5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Crash Course on 4x4 shifting

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The transfer case with 4-auto is different than the ones with just 4-hi/4-lo/2wd.

This video explains it pretty good. It's a AWD "on demand" system. Even in 4-auto, it doesn't send power to front wheels until needed.

The video you linked appears to be incorrect, and not posted by the manufacturer\declined to use the video so this video is fiction for whatever reason they did not want to use it.
1666635245099.png

Here is a video from the same place but it appears the manufacture ended up using it.
Note this has an actual Ram in it and not a generic placeholder.
It's showing an 20/80 split between the front and rear.

Here is a press release from Borg Warner for the transfer case, it doesn't get very detailed in operation though but does state "The heart of BorgWarner’s new EMOD transfer case is a motor-driven rotational cam mechanism which provides both robust clutch control and range shift function. The active clutch actuation technology delivers higher torque output, linear clutch response and preemptive clutch locking torque with zero rear wheel spin."

I also see more articles that state this

"Transfer cases get upgrades Buyers who equip their 2019 Ram 1500 with a four-wheel drive drivetrain can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the Borg Warner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel.
...The on-demand transfer case has 4Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo selections. 4Auto provides full-time 4WD, responding automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo function equally to the part-time transfer case.""

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The video you linked appears to be incorrect, and not posted by the manufacturer\declined to use the video so this video is fiction for whatever reason they did not want to use it.
View attachment 142088

Here is a video from the same place but it appears the manufacture ended up using it.
Note this has an actual Ram in it and not a generic placeholder.
It's showing an 20/80 split between the front and rear.

Here is a press release from Borg Warner for the transfer case, it doesn't get very detailed in operation though but does state "The heart of BorgWarner’s new EMOD transfer case is a motor-driven rotational cam mechanism which provides both robust clutch control and range shift function. The active clutch actuation technology delivers higher torque output, linear clutch response and preemptive clutch locking torque with zero rear wheel spin."

I also see more articles that state this

"Transfer cases get upgrades Buyers who equip their 2019 Ram 1500 with a four-wheel drive drivetrain can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the Borg Warner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel.
...The on-demand transfer case has 4Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo selections. 4Auto provides full-time 4WD, responding automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo function equally to the part-time transfer case.""
There is obvious no clear concise answer as different sources have conflicting information. The Ram video linked above mine describes it exactly how I have with it powering only the rear wheels until it senses slip, then transfers power to front wheels.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there is indeed any amount of front wheel slip permitted in 4A before it locks up, then it is imperceptible. I’ve tried all kinds of things to “trick” it and catch it sleeping.

4A boosted 2,600 rpm launches at the strip. 50% of on road driving in 4A for 3 years now. No issues.

Only thing it doesn’t like is flooring it with the wheels fully turned. Unsurprisingly. It feels like it might Ramp down front torque distribution in relation to steering angle? Probably in sympathy for the CV joints.

Those that get overheat warnings are very curious, and I suspect it’s a software issue. Ford runs the same tcase on F150 Lariat+ models and there’s not been the slightest mention of overheating or lack of clutch clamping force. Perhaps Ford suppresses the warning / Ram is more conservative?

Starkhaus

Reaction score
And keep the shift motor free'd up.

I will add that you should not try to shift to any 4WD when you are stuck and spinning the rear tires at all, with TCS "off". It makes bad noises. 🤣

4HI/LO keeps the center transfer case locked, so turning on pavement with the different turning radii of each wheel causes the transfer case gears (or chain) to bind. That is what is hard on the truck. Same with the electric rear locker on the ORP.

While they will shift (except LO) at any speed, the higher the speed, the more the wear on the synchros. DAMHIK

Be careful of long use of 4AUTO; some have reported overheating of the transfer case, altho I think it was a summer off road issue.
I didn’t even think of using 4WD occasionally to keep everything movin. Would 4Auto suffice for that purpose?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
4 Lo it great for getting yourself unstuck too. Ton's of torque.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As long as your not on dry pavement.
You can use AWD Auto on dry pavement.
There isn't really a point though.
Obviously the move moving parts the more wear and tear on your truck, but you should not damage it (just more wear and tear) by driving in AWD, 4H and 4L you would cause damage especially while turning

Personally I use 4H and if it's raining and and i'm driving spirited I turn on AWD Auto as I have had quite a few fishtails at speeds of over 30mph due to the combination of stock 22s, engine tune, and Sprint Booster

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If there is indeed any amount of front wheel slip permitted in 4A before it locks up, then it is imperceptible. I’ve tried all kinds of things to “trick” it and catch it sleeping.

4A boosted 2,600 rpm launches at the strip. 50% of on road driving in 4A for 3 years now. No issues.

Only thing it doesn’t like is flooring it with the wheels fully turned. Unsurprisingly. It feels like it might Ramp down front torque distribution in relation to steering angle? Probably in sympathy for the CV joints.

Those that get overheat warnings are very curious, and I suspect it’s a software issue. Ford runs the same tcase on F150 Lariat+ models and there’s not been the slightest mention of overheating or lack of clutch clamping force. Perhaps Ford suppresses the warning / Ram is more conservative?
4-auto at the track sucks. Your time are slower due to losing power to clutch slip in transfer case. I only use 4-high at the track. I've tried 4-auto and was slower

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t even think of using 4WD occasionally to keep everything movin. Would 4Auto suffice for that purpose?
Not in the truest sense. You are exercising the shifters; the exterior driveline isn't the problem. You should shift to each setting a few times a year. I think that may even be in the manual.
4 Lo it great for getting yourself unstuck too. Ton's of torque.
In Michigan, we have sand, snow and mud. I need wheel spin to get unstuck. I know some people use a "crawl" mode, like Toyota, but this is the reason the Sahara (and others) Jeep comes with the 2.72 t-case, and only the Rubicon comes with 4:1. With my 295hp GMC, I needed low range to even spin 4 wheels in sand! 🤣 Obviously the Hemi is more powerful. I do like to use the low range when pulling someone out from being stuck for more torque and more low speed control. I will say, the EPA hanging idle when you lift the throttle is very hard to control with the brakes in low range though.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Borg-Warner 48-11 with the 4-Auto setting is a garbage t-case and I wouldn't use it for any serious off-road recovery or trails whatsoever. It's fine for snowy highways, that's about it. If you really need to use your truck for off-road trails or pulling stuck vehicles free or that kind of thing, you should get the 48-12 t-case instead. It's on the Rebel and I've seen it on some lower trim models too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Borg-Warner 48-11 with the 4-Auto setting is a garbage t-case and I wouldn't use it for any serious off-road recovery or trails whatsoever. It's fine for snowy highways, that's about it. If you really need to use your truck for off-road trails or pulling stuck vehicles free or that kind of thing, you should get the 48-12 t-case instead. It's on the Rebel and I've seen it on some lower trim models too.

The 2022/23 Rebels have the 48-11 now standard.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Not in the truest sense. You are exercising the shifters; the exterior driveline isn't the problem. You should shift to each setting a few times a year. I think that may even be in the manual.

In Michigan, we have sand, snow and mud. I need wheel spin to get unstuck. I know some people use a "crawl" mode, like Toyota, but this is the reason the Sahara (and others) Jeep comes with the 2.72 t-case, and only the Rubicon comes with 4:1. With my 295hp GMC, I needed low range to even spin 4 wheels in sand! 🤣 Obviously the Hemi is more powerful. I do like to use the low range when pulling someone out from being stuck for more torque and more low speed control. I will say, the EPA hanging idle when you lift the throttle is very hard to control with the brakes in low range though.
I see so I could just leave the truck sitting in place and just cycle through all 4 options and it would be fine?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2022/23 Rebels have the 48-11 now standard.

Seriously? That's nuts. WTH would they do that? I didn't make it 30 seconds into an easy task before mine overheated. How is a guy with a Rebel going to tackle trails with a center clutch slipping? Sigh......

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying 4wd auto is standard on 22 Rebels? If so, no that is not true. My 22 does not have auto.

Rear locker is though. 20221025_111451.jpg

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4-auto at the track sucks. Your time are slower due to losing power to clutch slip in transfer case. I only use 4-high at the track. I've tried 4-auto and was slower

Good to know… I’ve tested extensively between 2wd and 4A but never thought to try 4H. Will do next season.

Times are similar between 2wd and 4A but 4A is always faster (esp 60 ft of course), but 2wd *almost* always traps faster. There’s definitely some friction there.

barrak

Reaction score
So, what about shifting back to 2WD... Do I need to slow down to under 3 mph or stop then shift to neutral before disengaging 4WD-LOW?

Users who are viewing this thread