5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1200 coming to market? What is your opinion?

RandyMarionCDJR

King of Price
Reaction score
Many have longed for the return of the Dakota or a smaller size truck from the Ram brand. Well I think our dreams have been answered, or have they? It seems the Brazilian COO has let the cat out of the bag on the new Ram 1200. I have waited awhile to post this information as it was originally just a maybe. It looks like as of today the news is getting closer to being a reality. Im going to post the article as well as the design that they have on the front of the page.

I intend to send your reviews to our Stellantis office ( Good or bad) because I know this communities opinion will hold some weight! 5thGenRams has the most active, responsive, & best community on the internet. I have seen more individuals helping one another and giving positive advice all throughout. Glad we made our choice to join! So I need your help! Lets make this active and get some real opinions on this upcoming line up.

Heres the original article:

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/31/ram-1200-small-pickup-stellantis/

1648826193448.png

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The current Middle East Ram 1200 has everything Ram fans love, except style, power, and quality!

A Ram midsize truck would be welcome, but not this eyesore. Make it body on frame, call it a Dakota, give the most powerful engine in its class again, and watch the sales roll in.

Then again, the Maverick shows there is a market for an affordable, fuel efficient, and adequately powerful small truck-like thing. The 1200 may hit the first two, but misses on the power.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's difficult to form an opinion based purely on that. But if I was forced to, I'd say "nope". It's hideous, to be blunt.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like, at least early on, the Dakota could be had with an 8' bed?

While I'm in favor of them offering something midsize, I'm not sure I could get by with that size truck these days. I doubt it would pull our travel trailer as well as the 1500 and it won't have the interior room that has come in handy on long trips. Still, I hope they build it for the US and, like others have said here, don't make it look like that picture.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is the definition of fugly. The best course of action would be to give it a 6.4L and the front end from a Durango

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not a lot of info there. I don't have a use for a small pick-up, but If I was in the market for one, it wouldn't be what I've seen of the 1200. They'd need to make it closer to what jimothy described for it to appeal to me. Of the current small pick-up offerings, I'd either go with a Tacoma TRD Pro or a Colorado ZR2 diesel.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I think it would be a GREAT idea to make one, just not the disgusting eyesore pictured above. RAM needs to do what they (aka Dodge) has always done in the segments they smash into and that's beating everyone in performance. If they bring a 1200, it better look good and go like hell. Put that new GME T6 in it and make it a street performance truck and I will buy!

RichInMN

Reaction score
Not a big fan of the 1200 as it is.

However, what I would love is to have something like the 700 available for my son when he hits 16 in a few years. Also, these sell for less than $15K - surely some upgrades for US regulations and standards would still keep this at a very palatable entry-level price point...

1648840863333.png

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

However, what I would love is to have something like the 700 available for my son when he hits 16 in a few years.

View attachment 124982
Now that's a lot more palatable. Still not for me, but at least I wouldn't gag if I passed one on the road.

Reactions: CCA

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

However, what I would love is to have something like the 700 available for my son when he hits 16 in a few years.

View attachment 124982
Agreed. The 700 isn't exactly my taste, but far less unattractive than the 1200.

I've been working from home for about 3.5 years, and thinking what would I drive if I had to go back to the office? I'd keep my Ram, but would want something cheap and more fuel efficient for sitting in traffic with thousands of other poor saps. When I first read about the Maverick Hybrid, I thought it would be something I'd seriously consider. A 700, or a 1200 that looked more like the 700 than this current 1200, wouldn't make me say "OMG, I must have this!", but it also wouldn't make me gag.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OMG that is hideous!!! If they are going to give it 4 doors, at least extend the wheelbase! Then it will only slightly look like the lovechild of a Nissan and a Buick

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
A 700, or a 1200 that looked more like the 700 than this current 1200, wouldn't make me say "OMG, I must have this!", but it also wouldn't make me gag.
Haha...sorry. Your last sentence gave me a visual image. I imagined a bunch of old design engineers sitting in a cigar smoke filled conference room saying "Lets design something that won't make people gag." :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread