5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 DiamondBack Cover

jkgray22

Reaction score
I just installed my DiamondBack bed cover. Very secure, durable and practical. I can latch things to the top easily. It cost me way less than a fiberglass cover or even a tonnue cover.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 334
  • t2 - Copy.jpg
    t2 - Copy.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 336

cra1g

Reaction score
Thank I just ordered a HD in black

I just installed my HD last week. I'm very impressed with the quality. A few installation tips, in case they save you some trouble:

--The bulkhead gasket should be straight, not follow the curve of the bed. This seems obvious...afterwards. :)
--The instructions say to have someone push down on the corners as you adjust the lock brackets. Use a LOT of force. I did it the first time with my 10-year-old sitting on each corner as I adjusted. I didn't feel like that was enough, so I did it again with a pair of 100-lb dumbells on each corner, and it seems much better now.
--Check the clamps early and often. I *thought* they were tight, but one of them fell off within 100 miles of installing.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I just installed my HD last week. I'm very impressed with the quality. A few installation tips, in case they save you some trouble:

--The bulkhead gasket should be straight, not follow the curve of the bed. This seems obvious...afterwards. :)
--The instructions say to have someone push down on the corners as you adjust the lock brackets. Use a LOT of force. I did it the first time with my 10-year-old sitting on each corner as I adjusted. I didn't feel like that was enough, so I did it again with a pair of 100-lb dumbells on each corner, and it seems much better now.
--Check the clamps early and often. I *thought* they were tight, but one of them fell off within 100 miles of installing.
All excellent tips, especially that last one - the clamps loosen up pretty quickly. I may use some blue loctite on them to make them a bit less prone to loosen, while still permitting removal later if I want to take the cover off. That piece cries out for a bit of a redesign. If loctite doesn't work, I don't know what to do to keep them from loosening up on their own. Maybe a jamb nut or two.

wayn0r

Reaction score
Hey, I installed my HD yesterday on my 2020 Rebel. Having a hard time opening the tailgate without opening the tailgate panel of the cover. Has anybody had similar issues? Wondering if I need to move the cover further to the front? Can somebody post a picture of how close to the cab your cover is?

Thank you!

Briencrotty

Reaction score
That appears to be by design. I have to open my back clamshell, too, to get the tailgate down. To me, it's worth it for the water resistance.

B

wayn0r

Reaction score
That appears to be by design. I have to open my back clamshell, too, to get the tailgate down. To me, it's worth it for the water resistance.

B
Won't be able to lift the tailgate panel because I'm planning to mount a roof top tent on the diamondback. Guess I have to fiddle around with it for a bit to make it work.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
Won't be able to lift the tailgate panel because I'm planning to mount a roof top tent on the diamondback. Guess I have to fiddle around with it for a bit to make it work.
You may be able to get it positioned well enough to let you open it. I can, with some effort, open mine without opening the clamshell, but I haven't tried closing it that way for fear of screwing up the rubber seal.

B

Ole Tater

Reaction score
I just installed my DiamondBack bed cover. Very secure, durable and practical. I can latch things to the top easily. It cost me way less than a fiberglass cover or even a tonnue cover.
Where did you find it for cheap? I was looking at one and it was around 2K.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
looks great!!!
where did you get that cover for a good deal?

Xhumeka

Reaction score
I have one of the original Diamondback's, installed more than 12 years ago on my 2007 Power Wagon and it's been FANTASTIC, never once had an issue hauling the many ATVs and bikes over the last decade plus. I can't say enough good things about them, you will love yours too I'm sure.

As for opening the tailgate when you have the bed loaded, simply use a couple spacers along both rear ends of the bed... I ended up gluing a couple wood strips (approx 2"x12"x0.25") along both sides and with a couple ATVs on top it still allows me to open and close the tailgate with ease, yet remains water-tight. Enjoy!

aWkrJiI.jpg

0XabpWT.jpg

Stueyg

Reaction score
All the tips in this thread are great!! Has anyone had any issues with closing/locking the lid close to the cab? I am having issues with the longer rail/passenger side locking under the bed rail. Any help would be appreciated.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All the tips in this thread are great!! Has anyone had any issues with closing/locking the lid close to the cab? I am having issues with the longer rail/passenger side locking under the bed rail. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry, no I haven't had any issues with mine. You might try taking it off and re-installing it. Usually installation/misalignment is the cause.

Stueyg

Reaction score
Sorry, no I haven't had any issues with mine. You might try taking it off and re-installing it. Usually installation/misalignment is the cause.
Yea I have done that twice now and still same issue. Thanks for the feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread