5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the RAMBox cargo system.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I have the RAMboxes, but no divider.

Speaking of dividers, does anybody have a template for inner dividers inside the RAMboxes?
Yeah - you will want to search for that. Some 3D printers on here.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another person on here custom created his own .. I was going to use ABS myself and make mine, but since he already did all the research, I'm just gonna buy a set from him :)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought the Rambox divider on eBay. But, it does not come with a key.

Anybody know what I will need to do to have a key that works with it? Can any old locksmith rekey the cylinder that is in it to my truck key? Various eBay ads claim that I can just "order a key from my dealer", but that sounds bogus. I want it to work with my existing truck key.

When it is being used as a bed extender, there is nothing that keeps it locked to the truck, correct? The key is only for the lock in the middle, which only does anything when it's being used as a divider, not an extender, correct?

I guess if it doesn't lock when it's being an extender then none of this is really a big deal. If it's just in there as a divider, it will be under a locked tonneau cover. So, probably no need to get it keyed to my truck key. But, still. I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just bought the Rambox divider on eBay. But, it does not come with a key.

Anybody know what I will need to do to have a key that works with it? Can any old locksmith rekey the cylinder that is in it to my truck key? Various eBay ads claim that I can just "order a key from my dealer", but that sounds bogus. I want it to work with my existing truck key.

When it is being used as a bed extender, there is nothing that keeps it locked to the truck, correct? The key is only for the lock in the middle, which only does anything when it's being used as a divider, not an extender, correct?

I guess if it doesn't lock when it's being an extender then none of this is really a big deal. If it's just in there as a divider, it will be under a locked tonneau cover. So, probably no need to get it keyed to my truck key. But, still. I'd like to know.

Thanks!
I tried to ask my service dealer about rekeying it to match my key and they acted like they couldn’t so I just didn’t worry about it. I had my purchasing dealer include mine with my purchase even though I didn’t have BUG package.

Lize

Reaction score
@StuartV you are right with your ideas about the key, it only locks in divider mode for theft deterrent if no tonneau cover, not used in extender mode.

Mine came with BUG from factory and there is an additional separate key provided for it. I have a cover so will never use it.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@StuartV you are right with your ideas about the key, it only locks in divider mode for theft deterrent if no tonneau cover, not used in extender mode.

Mine came with BUG from factory and there is an additional separate key provided for it. I have a cover so will never use it.

Thank you for that info. I would not have guessed that they come with a separate key, but that makes sense. So, maybe I CAN get a key for it from the dealer (if I decide I want one, for some reason).

Lize

Reaction score
Thank you for that info. I would not have guessed that they come with a separate key, but that makes sense. So, maybe I CAN get a key for it from the dealer (if I decide I want one, for some reason).
I didn't study it but I would think a locksmith could cut one or maybe the barrel could be changed if you felt you needed one.
Not sure if the key also operates the boxes independent of the central locking, will check if I remember tomorrow.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't study it but I would think a locksmith could cut one or maybe the barrel could be changed if you felt you needed one.
Not sure if the key also operates the boxes independent of the central locking, will check if I remember tomorrow.

My brother had a '16 1500 Limited with RamBoxes. He said his valet key for the truck also opened the lock on his RamBox divider. So, maybe they don't currently come keyed to the truck's key, but I'm thinking that they COULD be keyed that way. I think that would be WAY better than just having a separate key for the divider. I looked at a picture of the key cylinder in the divider. Anybody who can get it out and has the right shims could key it to a new key. I would expect any good locksmith would be able to do it. Doing the keying itself is easy if you have the correct shim kit and can get the cylinder out. I will be checking into that once I receive the divider I bought.

I don't really see needing my key to work in the divider. But, my OCD is such that I want it to work, if it CAN. It will always bug me knowing that some instance MAY come up where I really want to lock it and can't.

Lize

Reaction score
I didn’t get as far as trying it in the locks but my divider blade key is same as the one in the main key fob. Suppose it’s easier to use than unclipping (if thats the right word) the one from the fob.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t get as far as trying it in the locks but my divider blade key is same as the one in the main key fob. Suppose it’s easier to use than unclipping (if thats the right word) the one from the fob.

I wonder if the divider lock is set so that any key from a RAM truck will open it...

I normally only have my truck key fob in my pocket. No other keys at all. If the key that is inside the key fob works on my divider lock, that would be perfect. My divider won't arrive until early next week (at the soonest). I guess I'll find out then.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the divider lock is set so that any key from a RAM truck will open it...

I normally only have my truck key fob in my pocket. No other keys at all. If the key that is inside the key fob works on my divider lock, that would be perfect. My divider won't arrive until early next week (at the soonest). I guess I'll find out then.
I believe they’re keyed to the truck...unless I’m smoking something and that only applies to the tailgate and RamBoxes.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Final follow-up:

I got my RamBox divider on eBay. It did not come with a key. The key inside my fob could be made to turn the lock, but only with a lot of wiggling and turning it pretty hard.

I took the divider and the key from my fob to a locksmith. He re-keyed the lock in the divider to work with my key. Now it works easily and turns like butter.

And, apparently, the task of re-keying was very easy because the locksmith quoted me a price and then when he was done and I went to pick it up, he knocked $20 off his original quote.

Now that my key works with it, I'll probably never, ever actually lock the divider. I have a Revolver X4 bed cover. But, I feel better knowing that I *can* lock it, if the need ever arises. It ended up costing me $60 for the rekey job, which seems really high. But, the long-term peace of mind is worth it to me.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Final follow-up:

I got my RamBox divider on eBay. It did not come with a key. The key inside my fob could be made to turn the lock, but only with a lot of wiggling and turning it pretty hard.

I took the divider and the key from my fob to a locksmith. He re-keyed the lock in the divider to work with my key. Now it works easily and turns like butter.

And, apparently, the task of re-keying was very easy because the locksmith quoted me a price and then when he was done and I went to pick it up, he knocked $20 off his original quote.

Now that my key works with it, I'll probably never, ever actually lock the divider. I have a Revolver X4 bed cover. But, I feel better knowing that I *can* lock it, if the need ever arises. It ended up costing me $60 for the rekey job, which seems really high. But, the long-term peace of mind is worth it to me.
I asked my dealer about rekeying mine and they acted like it couldn’t be done. I may never lock mine either as I have it under my mx4 but would like to have the option. I’ll be taking mine to a locksmith too.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I haven't ordered mine yet, but some other Rambox items:

1) There are two different utility rails, depending on whether the factory tonneau cover is ordered. With the order, the rails are black and the top is a box section that is level with the top of the bed forming a surface for the tonneau cover the rest on. Virtually no other cover will work with the black rails although I'm not sure about the Mopar accessory hardcover for Rambox.

The other is a silver rail that has a grove along its top surface. Some aftermarket covers that work with the silver rail virtually take it over. My favorite cover, the Peregon, doesn't work with the Rambox. The Retrax retractable cover has a Rambox version, but not with their convenient XR rails. However, like all retractables, it takes up some bed space and can't be easily removed. By comparison, the factory cover just lifts off.

Overall, many/most tonneau covers don't fit the Rambox. There are covers, but fewer options.

2) There is a very limited selection of ladder/item racks available, and some (most/all?) require the silver rail. Normally there are low racks available that extend over the bed with attachments like typical roof rails. There are also fancy ones for conventional beds that extend to the height of the roof and sometimes over the roof. An Australian firm showed a great one a couple of years ago, but it seems to have disappeared.

3) Similarly, there are fewer floor covers available. I am looking for something like the WeatherTech, but which can just be laid on top of the spray-in liner, not glued to the floor.

4) There are no stake pockets. A bit surprising, since there appears to be more than enough real estate on the sides of the Rambox.

5) The kits to store long items (e.g. fishing poles) are available for the 6'4" Rambox on HD models, on the 5'7" on the 1500s.

6) The Amp BedStep2 ( aside deployable step available on the F-150) does fit the Rambox.

7) As you know, the divider is in BUG and the extender pins no longer are included. There are questions if FCA will eliminate their mounting points (or if it already has since no one has tried on a 2020 yet.) It isn't clear if the Multifunction Tailgate works with the bed extender pins. I haven't seen the combo in person, and certainly not with the bed extender since that is no longer an official feature.

8) On the positive side, the Rambox with MFT doesn't have the corner braces on the front of the bed. Those braces are causing non-Rambox MFT owners Rambox like problems in getting tonneau covers.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3) Similarly, there are fewer floor covers available. I am looking for something like the WeatherTech, but which can just be laid on top of the spray-in liner, not glued to the floor.

I got a "recycled rubber commercial door mat" from Home Depot. It was $30. The width is perfect for a RamBox bed. I just had to trim 5" off one end to fit perfectly in my 5'7" bed.

It seems reasonably durable. It is very grippy, so things back there do not slide around. On top of my Line-X spray-in, it doesn't move, either. It has a textured/grooved surface, so water or dirt can go down in the grooves and my stuff isn't sitting in/on it.

I have posted pictures elsewhere here, if you want to see them. A quick search should turn them up easily.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
When I got my truck (June of last year) they were not available just yet. @Edwards demoed the Ramboxes on his truck and I really liked how useful they are, so my next RAM will prob have them.

Cheers,

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
You can still fit pallets in the bed with RAMBoxes. The bed has wiggle room on both sides of a pallet. You are sacrificing a few inches of space on either side, but the wheel wells would hinder most of the space from being useful anyhow (e.g. for boxes or other cube-shaped items).

RAMBoxes, to me, are much more convenient than traditional truck toolboxes. You get all the depth of your bed and two accompanying tool boxes that are more easily accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread