in the bed. I was skeptical of the Airlift 1000's, but the price was nice. After several months with them, I wish I'd just put that toward Timber Groves. I'll be switching one of these days.
Can you expand on why you (or anyone else that didn't like them after using) didn't like the 1000s? Seems we are talking about TG spring replacement vs 1000 spring helper. I am also considering the 1000s. Have Sumos, never tried timbren bumpstops.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow without any helper springs or bags in the rear. I do have Bilstein 5100s but that's all. Truck tows just fine with slight rear end sag.
E rated tires def helped with sway.
I tried sumo springs to help with sag but I didn't like how harsh the ride was with them installed.

IMG_20200422_154936.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread