5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 3500 multiple electrical/computer issues

bopkyta

Reaction score
Hey everyone, our RAM 3500, 2020 is on the brink of collapse. Long story short, the truck is mainly used for long hauling trailers across Canada and the US, 99% highway driven, the milage is around 60k. I was driving it today, towing a trailer, as always, when a message appeared- "blind spot alert unavailable, service required" then a few seconds after "power step unavailable service required" and then a few more of these. After a while the main display went off. Also couldn't raise or lower the windows. Heat, a/c, lane control, 4wd drive, Uconnect, basically everything that was controlled through the main display was off. The left blinker also went off for some reason. I pulled over and checked fuses, doesn't seem to be an issue, so I restarted the computer by detaching the batteries, didn't help either. So I decided to go the dealer since the truck was still drivable, the closest one was 70 miles away and I was in the middle of nowhere so I didn't see many option. During the drive the truck went crazy. Everything was on and off, the heat, the display, the lights and so on. It all kept turning on and off randomly. But the worst part was that the trailer started braking by itself for no reason. I literally turned the blinker on and the trailer started braking. The only things that were still under my control were acceleration, truck brakes and the steering wheel, pretty much everything else was going nuts. The truck also drives a little rough, feels like a slight power loss, also kind of rough when idling. The dealership just told me to wait for a week until they are free enough to take a look at it. Of all ODB2 codes there's only C2100-16 which is a low voltage. The system shows the voltage to be at 14.1 which is normal, but I don't know if it's correct. Just wondering if anybody knows what the issue could be? Thank you!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, our RAM 3500, 2020 is on the brink of collapse. Long story short, the truck is mainly used for long hauling trailers across Canada and the US, 99% highway driven, the milage is around 60k. I was driving it today, towing a trailer, as always, when a message appeared- "blind spot alert unavailable, service required" then a few seconds after "power step unavailable service required" and then a few more of these. After a while the main display went off. Also couldn't raise or lower the windows. Heat, a/c, lane control, 4wd drive, Uconnect, basically everything that was controlled through the main display was off. The left blinker also went off for some reason. I pulled over and checked fuses, doesn't seem to be an issue, so I restarted the computer by detaching the batteries, didn't help either. So I decided to go the dealer since the truck was still drivable, the closest one was 70 miles away and I was in the middle of nowhere so I didn't see many option. During the drive the truck went crazy. Everything was on and off, the heat, the display, the lights and so on. It all kept turning on and off randomly. But the worst part was that the trailer started braking by itself for no reason. I literally turned the blinker on and the trailer started braking. The only things that were still under my control were acceleration, truck brakes and the steering wheel, pretty much everything else was going nuts. The truck also drives a little rough, feels like a slight power loss, also kind of rough when idling. The dealership just told me to wait for a week until they are free enough to take a look at it. Of all ODB2 codes there's only C2100-16 which is a low voltage. The system shows the voltage to be at 14.1 which is normal, but I don't know if it's correct. Just wondering if anybody knows what the issue could be? Thank you!

1. Join HDRAMS.COM
2. FULLY SEAT ALL PDC FUSES
3. CHECK all fender/under hood grounds.

jkm312

Reaction score
Another place to look is under the fuse box cover under the hood. I saw some discussion not long ago about some loose and missing nuts holding the cables on the control board. Intermittent problems like you describe are a nightmare to find sometimes. My last truck acted similar like you describe. Turns out it was a loose ground on the left front frame behind the front wheel. That cable ran up to the fuse box, had it's own ground.

bopkyta

Reaction score
Just an update if anyone interested. Went to the shop today, they couldn't find anything. Fuses, grounds, etc all good. Most likely the issue is a faulty module, booked another appointment in 2 days for further diagnostic.

MiamiRAM3500

Reaction score
I am experiencing the EXACT same issue. Every single detail is identical . The message appeared- "blind spot alert unavailable, service required" then a few seconds after "power step unavailable service required" and then a few more of these. After a while the main display went off. Also couldn't raise or lower the windows. Heat, a/c, lane control, 4wd drive, Uconnect, basically everything that was controlled through the main display was off.

MiamiRAM3500

Reaction score
Just an update if anyone interested. Went to the shop today, they couldn't find anything. Fuses, grounds, etc all good. Most likely the issue is a faulty module, booked another appointment in 2 days for further diagnostic.
I just dropped off my truck at the dealership. They said it will take seven days before they could even look at it because they only have one technician who deals with electronics. Did they ever resolve the issue issue with you?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just dropped off my truck at the dealership. They said it will take seven days before they could even look at it because they only have one technician who deals with electronics. Did they ever resolve the issue issue with you?
Last time he was here was on Dec. 5th. 2022.

nwalk4

Reaction score
First post on this forum, long time lurker. I am having the exact same issues on a 2019 1500 BigHorn; did you find a solution from the shop? They can’t get me in until the end of the month.
will hope to check the grounds and voltage where i can.

Users who are viewing this thread