5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 owners...Tell me the pros and cons. I'm trying to decide which pickup to buy. Edit: I bought a '24 RAM 1500 Limited! Yippee!

mresseguie

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I'm shopping for a new pickup, and one of my top choices is the 2023/2024 5.7L HEMI RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 5'7" box. I don't need the 2500 (too expensive), and I'm not interested in the diesel engine.

I'm posting here because I want to hear from RAM 1500 owners. I watch YT videos and read professional reviews. Now I want to hear from you. If I buy a new RAM 1500, I want to know how well it's going to hold up in 5, 10, and 15 years. I don't flip my vehicles every 5 years. I want a tow vehicle that's going to last a long time without costing me an arm and a leg in repairs. My current pickup is an '07 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with 108k miles on it. [Yeah, I know. It's still a baby.] Whichever pickup I end up buying will be used to haul stuff, tow a travel trailer, drive on BLM and forestry roads, and be a second vehicle. I'm in my 60s now, and I'm not going to tear up and down back wrenching off road tracks although my son might.

So....tell me what you like about your RAM pickup, and what you don't like about it. I want to know about the issues that I hear about in videos. How much do you have to spend to fix manifold issues, lifters, transmission issues, etc. If I decide to buy a RAM 1500, I want to know what I'm getting myself into because I plan to own it 10 or more years from now, and hope to pass it down to my son and daughter-in-law some day.

I appreciate any and all responses. I'll try to respond as much as possible.

Last edited:

Davidbt

Reaction score
I can tell you that I bought a 2021 Big Horn with only 11,300 miles on it September '22' I specifically searched for a non etorq and wanted 3.92 gears for towing our 26' travel trailer. I haven't had any of the problems that others have had. We just did a 3,500 mile round trip to Mississippi and back up through eastern New Mexico. The truck performed admirably. Got 11.1 mpg while doing so.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
towing is limited compared to the 2500
payload is limited compared to the 2500
ride will be better than your 07 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
with active noise cancellation it will be quieter than your 07 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I traded in a 13’ Tacoma crew cab sport for my 19’ Ram Bighorn.

In the 200k I put on the Tacoma I spent less then $1k fixing things, not counting tires, oil, brakes. I traded it in because while the thing had been great I was worried about something coming since it had the miles it did with nothing done.

What I love about the Ram is the extra room and smooth ride of a full size, the extra power, better mileage. The Tacoma’s have such a dated interior, and my stripped down Ram Bighorn feels better and has more features then my TRD Tacoma.

I only have 50k on the Ram, and the Ac compressor has already been replaced, and I made a appointment the other day for my e-torque system marketing bad noices, that research leads to the hybrid charging system likely needing to be replaced, but I have to wait 3 weeks for a appointment.
I’m a bit afraid of the body of the Ram rusting out, like so many of them I see on the road(yes I know tacomas have frame rusting issues, but Toyota did warranty those).

In 14 months and 25k miles my Ram has already taken more repair $’s then my tacoma in 8 yrs and 200k miles, so I’m not to stoked on that.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Funny enough I just did a 3 yr lease end synopsis on my channel.
It’s long, but well worth the watch from someone who has owned a little bit of everything and looked at everything out there to compare.

I really have no skin in the game and hold nothing back on my opinion and comments

End of 3yr lease feelings on my 2021 Ram Laramie

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I love how large the interior is. I’m 6’3 and I fit in the front and back seat comfortably with others that are 6’ tall. The rear seats recline slightly by the bottom bench sliding forward, allowing the rear to cant back. That’s pretty cool. It rides very smooth. I know I have the diesel but I had a buddy trade his power wagon with the 4.10 gears and 5.7 hemi because he was tired of how loud the engine was and how the RPM’s were so high on the interstate. You won’t have 4.10 gears without the power wagon, but the 5.7 is considerably louder. He drove mine around for a couple days and traded his in for a Limited ecodiesel.

I’ve never had any issues. I picked mine up in Sept 2021 and I’ve driven it 33k miles. It sits 5-6 days a week because I have a work car.

mresseguie

Reaction score
Try the search function - lots of posts already about this subject.
Thank you for your suggestion. Can you recommend some appropriate search queries? I just tried your suggestion, but I haven't come up with useful results. I'm sure it's a matter of using the right word combination. I'll keep trying different wording.

23RAM

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion. Can you recommend some appropriate search queries? I just tried your suggestion, but I haven't come up with useful results. I'm sure it's a matter of using the right word combination. I'll keep trying different wording.
Key in all of your requirement key words and start reading. There's dozens of posts on various topics relevant to buying decisions.
Your OP has very little specific information about what you want in a truck, so I have no advice. All vehicles have pros and cons...start researching.

I can tell you why I bought my RAM - primarily looks and comfort, inside and out. It's the best riding full size pickup truck with the best interior and looks great. All other trucks are similar but each have their weak and strong points...you need to figure out what your priorities are, and go from there. Asking people their opinions about RAMs in a RAM forum is like asking what's your favourite ice cream in an ice cream store - they're all different and they're all great.

kzielu

Reaction score
I have direct comparison of my '22 1500 that currently has 17k miles (lots of it towing a trailer with car on it) vs. '17 F150 3.5 Ecoboost and newly acquired '23 F150 Powerboost (Hybrid).

RAM rides better than both Ford trucks since they still have leaf springs in the rear.
Build quality - so far so good but leaking rear window is probably coming on the RAM, fitment of some things in the interior is cheap (but it's a Big Horn, both F150s are Lariats)
Interior / Infotainment - RAM's quite a but better than previous gen F150 (including higher RAM trims that I test drove, big screen included). New F150 is significantly better than RAM, they really stepped their system up.
Engines - 5.7 Etorque is smooth but is no match for Ecoboost and (especially) Powerboost for towing and acceleration. Not even close.

Bottom line - so far it has been a good truck but I've had it for year. How reliable it is going to be is too early too tell.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I traded in a 13’ Tacoma crew cab sport for my 19’ Ram Bighorn.

In the 200k I put on the Tacoma I spent less then $1k fixing things, not counting tires, oil, brakes. I traded it in because while the thing had been great I was worried about something coming since it had the miles it did with nothing done.

What I love about the Ram is the extra room and smooth ride of a full size, the extra power, better mileage. The Tacoma’s have such a dated interior, and my stripped down Ram Bighorn feels better and has more features then my TRD Tacoma.

I only have 50k on the Ram, and the Ac compressor has already been replaced, and I made a appointment the other day for my e-torque system marketing bad noices, that research leads to the hybrid charging system likely needing to be replaced, but I have to wait 3 weeks for a appointment.
I’m a bit afraid of the body of the Ram rusting out, like so many of them I see on the road(yes I know tacomas have frame rusting issues, but Toyota did warranty those).

In 14 months and 25k miles my Ram has already taken more repair $’s then my tacoma in 8 yrs and 200k miles, so I’m not to stoked on that.
If you'd re worried about the body rusting out, then just take better care of your truck and wash it properly. Automatic car washes aren't the answer. You need to use a hose and get up underneath the truck and into the areas where there is rust potential. I have a 2000 Dakotas which that generation has bad issues if you look at most still driving around. Only place mine is rusted is right behind drivers side headlight and it's not even that bad.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I'm shopping for a new pickup, and one of my top choices is the 2023/2024 5.7L HEMI RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 5'7" box. I don't need the 2500 (too expensive), and I'm not interested in the diesel engine.

I'm posting here because I want to hear from RAM 1500 owners. I watch YT videos and read professional reviews. Now I want to hear from you. If I buy a new RAM 1500, I want to know how well it's going to hold up in 5, 10, and 15 years. I don't flip my vehicles every 5 years. I want a tow vehicle that's going to last a long time without costing me an arm and a leg in repairs. My current pickup is an '07 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with 108k miles on it. [Yeah, I know. It's still a baby.] Whichever pickup I end up buying will be used to haul stuff, tow a travel trailer, drive on BLM and forestry roads, and be a second vehicle. I'm in my 60s now, and I'm not going to tear up and down back wrenching off road tracks although my son might.

So....tell me what you like about your RAM pickup, and what you don't like about it. I want to know about the issues that I hear about in videos. How much do you have to spend to fix manifold issues, lifters, transmission issues, etc. If I decide to buy a RAM 1500, I want to know what I'm getting myself into because I plan to own it 10 or more years from now, and hope to pass it down to my son and daughter-in-law some day.

I appreciate any and all responses. I'll try to respond as much as possible.
Towing will depend on the size of your travel trailer. But if it's the same as what you currently use your Toyota for it won't be an issue.

Everything else will be anecdotal and subjective. I haven't really had any issues with my 2020 Built to Serve. It's non an e-torque engine though, so can't comment on that. I have 37k miles, no manifold issues(8yr/80k warranty). The lifter issues have pretty much been resolved for the new Rams. The biggest complaints seem to be the rear window leaks, but I havnt had any issues with that. But my truck does park in the garage every night

Wire4money

Reaction score
I love how large the interior is. I’m 6’3 and I fit in the front and back seat comfortably with others that are 6’ tall. The rear seats recline slightly by the bottom bench sliding forward, allowing the rear to cant back. That’s pretty cool. It rides very smooth. I know I have the diesel but I had a buddy trade his power wagon with the 4.10 gears and 5.7 hemi because he was tired of how loud the engine was and how the RPM’s were so high on the interstate. You won’t have 4.10 gears without the power wagon, but the 5.7 is considerably louder. He drove mine around for a couple days and traded his in for a Limited ecodiesel.

I’ve never had any issues. I picked mine up in Sept 2021 and I’ve driven it 33k miles. It sits 5-6 days a week because I have a work car.
I don’t know if your friend had mud tires or aftermarket exhaust, but my 5.7 with 3.92 is by far the quietest vehicle I’ve owned. It puts my wife’s Audi to shame.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I don’t know if your friend had mud tires or aftermarket exhaust, but my 5.7 with 3.92 is by far the quietest vehicle I’ve owned. It puts my wife’s Audi to shame.
Do you ever use the gas pedal? Lol.
Same orientation in my Ram sings! Honestly imho I think it’s a good bit louder than my Vette with Corsa axle backs.

Jmac509

Reaction score
Do you ever use the gas pedal? Lol.
Same orientation in my Ram sings! Honestly imho I think it’s a good bit louder than my Vette with Corsa axle backs.
I see in your signature you have the sport package. I believe they come with less resonators than the standard models come with. I do agree that the "standard Ram" (with all of the mufflers) is quieter than the 2023 Audi A5 I've ridden in and night and day different against any of the Acura's. I had a similar experience with the Lexus GX460.

I did have a Jeep Commander with the 5.7 and the MBRP Exhaust. It was so loud going down the highway it reminded me of riding in an airplane.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I think his position is when it winds up to 4k-ish to accelerate harder it gets louder. When he drove my truck around he was surprised of the instant torque off idle and the difference between the ED and the Hemi.

Hemi isn’t obnoxious by any means. But it is louder than the ED. That’s all I was saying.

RAL

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab with the 5.7 and e torque. We have the level 2 package so it is really well equipped. 3.92 rear end.

We leased it originally because I had questions about reliability. I wanted a Tundra 1794, but my wife and kids wanted the Ram. So I was a skeptic. While three years is relatively short, my experience has been that if a vehicle is problem free early on, it tends to stay problem free.

We have 32k miles on it now and I just bought it out from CC. The truck has been very reliable. I say this as an owner of another vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner that I consider to be the benchmark for build quality. Ram has been excellent with two minor things, both comparable to issues I have had on my 4runner. One issue is that early on the satellite radio would randomly freeze and prevent any audio output. It was very infrequent and I didn’t want to waste time having the dealer tell me they couldn’t replicate it. I called Ram cares, they opened a case and a few weeks later someone called me and had me run through an update to the firmware. Problem solved.

Secondly, a few months ago I got an error on the start stop when the truck was cold. The cluster would indicate “shift to park and then restart.” I ignored it, took my foot off the brake, and the truck restarted and ran normally. This happened again a few days later. I have not had it recur, but will have it checked for codes next time it is in. In the interim, I have made a practice of manually disabling auto start until the transmission reaches 100 degrees. (I have no data to support that “solution” other than the fact that I am a long time car nut and former racer and I don’t like starting and stopping the driveline when cold to save a few tenths of an ounce of fuel. Meanwhile though the error has not recurred.)

These minor issues aside, the truck has been flawless. It is quiet, fast, comfortable, tows like there is nothing behind it, and the fit and finish inside and out is wonderful/. Super comfortable too - have to make sure I am not too tired when driving or you can easily nod off in that seat. The kids love it, they have a ton of leg room and their rear seats recline. Plus they have usb and outlets back there to occupy them.

One downside is our local dealers love to upsell needless and over priced services. That is a negative but no worse than my Toyota.

Also, I did buy the extended warranty from Mopar (from ziegler in Michigan - search the forum). For $1900 or so I extended the bumper to bumper coverage to 8/85, $200 deductible.

Final note is that I didn’t get the warranty because I expect the truck to self destruct/. My wife recently needed a new car and she wanted a Subaru/. We got the warranty on that one as well because while the drivelines and major components on the new cars are generally excellent quality, if any of the “toys” go they are prohibitive expensive.

Hope this helps.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I see in your signature you have the sport package. I believe they come with less resonators than the standard models come with. I do agree that the "standard Ram" (with all of the mufflers) is quieter than the 2023 Audi A5 I've ridden in and night and day different against any of the Acura's. I had a similar experience with the Lexus GX460.

I did have a Jeep Commander with the 5.7 and the MBRP Exhaust. It was so loud going down the highway it reminded me of riding in an airplane.
i do not recall seeing this as a thing in the sport package. I thought it was just a sticker and hood upgrade to be honest. Now you have me questioning life.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think his position is when it winds up to 4k-ish to accelerate harder it gets louder. When he drove my truck around he was surprised of the instant torque off idle and the difference between the ED and the Hemi.

Hemi isn’t obnoxious by any means. But it is louder than the ED. That’s all I was saying.
Obviously a normally asperated V8 is going ha e louder exhaust than a turbo V6 diesel.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

i do not recall seeing this as a thing in the sport package. I thought it was just a sticker and hood upgrade to be honest. Now you have me questioning life.
It's not a thing. Sometimes during the 2020 model year they dropped front resonator that used to be in front of the muffler, but that was across the board But other than that, the exhaust is the same unless you ha e the GT model

Users who are viewing this thread