5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 coolant smell

jdolotina

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to this thread. Currently have my 2020 Ram 5.7 in the dealer with 36,000 miles for what appears to be a water pump leak. Changed the oil on my truck and noticed orange stains just below the crankshaft pulley. Looked between the accessories and timing cover and noticed it was coming from the water pump. I have always had this strange issue where at idle the truck will heat to 226 degrees and the fan will kick on but never cool the truck down below 222. I took it in almost a year ago for the same issue (running hot while idle) and was told it was a software update and the issue appeared to be fixed. Truck heats up to 226, fan kicks on, fan cools truck to 212 and cycle off. I am sort of bothered by the fact it's cropping itself back up and now the pump is leaking. Maybe the two are related... Either way, just wanted to relay to everyone that don't just assume the smell is coming from the expansion tank. Look under the engine and see if you can find coolant leaking from the pump. Mine is such a slow leak that there's no visible stain on the driveway. It's leaking onto a crossmember on the truck and I am sure is evaporating while I am underway. Hope this helps!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to add to this thread. Currently have my 2020 Ram 5.7 in the dealer with 36,000 miles for what appears to be a water pump leak. Changed the oil on my truck and noticed orange stains just below the crankshaft pulley. Looked between the accessories and timing cover and noticed it was coming from the water pump. I have always had this strange issue where at idle the truck will heat to 226 degrees and the fan will kick on but never cool the truck down below 222. I took it in almost a year ago for the same issue (running hot while idle) and was told it was a software update and the issue appeared to be fixed. Truck heats up to 226, fan kicks on, fan cools truck to 212 and cycle off. I am sort of bothered by the fact it's cropping itself back up and now the pump is leaking. Maybe the two are related... Either way, just wanted to relay to everyone that don't just assume the smell is coming from the expansion tank. Look under the engine and see if you can find coolant leaking from the pump. Mine is such a slow leak that there's no visible stain on the driveway. It's leaking onto a crossmember on the truck and I am sure is evaporating while I am underway. Hope this helps!
So sounds like the software update corrected the fan and it's operating normal now. Newer engines all run hotter. It's why most manufacturers went away from actual temp markings on the coolant temp guage and just have hot/cold. If you didn't have the digital temp readout, you would have never known hot how it actually got before fan kicked on. The actual "guage" in the dash doesn't move much between normal highway speeds where it's between 204-210 and when the fan kicks in at idle at 226.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It also hopefully directs the fluid to someplace where it won't hurt much, as opposed to squirting out the front into the fan and belts and everything they sling stuff onto.
Haha...that's wishful thinking. Just like every other engine out there...there is no redirection of the fluid that comes out of the weep hole. It just drains onto wherever gravity and/or air flow may take it.

jdolotina

Reaction score
So sounds like the software update corrected the fan and it's operating normal now. Newer engines all run hotter. It's why most manufacturers went away from actual temp markings on the coolant temp guage and just have hot/cold. If you didn't have the digital temp readout, you would have never known hot how it actually got before fan kicked on. The actual "guage" in the dash doesn't move much between normal highway speeds where it's between 204-210 and when the fan kicks in at idle at 226.
You do make a good point about the needle gauge versus the digital. You’re correct that it does not move much at all while in the 197-222ish range. The digital gauge definitely gives you more fidelity about what’s really going on. Obviously the leaking water pump is a problem. I should clarify that once they completed the software fix last year, the truck still got warmer at idle (224-226), fan would kick in and reduce temps down to 212-215 and the fan would cycle off. Fast forward to now and the truck warms up to the same temps, but when the fan kicks on the temp drops only a few degrees and the fan stays on. It never turns off and in some cases the truck continues to rise in temp a degree or two. You can hit the gas a bit and the fan revs up with the throttle input. I totally get that these trucks run a bit hotter at idle due to emissions or fuel economy. However, the temp shouldn’t linger at its peak temp with the fan running at 80% ish and not cycle off. That’s really the concern I have.

What’s different this round is the water pump is leaking too. Last time I took it in a year ago, the temp got up to 240 degrees at idle with fan running at what appeared to be 90% or higher and not cooling the truck. This time, it just hovers at 222-226 with the fan on. I’m hoping that coolant loss from the leaking pump is the reason why it won’t get any lower than 222. Less cooling capacity because some fluid has leaked out.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I have the smell, been bugging me for two years. Chalked it up to "working as designed", learned that fun phrase from the dealership. I think it's the loose fitting cap on the overflow tank allowing vapor to sneak by
This... is exactly what I think too, mine started smelling less than a year after I bought it. And here 3 years plus later, still smells and still no discernible amount of fluid gone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the smell, been bugging me for two years. Chalked it up to "working as designed", learned that fun phrase from the dealership. I think it's the loose fitting cap on the overflow tank allowing vapor to sneak by
When mine smells, the smell is stronger on drivers side, opposite of the overflow. So rules that out.

ZZZ

Reaction score
I recently noticed a "hot" smell emitting from the engine compartment after use and parking the truck in the garage. I bought the vehicle (2019 Limited, 20,000 miles) this past spring and never noticed any odor throughout the summer. It seems to have started when I started using the heater. Any ideas?

Arrowv

Reaction score
I have the same coolant small in my 2019 1500 Limited. This happens with the heater is running. The biggest thing I notice is when I turn ON recirculation, the smell goes away. I saw a simple fix was to replace the radiator cap. I picked on up today and will try it once the truck cools down.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
My coolant smell in the cab started today. Enough I had to roll the windows down while driving in -20C weather. Defrost wasn’t working very well either. There was a thick fog on the inside of the windshield which makes me think I have a three way valve or heater core leak in the dash. Still under warranty so it’ll go in in about a week if the smell persists. Very annoying as I’m in the height of hockey and ringette seasons for my kids and my work is not serviced by transit.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
My coolant smell in the cab started today. Enough I had to roll the windows down while driving in -20C weather. Defrost wasn’t working very well either. There was a thick fog on the inside of the windshield which makes me think I have a three way valve or heater core leak in the dash. Still under warranty so it’ll go in in about a week if the smell persists. Very annoying as I’m in the height of hockey and ringette seasons for my kids and my work is not serviced by transit.
Had the truck into the dealer yesterday and confirmed the heater core is leaking. Worst part is no parts available for 8-10 days and have to drive with the smell, slowly poisoning myself with Ethylene Glycol vapour until they come in. Glad it's under warranty as it's a $1300 touch for the dash re&re.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the truck into the dealer yesterday and confirmed the heater core is leaking. Worst part is no parts available for 8-10 days and have to drive with the smell, slowly poisoning myself with Ethylene Glycol vapour until they come in. Glad it's under warranty as it's a $1300 touch for the dash re&re.
Make sure they thoroughly wash all the ductwork and clean the inside of all the windows. If not, the fog and smell will be with you forever.

Users who are viewing this thread