5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions....Such a pain finding the exact truck I want - Search options are limited

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Ok, I have the zipcode page downloaded...I type them in and look. I’ve seen enough to believe that what I’m looking for is there, but the way that Ram goes about it on their page makes it a pain...

19 of 26 Matches
20 of 29 Matches
etc.

I get close to what I want, by guessing and looking at the MSRP, but I know I’m missing some.

So I think I’m done with this...and thus my question, so I can finally get the RAM I want.

***I didn’t really want the Air Suspension, as it seems like one more thing that can go wrong...but if it were the only thing left that didn’t match what you were looking for, would you go for the build.

Ideally, I want:
5’7” bed
Sport Pkg
ORG
Level 2
12” Screen
Colors - Gray, Max, Patriot
Hemi OR Diesel

OR

Same as above, minus Sport Pkg and SIX seater Front bench (which means chrome bumper, but that’s fine as long as I don’t have the “Chrome pkg” that includes the added chrome trim, etc.

What a pain (I know, there are worse problems in the world...). Thank you!

RJS

Reaction score
Try cargurus.com They will let you look at a large selection of options and you can expand the search from 25 miles to nationwide if you desire. You probably won't get everything you want from the list but it will surely eliminate the ones that don't have what you want.

It sounds like you want a Laramie. That's what I bought because I didn't want the air ride nor folding steps. Took about $61K on the sticker to get it but it's exactly what I wanted. Dealer went 305 miles to get it as his price was in-line with the best numbers I could get off the internet, so now I get service at the selling dealer and I didn't need to travel.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Yes, Laramie. I think the best overall option right now. There are some things I like better about the other trims, but think this is the best overall.

by the way...the RAM configuration won’t let me do a Diesel w/the Sunroof???? Strange.. They used to. Maybe a bug

Skidowntown

Reaction score
I realize that and should have done that 8 weeks ago, when I didn’t need the truck as bad as I do now....yes...Lesson learned.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Built to Serve trucks? No chrome, and can be found with all the options on your list, minus the Sport package. The current ones out are Patriot Blue it Ceramic Gray(destroyer gray). Here is mine with 12" screen, big horn level 2, and panoramic sunroof

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_093201.jpg
    IMG_20200829_093201.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 44

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah...I ran into the same issue, your best bet is getting close to a salesman near you and they should be able to do a nationwide search. I was lucky enough to find a truck that was close enough not even 20 miles away.
The other option as noted is to special order...which takes some time.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Check with your local dealer, they have the ability to search for the exact options you want. That's what I did and they were able to ship my truck in from a surrounding state.

ClancyO

Reaction score
And read up on that 12”. It’s definitely cool, but might not be worth the hassle.

I had a similar issue. Had to be a crew, had to have 6’4” bed, search results kept showing me 5’7”’s and quad cabs. I found a truck with more than I wanted, and only missed out on one thing (33 gal tank) so keep digging, you’ll find it..

tom318

Reaction score
Yes, Laramie. I think the best overall option right now. There are some things I like better about the other trims, but think this is the best overall.

by the way...the RAM configuration won’t let me do a Diesel w/the Sunroof???? Strange.. They used to. Maybe a bug

The Ram website is 100% accurate on what you can actually configure. I wanted to configure a truck and send that configuration to several dealers to get the best price on an order but for that very reason i couldn't. I wanted a diesel with sunroof.

Where are you located? if you good with the HEMI there has to be one out there. The diesel starts to get tough. On cars.com or cars app on a mobile device (mobile seems better for me) if you search ALL and select 2020, Laramie, Blue ext color and then in "Add Keywords" section type your options it get pretty close. Add works like "Sport appearance" or "off road". I couldn't find what i wanted even after looking for 6 months and ended up ordering one. Any features you absolutely don't want and couldn't live with? I like looking for specific cars, its becoming a hobby almost.

If you find one that looks close but cant confirm all features/options, use the link below and replace the VIN (start at 1C6....) number in the URL with the truck you found. That will give you the actual window sticker.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And read up on that 12”. It’s definitely cool, but might not be worth the hassle.

I had a similar issue. Had to be a crew, had to have 6’4” bed, search results kept showing me 5’7”’s and quad cabs. I found a truck with more than I wanted, and only missed out on one thing (33 gal tank) so keep digging, you’ll find it..

Sometimes I wish I had kept digging or given up and ordered a truck...when towing a TT you wish you had the 33 gal tank really really quick.
I'm torn on the 12" screen, while I definitely enjoy it I probably wouldn't have ordered it. BUT after having it, my next truck would have to have it.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I have a car hauler, and most of my tow adventures aren’t too long distance, but I do have one in the next 6-8 weeks that’ll be cross-country. So, 2 5 gallon Jerry cans will come along for the ride so I can self-rescue myself should I need too. I also noted that I have the extra cross-member needed for the third strap on the 33 gallon tank, so it’s a potential upgrade.. Didn’t intend to highjack the thread, but the one thing I didn’t get I can still add. And may not really need anyway...

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Don’t worry about hi-jacking, I’m sure my post is already out there in the search somewhere, and feel bad about adding another one w/all of this noise

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine on the spur of the moment. It had everything I wanted except the color..I didn't want black. I don't dislike black it's just hard to keep clean, my white truck was easy. Anyway I drove it and fell in love with it. Got a good deal plus 0% and it'll be paid off in 3 years but could not get them to throw in the 22 yr old blond to wash the truck weekly so I bought a cheap pressure washer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Built to Serve trucks? No chrome, and can be found with all the options on your list, minus the Sport package. The current ones out are Patriot Blue it Ceramic Gray(destroyer gray). Here is mine with 12" screen, big horn level 2, and panoramic sunroof
The BTS is based on the Big Horn. OP is looking for a Laramie. I assume he has his reasons for not wanting a BH. I looked at a couple Big Horns that had almost identical options to the Laramie I ended up buying. But the ventilated leather trimmed seats were a must have for me.

ClancyO

Reaction score
..and the proxy key, and rain sensing wipers.. You can’t go wrong with the Laramie and surely you can find BTS grill and do the swap.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The BTS is based on the Big Horn. OP is looking for a Laramie. I assume he has his reasons for not wanting a BH. I looked at a couple Big Horns that had almost identical options to the Laramie I ended up buying. But the ventilated leather trimmed seats were a must have for me.
Just going off the features he desired.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
..and the proxy key, and rain sensing wipers.. You can’t go wrong with the Laramie and surely you can find BTS grill and do the swap.
Those weren't listed as options he desired, and there's more to a BTS than just the grill, which is the same as a Tradesman

Skidowntown

Reaction score
Ok...I went test driving today to see if I could tell the difference between the Laramie’s w/ and w/o the Off Road Group. Both were 4x4. I went over the same exact roads...and honestly, I could barely tell the difference. I may give a slight nod to the truck w/the ORG.

But here’s the more interesting thing to me. I had thought the ORG was taller.

They are both very close..these trucks had the same wheels. The Truck w/ORG was taller (maybe “0.5-1”” in the front, but the non-ORG truck was higher in the back. They were on the exact equal pavement side by side.

So if I can’t find ORG, I think I”m good w/ the Non-ORG...I think :)

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok...I went test driving today to see if I could tell the difference between the Laramie’s w/ and w/o the Off Road Group. Both were 4x4. I went over the same exact roads...and honestly, I could barely tell the difference. I may give a slight nod to the truck w/the ORG.

But here’s the more interesting thing to me. I had thought the ORG was taller.

They are both very close..these trucks had the same wheels. The Truck w/ORG was taller (maybe “0.5-1”” in the front, but the non-ORG truck was higher in the back. They were on the exact equal pavement side by side.

So if I can’t find ORG, I think I”m good w/ the Non-ORG...I think :)
Someone else will chime in, but I thought the ORG was 1" higher all the way around...but may it is just the front. Of course the skid plates and tow hooks are part of it, I don't recall if there's some other stuff too.(I'm not familiar with that package at all)
If you like the levelled look then those kits are cheap and relatively easy to install.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread