5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1200 coming to market? What is your opinion?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ugly.

1200? What's that, 4/5ths of a half-ton? (Give me a minute...) 800 lb payload?

(And why is it a 1500 if it only has 1,000 lb payload?)

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Aaarrrgggg!! It's like the girl you took home from the bar the night before. You wake up with her the next morning to discover she's so incredibly ugly It's worth gnawing your own arm off to get away from her!! (Ladies, please feel free to insert "he, him" in place of "she, her" because you know it's happened to you or someone you know too.) 😁

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a lot of us would like to see a Dakota come back to the market but.. this is not a Dakota…

Maverick proves the idea of a mini truck is do-able but it can’t look That ugly

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
No one has done a new, attractive compact pickup in recent years. Tacoma sorta outgrew what it was. I do miss the days of being able to reach anything in our Ranger bed without having to climb or jump. This truck is ugly, to be sure. But to be successful, it just needs to be smart about cost cutting and efficient. This is aimed at a different segment so if take our feedback with a grain of salt.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the 1200 as it is.

However, what I would love is to have something like the 700 available for my son when he hits 16 in a few years. Also, these sell for less than $15K - surely some upgrades for US regulations and standards would still keep this at a very palatable entry-level price point...

View attachment 124982
Have you considered a used Subaru Baja?

OhioGreenLaramie

Reaction score
I would like the option of a smaller vehicle. My work car is a '15 4x4 Cherokee TrailHawk, thinking about replacing it with a 4x4 Renegade when it's time. My dad has a '17 Renegade and it is not a bad vehicle for what it is. With Ram prices easily hitting $70K, having a smaller, lower cost more fuel efficient option just makes sense. This way they can tap into those that can't afford the larger option but want a smaller truck. I know mine is probably not a popular opinion but it is mine, lol. I had a '01 4x4 Dakota SLT Reg Cab and loved it, I traded that in on a '14 Ram 4x4 Express Reg Cab and loved that even more. I dearly love my '21 Ram but not sure I will replace it with another.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If the only options were the Ford Maverick and the Ram 1200, I would take the Ford Maverick. The Ram 1200 sure needs a update. Looks like its from the 1980's even my first vehicle was a 1986 Toyota pickup and it looked way better than the hideous Ram 1200.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A version that looks like that will never come to the US. I put my money on the US version being vastly different.

CCA

Reaction score
That's the most hideous design I have seen Ram churn out in awhile. Usually, this is not the case but man they are missing the mark on this one. I would imagine this is just the Brazilian design but even then how are they going to do that market like that, with a truck that Fugly! lol I would rather be seen in a 95+ models GMC Jimmy or a Subaru Baja than this ( I only mention those two models as I have owned them in the past but moved on! Hey, still good little vehicles but I shouldn't rather be seen in any older model vehicle like those as opposed to a new one from RAM lol)

blazenlo

Reaction score
I just can't unsee it!!!

iu

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a note, that article is full of speculation, those two vehicles pictured are current trucks sold internationally and likely won't look exactly like either.

The first one is based on the Mitsubishi mid-sized body on frame truck platform, it looks especially weird because that one is a work truck spec with tiny thin tires. Otherwise in more higher specs, it doesn't look that dissimilar to the other mid-sized trucks out there.

I would prefer the RAM 1200 to actually be based on a mid-sized truck platform, and there are plenty to choose from. I wouldn't get worked up by these photos, it's not going to be what it would look like.

d19r93

Reaction score
To compete with the market today, I'd say it would have to have a turbo 4 cylinder engine with AWD. Some people like the idea of a fuel efficient truck because they occasionally go to menards for a DIY project and need the space to put all the crap they buy that's too large to fit inside a van or large car. While the style of the picture is nothing short of Uglier than SH*T, I'm sure adjustments could be made to make it more appealing. I do think they should call it the Dakota. Everyone is bringing back discontinued vehicles, why not jump on that bandwagon and give people something they can recall/relate/remember.

Then again, some people like having a truck just to say they have a truck. :)

I could see it being successful if they design it with a little more style based off the 1500 Ram.

Just my two cents.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do think they should call it the Dakota. Everyone is bringing back discontinued vehicles, why not jump on that bandwagon and give people something they can recall/relate/remember.
Because the leadership at Stellantis is out of touch with the history of Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler, and are slowly destroying the brand. Or they just don't care.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because the leadership at Stellantis is out of touch with the history of Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler, and are slowly destroying the brand. Or they just don't care.

And just to play devils advocate, I'm ok with them not bringing back certain great names from the past if they are going to use it on an inferior product. A good example of that is the blazer from chevy, or a more expensive equinox. I've been into cars just about my entire life and have always been able to easily identify them when I see them, but every time I see an equinox-blazer in the wild I can never tell what it is just by looking at it. Just straight garbage that they are putting the once great blazer name on (and of course I'm referring to K5 blazers).

Or ford with the mach e "mustang, or the small bronco. However, I love what ford did with the larger bronco and whenever I see them I know what it is immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread