5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 owners...Tell me the pros and cons. I'm trying to decide which pickup to buy. Edit: I bought a '24 RAM 1500 Limited! Yippee!

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Ram Rebel, 5.7 etorque new from the dealer. I'll go with the good stuff first. It's a great looking truck, it's got plenty of power, and in the 22,000 miles I've driven it, the drivetrain has never given me even a hint of trouble. It's a great driving vehicle, both in the city and on the highway and it's wonderful on road trips. On road trips I usually drive 15 to 17 hours a day, and the truck is NEVER uncomfortable, it's really kind of a dream truck for road trips.

I thought I'd hate the start/stop feature, but I have to give Ram a ton of credit, it's soooo smooth that I hardly even notice it anymore. It's extremely fast to restart too, by the time I take my foot off the brake the engine is already running. It's quiet too. I can sit in traffic and hear the other cars around me as their starters turn to restart the car, but the Ram makes no such noises. It's quiet as a mouse thanks to the belt that re-starts it.

Now the bad.

My truck began shutting off for no reason while I was driving. I'd be cruising along around 5 MPH or so and the engine died, the truck slammed itself into park and engaged the emergency brake...leaving me in a very confusing WTF type moment. Thankfully it happened at low speeds in parking lots, but I was entirely lucky on that. The issue has apparently been fixed with a recall, it's not re-occured since it went back to the dealer for the issue.

My truck began leaking water into the cab, so much that the carpet was soaked and when I got it back from the dealer who fixed it, there was mold growing on my carpet.

The hood of my Rebel fills with water any time it rains, and as I drive around it sounds like there's a 50 gallon fish tank behind the dash board sloshing around as I drive and turn. It eventually drains, but it sounds like I'm driving a real piece of crap until it does. It's been to the dealer twice for the issue, and they've not been able to fix it.

Sometimes on cold wet mornings the brakes will moan like a sasquatch in heat as I back out of the driveway. My neighbors can all hear it, and I imagine they don't like it when I leave to go hunt or fish at 4 AM. The dealer said they coudn't replicate it, so there's nothing to fix...even though this a well known problem.

I got mine with the 12 inch screen because I thougth it would be very helpful with the GPS (my eyes aren't what they used to be). They didn't tell me that after a year the GPS functionality would be severely degraded unless I bought a subscription to Uconnect (I think that's who it's through, if not, the point stands that you need to start paying money after a year to keep using that GPS). Now instead of finding things the easy way, I have to manually type in the state, city, and street address in their entirety. The system offers no help in searching for anything...that sucks. If I try to use Waze with the 12 inch screen it only puts the map on HALF of the screen, completely defeating the purpose of the extra real estate.

Another issue with the screen is that to change many things you have to take your eyes off the road and start pushing buttons on it. Want to turn the seat heater down? You'll need to take your eyes off the road, look down, and find the right menu button, then once you get to that page, you'll have to find the seat heater icon and push it a few times until it goes off. There are a number of other functions that operate similarly...you must take your eyes off the road to change some of them.

Recently my 12 inch screen began to randomly turn off and not come back on for a while. It might stay broken for 4 or 5 restarts, then I'll get in to drive somewhere and it comes back on like there was never a problem.

One thing that makes me laugh (with irony) is that when I sold my 11 year old F150 to buy the Ram, I was soooo happy to see all the yellow warning lights on the dashboard leave my life. Then I buy the Ram, and the one I got has all kinds of features on it that provide the truck with autonomy to slam on the brakes (this was bought during COVID, so I had to take whatever I could find). This is a 4 wheel drive truck, designed to go off road, and if the sensors see tall grass, they slam on the brakes. If you are coming down a short, sharp hill...when you get to the bottom it slams on the brakes because it think's you're going to run into the ground. I can turn these things off...and I have...but when I turn them off, Ram puts a YELLOW WARNING LIGHT on my dash!

Gas mileage sucks, and you'll see that from the many posts here on that topic.

This isn't an exhaustive list of the problems I've had, but it's all I can recall off the top of my head. Before the truck was a year and a half old it had spent over a month in the shop.

I loved it when I got it, but now I feel like I'm just waiting for the next thing to break. Mine is just one of millions they make though. My brother in law bought a 2021 2500 version and he hasn't had the first bit of trouble with it. Luck of the draw, you never know what you'll get.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes on cold wet mornings the brakes will moan like a sasquatch in heat as I back out of the driveway. My neighbors can all hear it, and I imagine they don't like it when I leave to go hunt or fish at 4 AM. The dealer said they coudn't replicate it, so there's nothing to fix...even though this a well known problem.
There is a "kit" to buy to fix the brake moan

I got mine with the 12 inch screen because I thougth it would be very helpful with the GPS (my eyes aren't what they used to be). They didn't tell me that after a year the GPS functionality would be severely degraded unless I bought a subscription to Uconnect (I think that's who it's through, if not, the point stands that you need to start paying money after a year to keep using that GPS). Now instead of finding things the easy way, I have to manually type in the state, city, and street address in their entirety. The system offers no help in searching for anything...that sucks. If I try to use Waze with the 12 inch screen it only puts the map on HALF of the screen, completely defeating the purpose of the extra real estate.
Factory Nav sucks compared to Google Maps or Waze even when you pay for the subscription. Usually at least 3-5 years behind in most areas for new roads, and some places even worse. And even at half the screen, it's plenty large enough, IMO, and with the voice navigation, most of the time I never need to even look at the screen

Another issue with the screen is that to change many things you have to take your eyes off the road and start pushing buttons on it. Want to turn the seat heater down? You'll need to take your eyes off the road, look down, and find the right menu button, then once you get to that page, you'll have to find the seat heater icon and push it a few times until it goes off. There are a number of other functions that operate similarly...you must take your eyes off the road to change some of them.
You can change the icons on the bottom of the screen to commonly used ones. My heated seat and steering wheel are now on the main screen and act like any other physical button for them that you'd find on any other vehicle. No menus to go through

One thing that makes me laugh (with irony) is that when I sold my 11 year old F150 to buy the Ram, I was soooo happy to see all the yellow warning lights on the dashboard leave my life. Then I buy the Ram, and the one I got has all kinds of features on it that provide the truck with autonomy to slam on the brakes (this was bought during COVID, so I had to take whatever I could find). This is a 4 wheel drive truck, designed to go off road, and if the sensors see tall grass, they slam on the brakes. If you are coming down a short, sharp hill...when you get to the bottom it slams on the brakes because it think's you're going to run into the ground. I can turn these things off...and I have...but when I turn them off, Ram puts a YELLOW WARNING LIGHT on my dash!
ll get.
You can disable the auto braking through the settings menu and it doesn't have any lights on the dash. I think you are disabling the park sensors with the buttons.

beetlespin

Reaction score
You can drive off the showroom floor with any vehicle and it can **** the bed and cause your life to suck.

It's a crap shoot.

Just gotta hope you don't get a truck built on Friday @ 5:00.

mresseguie

Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone who responded. I spent the past couple weeks researching and test driving two brands of pickups - RAM 1500 Laramie and Toyota Tundra. I've been a Tacoma driver since about 2006, so I tend to want to stay in the fold. Anyway, I tried hard to like the Tundra more than the RAM 1500 Laramie, but the Laramie kept beating the Tundra. The final straw was from a couple days ago during a 2024 Tundra Platinum test drive. That damned wind tunnel sound on the driver's side window drove me crazy. Even my wife could hear it in the passener's seat. That's a deal breaker.

I'll admit now to being a reluctant convert to RAM. I was in the 'Toyota does no wrong' camp, and I was really biased against the RAM 1500....but no more. With November discounts (and Black Friday deals mere hours away), I anticipate putting $1000 down on either a 2023 or 2024 1500 Laramie....which brings me to one more question:

Are there any real differences between a 2023 1500 and a 2024 1500 (assuming both are Laramie 5.7L hemi gas engines)?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Michael

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on nearing a decision!
I genuinely believe you’ll have better luck with the Hemi than the Tundra’s turbo6 - the tundra forums are alight with failures. Initially turbo wastegates problems, these days seems more catastrophic issues with blown engines from spun bearings. That said I think the failure rate is a fraction of 1.0%.

I don’t think that’s horribly different from other brands’ failure rates, I just think k it’s more of a shock to the Toyota fans system, who is accustomed to not having to worry at all.

Anywho, no significant differences between 23 and 24 Rams. Note if you are custom ordering new you only have a couple days to do so. After that you’re left with whatever is on the lots.

mresseguie

Reaction score
Congrats on nearing a decision!
I genuinely believe you’ll have better luck with the Hemi than the Tundra’s turbo6 - the tundra forums are alight with failures. Initially turbo wastegates problems, these days seems more catastrophic issues with blown engines from spun bearings. That said I think the failure rate is a fraction of 1.0%.

I don’t think that’s horribly different from other brands’ failure rates, I just think k it’s more of a shock to the Toyota fans system, who is accustomed to not having to worry at all.

Anywho, no significant differences between 23 and 24 Rams. Note if you are custom ordering new you only have a couple days to do so. After that you’re left with whatever is on the lots.
There's a 2023 1500 Laramie 5.7L HEMI at a nearby dealership that I'm sorely tempted to buy. They quoted me $57,657...but their website says $55,990. The salesman claimed it was a typo....Seems to me I can hold them to the website price, shouldn't I?

[Edit to update] Well, we test drove three 1500 trucks today - the cheap Laramie, a Rebel, and a Longhorn. The Laramie was cheap because it was a very basic, no frills version of the Laramie. It lacked most of the options that we're looking for [Pass!]. The Rebel stroked my <imaginary> 25-year-old's ego, and made me want to fly along the highway. I imagine I'd catch a few speeding tickets if I bought that one. Alas, it was too high for my wife, and lacked a couple amenities that she wants. The Longhorn reminds us of the Toyota Tundra 1794 and the Ford Lariat. They're nicer trims for sure, but not our style. We're now looking hard at the Limited trim as it checks all the boxes that we both want. If only it were a little cheaper. Sigh.

Time is running out on the November discounts, and I have no idea if there will be similar discounts in December. I think we'd better hurry up and make up our minds on which pickup we going to buy.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's a 2023 1500 Laramie 5.7L HEMI at a nearby dealership that I'm sorely tempted to buy. They quoted me $57,657...but their website says $55,990. The salesman claimed it was a typo....Seems to me I can hold them to the website price, shouldn't I?
Contact the Internet sales person, don't talk to one in person

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned a number of Ram/Dodge trucks (last a 2019 Ram Limited) and was happy with them. I've owned more Ford F series and now my first ever GM. GMC Sierra Denali. Really happy with the GMC but I will check out the 2025 Ram hybrid when I get the urge to swap trucks again. I like the GMC Google infotainment system much more than Uconnect and Sync.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Make sure the truck, Vin and price that you had seen line up and take a screenshot. Then they need to honor it. If not, it's the old "bait and switch".......

Marusho

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I'm shopping for a new pickup, and one of my top choices is the 2023/2024 5.7L HEMI RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 5'7" box. I don't need the 2500 (too expensive), and I'm not interested in the diesel engine.

I'm posting here because I want to hear from RAM 1500 owners. I watch YT videos and read professional reviews. Now I want to hear from you. If I buy a new RAM 1500, I want to know how well it's going to hold up in 5, 10, and 15 years. I don't flip my vehicles every 5 years. I want a tow vehicle that's going to last a long time without costing me an arm and a leg in repairs. My current pickup is an '07 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with 108k miles on it. [Yeah, I know. It's still a baby.] Whichever pickup I end up buying will be used to haul stuff, tow a travel trailer, drive on BLM and forestry roads, and be a second vehicle. I'm in my 60s now, and I'm not going to tear up and down back wrenching off road tracks although my son might.

So....tell me what you like about your RAM pickup, and what you don't like about it. I want to know about the issues that I hear about in videos. How much do you have to spend to fix manifold issues, lifters, transmission issues, etc. If I decide to buy a RAM 1500, I want to know what I'm getting myself into because I plan to own it 10 or more years from now, and hope to pass it down to my son and daughter-in-law some day.

I appreciate any and all responses. I'll try to respond as much as possible.
I have a loaded '19 Laramie Longhorn with hemi e-torque. I'm satisfied with e-torque, I LOVE the Longhorn trim and recommend you consider it. But the real reason I'm responding is to alert you to my reservations about the plastic Ramboxes, should you consider this option. I do get use out of them, and I do like the rectangular bed that you get with the option (which still holds sheet goods), but I didn't realize that I was condemning myself and future owners to never installing a cap, a camper, a rack, a one-piece bed cover. I do have a fine Agri-cover diamond-plate cover, one of the very few things you can get for the bed, but this is a big decision. The air suspension has been flawless, and is a great help when loading/unloading and when older folks enter the cab. I have the retracting steps, another fantastic choice. The thing I dislike most is having (or at least choosing) to buy mid-grade gas.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Had a 2015 limited, now a 2023 limited. My 2015 wasn’t perfect, but the max care lifetime warranty took care of that.
I’ll be buying a Max care for my 2023 soon, before it hits 12000 miles and price goes up.
Biggest issue I had with my 2015 was the air ride. Multiple trips to the dealer over the years. I love the way it rides with air ride…but I have my concerns with my 2023…plus a lot more tech that could go wrong. I plan on keeping mine 7-8 years like I did my 2015. The max care 8year, 125K mile warranty will suffice for me.
The biggest gripe I have? Couldn’t get ram boxes in a 6.4 bed. I won’t go without ram boxes again, they’re life savers…but I would’ve liked to have the longer bed.

They’re great trucks, but like most things in life, especially mechanical, luck plays a small role.
Good luck.

Paco

Reaction score
Remember:
You can add most options to your truck once you buy it.

So if you like the Laramie but not happy with missing a few options dont sweat it.
My Rebel did not have Adaptive cruise, Blind spot mirrors, and some smaller options.
But it does now, easy to add after the fact.

barrak

Reaction score

[Edit to update] Well, we test drove three 1500 trucks today - the cheap Laramie, a Rebel, and a Longhorn. The Laramie was cheap because it was a very basic, no frills version of the Laramie. It lacked most of the options that we're looking for [Pass!]. The Rebel stroked my <imaginary> 25-year-old's ego, and made me want to fly along the highway. I imagine I'd catch a few speeding tickets if I bought that one. Alas, it was too high for my wife, and lacked a couple amenities that she wants. The Longhorn reminds us of the Toyota Tundra 1794 and the Ford Lariat. They're nicer trims for sure, but not our style. We're now looking hard at the Limited trim as it checks all the boxes that we both want. If only it were a little cheaper. Sigh.

Time is running out on the November discounts, and I have no idea if there will be similar discounts in December. I think we'd better hurry up and make up our minds on which pickup we going to buy.

I opted for the Longhorn (2023) over the Limited for one reason: The air suspension cannot be deleted from the Limited. My garage is too small for the RAM and everything I read about the air suspension suggests its aversion to northern climates.

I think the Limited or Longhorn will age much more gracefully than the Rebel. Tried hard to like the Tundra, but couldn't stomach its interior after experiencing the RAM's.

Every tech-heavy vehicle has its own gremlins. Mine are a half brain-dead steering wheel (to be fixed soon under warranty), incompatible Start-Stop feature with my Tazer DT (minor issue - received a recall notice that will hopefully fix it) and rough starts when low on fuel (minor irritant). Still love my Longhorn and have no buyers remorse.

Best of luck with your choice.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I just ordered a new Limited. I fully expect to purchase an extended warranty at the end of the dealer warranty, because it will have air suspension issues inside 5 years, it will have broken manifold bolts inside 5 years, and it will have power steering rack needing replacement inside 10 years.
Those are the given issues and every manufacturer has their own list.

themust

Reaction score
I had a '19 Laramie for 92,000 trouble free miles. Tires and oil and some other maintenance basics. The new-to-me '21 Limited on the other hand, has every electronic option available and I fully expect that those will be a pain in the *** at some point (36K miles so far). The trade-off is a ride (see my other posts about poor ride quality with 12.5X35X 22s and a revel level) that's smooth and safe, quiet, firm, roomy, luxurious and damn good looking. As the Goat, Thomas Sowell says, "There are no solutions, only trade-offs."

zezrum

Reaction score
I feel sorry for folks that have had troubles with the air suspension. I had a 2015 Limited with air suspension and ran trouble free for 113k miles. Just traded it in for a 2024 Limited, and am happy to continue to have air suspension. I love the feature, comfortable ride, handy to raise and lower when needed, etc. Of course I purchased the 8/125 warranty (would have bought longer if they offered it).

I haven't found another truck that rides as comfortable as the RAM with air suspension.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel sorry for folks that have had troubles with the air suspension. I had a 2015 Limited with air suspension and ran trouble free for 113k miles. Just traded it in for a 2024 Limited, and am happy to continue to have air suspension. I love the feature, comfortable ride, handy to raise and lower when needed, etc. Of course I purchased the 8/125 warranty (would have bought longer if they offered it).

I haven't found another truck that rides as comfortable as the RAM with air suspension.
What part of the country do you live. Seems those who have the most issue with the air suspension on the 4th gens live in areas where it gets below 0 and they treat the roads in winter.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have a loaded '19 Laramie Longhorn with hemi e-torque.. The thing I dislike most is having (or at least choosing) to buy mid-grade gas.
Why do you choose to use mid grade gas? I have been towing with 87 octane since it rolled off the lot and has not skipped a beat!
It’s rated to use 87 fine.

mresseguie

Reaction score
How big a deal is it if my truck has a 26-gallon tank instead of a 33-gallon tank? I ask because the best deal so far on a 2024 Limited is one with a 26-gallon tank. The other 2 trucks (at 2 different dealerships) have 33-gallon tanks, but one has the 6'4" bed (really don't need it) while the other choice is $500 more expensive than the truck with the 26-gallon tank. If 26 gallons is adequate, I save $500.

I don't know why I'm worried about it as my Tacoma only has an 18-gallon tank! Sheesh.

eazy1500

Reaction score
1500 biggie with 5-7 bed. Hemi, non etorque, 3.92, 33 gal

The extra gals feels so clutch on road trips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/