5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 coolant smell

jv56

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I had a 4th gen ram for years with basically no issues. I got a 2021 1500 limited about a month ago and it constantly smelled of coolant from the front end. No smell inside so I’m sure it’s not the heater core leaking. I figured it’s a pinhole in the radiator because my coolant stayed level. No leaks. Nothing. Then I figured a pinhole would still probably leak when it’s cold. I went to the dealer purchased a new rad cap. No smell for 2 days. 3 rd day smells came back. I looked for the a new cap but nothing was comparable. I didn’t believe this.

Fix.
I went to auto zone. They looked up the truck and said no sorry we have no cap for the truck. I asked for a universal duralast with the red release on it. They only one they had was 18lb. I took it. Next morning I put it on it while the engine was cold. The engine temps are cooler now. Guess what!! The truck doesn’t smell anymore. I guess those cheap rad caps the dealer has are mostly failing. I went ahead and got a 16lb one but haven’t switched it yet. I’m back in love with the truck. No more smell when opening my window. No more smell when walking by. No more smell when sniffing my grill lol.

duralast 7718 is the 18lb. Cap
Duralast 7816 is the 16lb cap.
I’m still on the 18lb cap. One week in and still haven’t smelled a thing.
Hope this helps people out.

oh. I also used 2 zip ties marine grade that are curved to squeeze better. I zip tied the tube under the rap cap that goes to overflow. I did both at the same time. I’m not touching anything. Experiment over.

Attachments

• 8F5629F8-75D1-4D97-9BF4-3D4AC938CCCF.jpeg
    8F5629F8-75D1-4D97-9BF4-3D4AC938CCCF.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 122
  • C2B1DA4D-2CC7-4987-BF0A-6667EE97C762.jpeg
    C2B1DA4D-2CC7-4987-BF0A-6667EE97C762.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 113
  • 92822352-3F42-41B8-A1B4-224A0FBA05FE.jpeg
    92822352-3F42-41B8-A1B4-224A0FBA05FE.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 114

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you saying that in addition to replacing the cap, you blocked the flow between the radiator and the overflow bottle?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the coolant smell as well, mostly in warmer temps. I will give this a try. Can you post a picture of the zip tie placement. Thx in advance.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had the same myself. Looked like cap only per crust/stains only below cap. Never is low tho

jv56

Reaction score
So it was cold today I turned on my heat ram the truck for 3 hours and the smell was back. Super upset. Went home and took my grill off figured I might have a leak at the overflow tank. No leak.

the smell seems to be coming from the seems on the radiator cap side. That’s the only part that smells. super upset.
I took pressure off the rad cap and took it off to switch to my 16lb and coolant leaked out. Now that is a coolant stink. I think what we’re smelling is just the oat heated up.

American trucks has a aluminum radiator that I will try soon when im done 1 or 2 more experiments.

Saturday I’m going to remove the radiator fan and spray the plastic seams of the radiator with a high temp spray paint. Going to give it 3 cotes.

Might try some bars leaks since I’ll probably replace the radiator anyway to see what happens. I’m starting to think it’s just the plastic on the radiator might have a hairline or a porous spot when it heat ups. I’ll let you know Saturday how the paint job goes. Fingers crossed.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
So it was cold today I turned on my heat ram the truck for 3 hours and the smell was back. Super upset. Went home and took my grill off figured I might have a leak at the overflow tank. No leak.

the smell seems to be coming from the seems on the radiator cap side. That’s the only part that smells. super upset.
I took pressure off the rad cap and took it off to switch to my 16lb and coolant leaked out. Now that is a coolant stink. I think what we’re smelling is just the oat heated up.

American trucks has a aluminum radiator that I will try soon when im done 1 or 2 more experiments.

Saturday I’m going to remove the radiator fan and spray the plastic seams of the radiator with a high temp spray paint. Going to give it 3 cotes.

Might try some bars leaks since I’ll probably replace the radiator anyway to see what happens. I’m starting to think it’s just the plastic on the radiator might have a hairline or a porous spot when it heat ups. I’ll let you know Saturday how the paint job goes. Fingers crossed.
Be very careful with that Bars Leak. Follow the directions because the heater core can get blocked with that stuff and create more problems for you

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Arsenal doesn't work on plastic, and should never be used as a long term "fix". It's should never be more than a band aid to get you home. It will clog the radiator, and even if you cha get radiators that crap is still in your block causing issues with coolant ports.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the smell, been bugging me for two years. Chalked it up to "working as designed", learned that fun phrase from the dealership. I think it's the loose fitting cap on the overflow tank allowing vapor to sneak by

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone take a look at the water-pump? It is supposed to "seep and evaporate the coolant by design" I have never heard of such a thing before.

vater pump seal.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone take a look at the water-pump? It is supposed to "seep and evaporate the coolant by design" I have never heard of such a thing before.

View attachment 124452
All water pumps are designed with a weep hole to drain off coolant that gets past the shaft seal. This is by design. But it doesn't mean it's normal for that to happen. It means the water pump needs to be replaced because the seal has failed.

Dallas3

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out were the coolant smell is coming from, I have the same problem with my 2021 Ram 1500

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 124452
Read more carefully, this is not "supposed to" happen. Rather they are describing what can happen if you use coolant containing particulates or dissolved minerals.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overflow reservoir venting is a common opinion
So I have to take issue. Not with you, but with the terminology and misunderstandings it might lead to. This is *NOT* an overflow reservoir, it is an *EXPANSION* reservoir or bottle. The difference is significant why? Because if you think it's just to catch "overflow", you might think it should be empty under normal circumstances. That is not the case. It's there for engine coolant to expand into when it gets hot, and so that same coolant can be sucked back into the engine as it cools. It's normal operating level is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 to 2/3 full, depending on engine temperature.

What does this have to do with the thread? Well, maybe if the OVERFLOW reservoir is empty, the hot coolant (above 212F) expanding out of the warming-up engine will come into contact with very little to cool it off, and may just evaporate and smell. :( But if the EXPANSION reservoir already contains a good amount of fluid near ambient temperature, then hot coolant expanding into it will immediately come into contact with cooler fluid and probably be prevented from evaporating, and the smell will be minimized. :)

Not saying this is everyone's answer, but do you see how the differences in concept might lead some users to cause their own problems by filling to the wrong level? The fact that nearly everyone keeps using the term "overflow" makes me wonder, and led me to post this. :unsure:

My $.02. Hope it helps.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All water pumps are designed with a weep hole to drain off coolant that gets past the shaft seal. This is by design. But it doesn't mean it's normal for that to happen. It means the water pump needs to be replaced because the seal has failed.
It also hopefully directs the fluid to someplace where it won't hurt much, as opposed to squirting out the front into the fan and belts and everything they sling stuff onto.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I have to take issue. Not with you, but with the terminology and misunderstandings it might lead to. This is *NOT* an overflow reservoir, it is an *EXPANSION* reservoir or bottle. The difference is significant why? Because if you think it's just to catch "overflow", you might think it should be empty under normal circumstances. That is not the case. It's there for engine coolant to expand into when it gets hot, and so that same coolant can be sucked back into the engine as it cools. It's normal operating level is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 to 2/3 full, depending on engine temperature.

What does this have to do with the thread? Well, maybe if the OVERFLOW reservoir is empty, the hot coolant (above 212F) expanding out of the warming-up engine will come into contact with very little to cool it off, and may just evaporate and smell. :( But if the EXPANSION reservoir already contains a good amount of fluid near ambient temperature, then hot coolant expanding into it will immediately come into contact with cooler fluid and probably be prevented from evaporating, and the smell will be minimized. :)

Not saying this is everyone's answer, but do you see how the differences in concept might lead some users to cause their own problems by filling to the wrong level? The fact that nearly everyone keeps using the term "overflow" makes me wonder, and led me to post this. :unsure:

My $.02. Hope it helps.
Tomato, tomahto. Could also call it a recirculating catch can.

Users who are viewing this thread