5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 owners...Tell me the pros and cons. I'm trying to decide which pickup to buy. Edit: I bought a '24 RAM 1500 Limited! Yippee!

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
How big a deal is it if my truck has a 26-gallon tank instead of a 33-gallon tank? I ask because the best deal so far on a 2024 Limited is one with a 26-gallon tank. The other 2 trucks (at 2 different dealerships) have 33-gallon tanks, but one has the 6'4" bed (really don't need it) while the other choice is $500 more expensive than the truck with the 26-gallon tank. If 26 gallons is adequate, I save $500.

I don't know why I'm worried about it as my Tacoma only has an 18-gallon tank! Sheesh.
Oh man, you are about to start a firestorm of comments.
Might as well ask for opinions on 3.21 vs 3.92 and automatic car washes while we're at it.

mplaramie

Reaction score
How big a deal is it if my truck has a 26-gallon tank instead of a 33-gallon tank? I ask because the best deal so far on a 2024 Limited is one with a 26-gallon tank. The other 2 trucks (at 2 different dealerships) have 33-gallon tanks, but one has the 6'4" bed (really don't need it) while the other choice is $500 more expensive than the truck with the 26-gallon tank. If 26 gallons is adequate, I save $500.

I don't know why I'm worried about it as my Tacoma only has an 18-gallon tank! Sheesh.
If you tow, get the 33g tank. It's a small upgrade but is important when people tow or drive a **** ton of miles.

mresseguie

Reaction score
Oh man, you are about to start a firestorm of comments.
Might as well ask for opinions on 3.21 vs 3.92 and automatic car washes while we're at it.
My apologies. I'm still new here. Fortunately for me, I already determined that I want the 3.92. ....Automatic car washes? Sounds like a huge can of worms....I won't ask. :D

I've learned quite a lot here already. I'm glad I found this website. I think I'll have my new RAM 1500 Limited tomorrow afternoon.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

No issues with the 26 gallon tank. You can still get over 400 miles on a tank on road trips. That's enough distance to need to stop to stretch your legs and take a bathroom break. Which gives time to pump some gas.

PM-Performance

Reaction score

26 gallon is already an upgraded tank. If you don’t tow alot, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Jmac509

Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention some of those trucks came with 23 gallon tanks. Might be worth double checking the window sticker.

mresseguie

Reaction score
It turned out that I didn't buy my new 1500 Limited today because I temporarily got distracted by a GMC Denali 3L diesel test drive. The Denali was within a few hundred dollars of the Limited, so I figured it was worth a shot. Both my wife and I decided that we prefer the Limited, so we'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon. [It's got the 33-gallon tank.] I'll post a photo of it once I figure out how to post photos on this forum.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I'm officially a new 2024 RAM 1500 Limited owner! :cool: It's going to take me a while to learn how to use all the controls, but I've already mastered the gas and brake pedals. This vehicle is not a pickup - it's a sports car!

If you want a better handling truck, many of us use the hellwig sway bar (mine is on the tightest setting) to stiffen up the rear end, works great.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm officially a new 2024 RAM 1500 Limited owner! :cool: It's going to take me a while to learn how to use all the controls, but I've already mastered the gas and brake pedals. This vehicle is not a pickup - it's a sports car!
Congratulations! Assuming you got the power running boards (you'll come to LOVE them) and the Advanced Safety Group with the adaptive cruise control. I think you'll love that too! BTW, I'm late to the party but I've got a '19 Laramie (highly optioned) and I freakin LOVE it, even with 122K miles. I get between 19 and 21 on the highway depending on winter/summer fuel and it is the most comfortable road tripper I've ever had. I did have to replace one exhaust manifold under warranty and I think I may have a wheel bearing going out now, but otherwise It's been flawless. I have the 12" screen and love it too...most do.

I'd also suggest the Hellwig rear sway bar...amazing upgrade.

Good Luck!

irishwake63

Reaction score
I went away from Ram for a short spell never had an issue with RAMs and went F150 after getting my 22 1500 I wish I had my F150 not nearly as many issues as I have had with this one

ram813ltd

Reaction score
best vehicle i ever owned 21 limited. rides better than most cars

themust

Reaction score
Congrats. You will live it. Enjoy this forum and all the tips on cool stuff you can do with your truck as well as quick answers on annoyances and more major issues. Pics please.

mresseguie

Reaction score
Congrats. You will live it. Enjoy this forum and all the tips on cool stuff you can do with your truck as well as quick answers on annoyances and more major issues. Pics please.
If the photo above your alias is your current pickup, our trucks are twins. :cool: I got the regular tailgate instead of the multifunction version.

mresseguie

Reaction score
Congratulations! Assuming you got the power running boards (you'll come to LOVE them) and the Advanced Safety Group with the adaptive cruise control. I think you'll love that too! BTW, I'm late to the party but I've got a '19 Laramie (highly optioned) and I freakin LOVE it, even with 122K miles. I get between 19 and 21 on the highway depending on winter/summer fuel and it is the most comfortable road tripper I've ever had. I did have to replace one exhaust manifold under warranty and I think I may have a wheel bearing going out now, but otherwise It's been flawless. I have the 12" screen and love it too...most do.

I'd also suggest the Hellwig rear sway bar...amazing upgrade.

Good Luck!
I'm only three days in, but I already love my new truck. Yup, I got the night edition, power running boards, Advanced safety group w/ adaptive cruise control, 3.92 axle, dual-pane sunroof, 33-gallon tank, Limited level 1 equipment group, CPP 27M, Air suspension, spray in bed liner, and the tri-fold bed cover.

Two small negaitive comments about my Truck so far: First: that tri-fold bed cover is not going to stop anyone armed with a knife, but at least no one can see inside. My wife wants us to use it until we find a lockable tri- or quad-fold hard top where as I want to buy an RSI SmartCap for it. We'll see where that goes. The other nit pick I have is the digital gas guage told me my range was 335 miles on a full tank of gas (33 gallons). That has got to be wrong.

Time to sell my '07 Prerunner with 109k miles on it. It may take a week to sell it. It was a fun truck, but we don't need it anymore.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm only three days in, but I already love my new truck. Yup, I got the night edition, power running boards, Advanced safety group w/ adaptive cruise control, 3.92 axle, dual-pane sunroof, 33-gallon tank, Limited level 1 equipment group, CPP 27M, Air suspension, spray in bed liner, and the tri-fold bed cover.

Two small negaitive comments about my Truck so far: First: that tri-fold bed cover is not going to stop anyone armed with a knife, but at least no one can see inside. My wife wants us to use it until we find a lockable tri- or quad-fold hard top where as I want to buy an RSI SmartCap for it. We'll see where that goes. The other nit pick I have is the digital gas guage told me my range was 335 miles on a full tank of gas (33 gallons). That has got to be wrong.

Time to sell my '07 Prerunner with 109k miles on it. It may take a week to sell it. It was a fun truck, but we don't need it anymore.
As for tonneau cover, I'm not a fan of the folding ones. They always obstruct the view out rear window when open all the way. And even a simple vinyl cover will keep most people out of the bed. If you are keeping stuff in the bed expensive enough to need a locking cover, then I'd opt for the roll up version, or the full cap like you want

As for estimated range it will change as you drive. Give it a few miles to update. The driving the truck has seen since it left factory to the dealer was probably some low MPG, idling or just getting on and off transports.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have a roll up hard cover from Truxedo. I opted for this because I wanted full unobstructed bed access without blocking my back window and wanted some security

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I believe you mentioned towing a camper? If so, just be mindful of your payload. With all those options it's going to be pretty limited, no pun intended!
I hear you on the trifold, however I've run a soft cover trifold since 2007 with no issues whatsoever, but I am of course mindful that it's an easy entry should someone want to. To me the thing is that it stops people from seeing into the bed, removing almost all chance that someone would risk getting caught only to find an empty bed.

And yeah the mileage will update to the proper range pretty quickly.

Enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread