5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 owners...Tell me the pros and cons. I'm trying to decide which pickup to buy. Edit: I bought a '24 RAM 1500 Limited! Yippee!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love how large the interior is. I’m 6’3 and I fit in the front and back seat comfortably with others that are 6’ tall. The rear seats recline slightly by the bottom bench sliding forward, allowing the rear to cant back. That’s pretty cool. It rides very smooth. I know I have the diesel but I had a buddy trade his power wagon with the 4.10 gears and 5.7 hemi because he was tired of how loud the engine was and how the RPM’s were so high on the interstate. You won’t have 4.10 gears without the power wagon, but the 5.7 is considerably louder. He drove mine around for a couple days and traded his in for a Limited ecodiesel.

I’ve never had any issues. I picked mine up in Sept 2021 and I’ve driven it 33k miles. It sits 5-6 days a week because I have a work car.

The powerwagon with 4.10 and 5.7 hemi is a completely different truck.

My 3.21 is basically idling on the freeway. 1500-ish rpms? You don't really hear any engine noise at that point.

As for loud at WOT, some think it's not loud enough to be honest and at times I feel the same. Really thinking hard about that GT exhaust.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are not a tradesman, nor towing giant trailers on a regular basis, I can't think of why you'd look at another half ton option, with the exception of maybe pricing (Ram used to have that in the bag, but fubar'd that advantage).

It does the homeowner/recreational towing thing as good as the others, but then you are rewarded with a much better day to day livability for commuting/family purposes, thanks to a ride quality and interior comfort that is not even comparable to the others. I'm coming from a prior gen F150, and have looked at the updated 21+ F150s, and with respect to prior poster, while the new F150 interiors are much improved & very nice indeed, they still aren't as comfortable or characterful as Ram's. And as with any F150, the suspension is worst in segment.

I'll say, perhaps cynically, that no modern truck (or vehicle, really) will be bulletproof. They are all much too complex, and have 100s more systems onboard than your Tacoma. Even with the same probability of problems, that many more systems increases the probability for some type of issues. Then, in many cases the issues themselves are more complex to resolve.

The closest half-ton to bulletproof-ness IMHO is the Nissan Titan.
And that's dead now because despite what people say on the internet, their wallets actually vote for features over reliability.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
If you are not a tradesman, nor towing giant trailers on a regular basis, I can't think of why you'd look at another half ton option, with the exception of maybe pricing (Ram used to have that in the bag, but fubar'd that advantage).

It does the homeowner/recreational towing thing as good as the others, but then you are rewarded with a much better day to day livability for commuting/family purposes, thanks to a ride quality and interior comfort that is not even comparable to the others. I'm coming from a prior gen F150, and have looked at the updated 21+ F150s, and with respect to prior poster, while the new F150 interiors are much improved & very nice indeed, they still aren't as comfortable or characterful as Ram's. And as with any F150, the suspension is worst in segment.

I'll say, perhaps cynically, that no modern truck (or vehicle, really) will be bulletproof. They are all much too complex, and have 100s more systems onboard than your Tacoma. Even with the same probability of problems, that many more systems increases the probability for some type of issues. Then, in many cases the issues themselves are more complex to resolve.

The closest half-ton to bulletproof-ness IMHO is the Nissan Titan.
And that's dead now because despite what people say on the internet, their wallets actually vote for features over reliability.

The Titan looks goofy, no other way to say it. Combined with old tech, worst ride in the segment (with Tundra), it doesn't do anything better than the competition other than some vague "reliability" which is trotted out and hard to measure and evaporates the second you run into issues with it. The real question is, how did Titan stay alive this long? It's a pitiful truck.

It's also no surprise that the brands that sell the most (by a massive margin) have the highest reported issues with them on truck forums. You sell more, even if your truck is just as reliable you're going to hear more horror stories just due to sheer scale.

Nissan in general isn't exactly some shining beacon of reliability, not sure why people suggest the titan will be any different.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think the RAM 1500 is a great balance, but it is dated now and the oldest truck in terms of refresh or redesign, though that will change for the 2025 model year as that will be the mid-cycle year, though that may be without a V8 option, which will be a no-go for many.

That being said, I love the looks inside and out of the Rebel and Limited trims, quality has been great with my 2019, totally flawless so far.

One thing I can't stand is the dealership network, I think it sucks, and would be the biggest thing against me getting another RAM in the future. But with the crazy prices for everything now, I may not be getting another new truck for a while. My Rebel was $55,000 in 2019, I paid $39,000 with the discount I got, and 3% APR on that loan. Those days are gone, for now at least.

I was really interested in the new Silverado ZR2, but start at $75,000 and easily spec to over $80,000, I rather find a used TRX or a new Raptor 3.5L.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Titan looks goofy, no other way to say it. Combined with old tech, worst ride in the segment (with Tundra), it doesn't do anything better than the competition other than some vague "reliability" which is trotted out and hard to measure and evaporates the second you run into issues with it. The real question is, how did Titan stay alive this long? It's a pitiful truck.

It's also no surprise that the brands that sell the most (by a massive margin) have the highest reported issues with them on truck forums. You sell more, even if your truck is just as reliable you're going to hear more horror stories just due to sheer scale.

Nissan in general isn't exactly some shining beacon of reliability, not sure why people suggest the titan will be any different.
I mentioned Titan in the context of reliability, no other kudos were given, and I'm not a fanboy of any mainstream brand.

But your thoughts underscore my point that when it comes time to write a check - people care about looks, tech, ride and on-paper capabilities.

All empirical data available, whether it be JD Power (yes, dubious I know), owner reviews, etc. suggests the Titan & it's platform mates (Armada/QX80 and NV van) has hardly any issues aside from the initial year or 2 of each generation (talking half tons - the v8 Cummins was of course a huge "L") - which every model has.

Big part of this was them ripping a page out of Toyota's playbook - the one that said "less features, less innovation, less performance = less problems."

I have no problems with a simple truck so long as it has a simple price tag.
That it wasn't that much more affordable, combined with truck buyer smugness around "fOrEiGn TrUcK" killed it off.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this video?

There is another thread about that very video, but shouldn't hurt posting it on this one as well.

However, there are better videos directly from RAM and even articles just posted by Motor Trend and Car and Driver that go into much better detail.

Wire4money

Reaction score
I mentioned Titan in the context of reliability, no other kudos were given, and I'm not a fanboy of any mainstream brand.

But your thoughts underscore my point that when it comes time to write a check - people care about looks, tech, ride and on-paper capabilities.

All empirical data available, whether it be JD Power (yes, dubious I know), owner reviews, etc. suggests the Titan & it's platform mates (Armada/QX80 and NV van) has hardly any issues aside from the initial year or 2 of each generation (talking half tons - the v8 Cummins was of course a huge "L") - which every model has.

Big part of this was them ripping a page out of Toyota's playbook - the one that said "less features, less innovation, less performance = less problems."

That it wasn't that much more affordable, combined with truck buyer smugness around "fOrEiGn TrUcK" killed it off.
Ever owned a Titan? I don’t think they are any more reliable than the big 3. Cracked exhaust manifolds has been a problem for them since day one, and the placement of cat converters means when they go bad, the pieces get sucked back into the engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ever owned a Titan? I don’t think they are any more reliable than the big 3. Cracked exhaust manifolds has been a problem for them since day one, and the placement of cat converters means when they go bad, the pieces get sucked back into the engine.
Not sure how anything gets "sucked back" into the engine from the exhaust. Exhaust flow would prevent that

silver billet

Reaction score

The Titan isn't a simpler truck. It has all the same tech (minus stuff like HUD which isn't present in the other mainstream trims anyway), it has modern transmissions (7 and 9 speeds), an up to date v8. However its interior is plasticy and cheap, the suspension is rough, it doesn't do anything better than the big 3 but it has an almost identical price tag. It's not rocket science why that truck isn't selling.

I'd say it competes more with the ram classic and that truck is cheaper, looks better, and rides better while being far older. Lifter tick is blown out of proportion on the forums due to how many 5.7 hemis are sold and on the roads (millions of them), and mainfolds are a problem with some of the other v8s as well.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have considered a Titan a few times, but like every other Nissan product it’s a polished decade + vehicle.
I love Nissans and own/owned many, but they are not great with coming out with anything exciting and new. Toyota is the same way. They are riding on their 90’s early 2000’s rise to fame a little too long and letting the big 3 catch up.

RAL

Reaction score
I think the takeaway here is that the Ram 1500 is the nicest truck in its class. Not that the others, particularly the Silverado and F150, aren’t nice, but I think the Ram has them beat overall. My Ram 1500 is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I have been fortunate to have some really nice vehicles.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
90’s Nissan was on fire!
Since then, just a plain old dumpster fire.
I wouldn’t say dumpster fire, but they are not innovating by any means
Case in point, my 2019 q50 literally had nothing changed from my 2014 q50. Guess what, pretty sure they are still unchanged in 2023.
The frontier up until like last year hasn’t been touched since 2005. Lol

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
If you'd re worried about the body rusting out, then just take better care of your truck and wash it properly. Automatic car washes aren't the answer. You need to use a hose and get up underneath the truck and into the areas where there is rust potential. I have a 2000 Dakotas which that generation has bad issues if you look at most still driving around. Only place mine is rusted is right behind drivers side headlight and it's not even that bad.
This is not my 1st vehicle, and I have not had rust issues on any of them, including my Tacoma that was know for the frames rusting away. I take proper care of my vehicles, but how am I supposed to take a hose and hand wash it in the winter when I live in a area that is regularly sun freezing?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is not my 1st vehicle, and I have not had rust issues on any of them, including my Tacoma that was know for the frames rusting away. I take proper care of my vehicles, but how am I supposed to take a hose and hand wash it in the winter when I live in a area that is regularly sun freezing?
Do what you can in winter. A lot of DIY carwashes here in Nebraska have doors you can close during the winter to be able to clean your car inside. Any day that is above freezing, take it through a car wash. Once it warms up enough, do a thorough undercarriage cleaning with fresh water. I'm not saying you have to wash it every day or even every week.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Then there is me that never washes their vehicles in the winter. Lol

Wire4money

Reaction score
Not sure how anything gets "sucked back" into the engine from the exhaust. Exhaust flow would prevent that
It is a thing. The exhaust pulses, and the cat is attached to the exhaust manifold. This is a very well known failure, and Nissan did nothing to address it.

Raydar

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 (see sig) that has ~43000 miles on it. It has been quite trouble free. No cracked manifolds or broken bolts.
I've received two recall notices. One for the wipers and one for the all-weather floor mats. I fixed the wipers myself, and the floor mats are a non-issue for me.
I change the oil according to the oil life monitor. I have since heard that that may be a bad idea, due to the lifter issue. (When was that "fixed"? News to me. But then I don't check in here, as often as I could.) I suppose I'm going to start changing it at 50% or so. But I use Royal Purple Full Synthetic, in the recommended weight.
The truck itself? It's one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned/driven. It quite smooth and refined. It was so quiet that it was boring. I added a Flowmaster FlowFX muffler. Now it reminds me of my childhood neighbor's 383 GTX. :D The "ECO" (4 cylinder) mode is not even objectionable.
The heaviest thing I've ever towed was a 2800 lb car on a U-Haul trailer. I figure the whole package weighed around 5300 lbs. It was like it wasn't even back there.
The 8 speed automatic is a thing of beauty. It's quite intuitive, and will even gear down and help with engine braking, if you are trying to stop in a hurry. Whoever wrote the transmission controller code is a genius.
I have never had any window leaks or other of the issues reported here. I did have to have the windshield replaced, due to a crack that ran from a rock chip. I opted for a "generic" windshield. The MOPAR windshield was stupidly expensive. Even so, I still paid about $600, installed. I also don't have any of the electronic toys that require calibration when the windshield is replaced.
If I had any complaints, it would be about the random (but infrequent) "glitchiness" of the U-Connect radio. But it's not really an issue.
My only regret is that I didn't opt for LED headlights and remote start. (Both part of the Level 2 package. I only got Level 1.) But that's on me.
Full disclosure... I did have to replace a wiring harness, that connected between the main harness and the front differential actuator. But that was because it was eaten by a varmint, while parked in my front yard. Cost me about $24, and about two hours of my time, all told. I didn't even claim warranty, since it technically wasn't a warranty issue, and because I didn't want to be without my truck for days.
As I posted elsewhere on this forum, I'm really dismayed that the Hemi is no longer available without e-torque. But I'm not in the market anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.
If the 5.7 dies, out of warranty, I'll build and swap in a non DOD 6.4. And drive it until the wheels fall off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread