5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the headlights

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here.

Just bought my Bighorn in maximum steel! I am already in love and I got every option I wanted except one and it was something I compromised on because I am hoping it will be the easiest to change. I got the bottom tier headlights and I am really wanted the middle tier headlights. Do we already know that this is a relatively simple swap or is there something that will make it difficult?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome. I can’t answer your headlight question. Haven’t done that. There are a number of threads on here about swapping lights though so you might be able to find what you’re looking for by doing a search. Also check out this additional rebate....

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score
Welcome. I can’t answer your headlight question. Haven’t done that. There are a number of threads on here about swapping lights though so you might be able to find what you’re looking for by doing a search. Also check out this additional rebate....

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf
Thanks for the heads up!

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here.

Just bought my Bighorn in maximum steel! I am already in love and I got every option I wanted except one and it was something I compromised on because I am hoping it will be the easiest to change. I got the bottom tier headlights and I am really wanted the middle tier headlights. Do we already know that this is a relatively simple swap or is there something that will make it difficult?

There’s a few threads on here about this topic.

The tail lights are plug and play, the headlights are not. A company called retro shop has the adapter harness that you’ll need for $175.00. Link below.

http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5G.ADAPT

You can find the headlights and tail lights new online from several different wholesalers. The tails are around $600; the headlights are $1000 +

Part Numbers:

Headlights:

Chrome bezels:
Left: 68316083AG
Right: 68316082AG

Black bezels:
Left: 68316089AG
Right: 68316088AG

Tail Lights:

Red:
Left: 55112991AD
Right: 5511290AD

Black:
Left: 5511293AD
Right: 5511292AD

The tail lights are easy to swap (literally 10 minutes); The headlights are a little tricky and require quite a bit of disassembly. The radiator cover, header panel, grill and front fascia pieces need to come off. It’s pretty straight forward, except for the fascias, which are a pain to get off. If you click on the above link, there is an installation guide that you can reference.

I have already done the swap, as have at least a couple of other members.

Here’s my before and after..

DFC33578-FECD-4B4F-8866-35DE3CD1E542.jpeg

Last edited:

ppowell1983

Reaction score

The tail lights are plug and play, the headlights are not. A company called retro shop has the adapter harness that’s you’ll need for $175.00. Link below.

You can find the headlights and tail lights new online from several different wholesalers. The tails are around $600; the headlights are $1000 +

Part Numbers:

Headlights:

Chrome bezels:

Black bezels:

Tail Lights:

Red:

Black:

The tail lights are easy to swap (literally 10 minutes); The headlights are a little tricky and require quite a bit of disassembly. The radiator cover, header panel, grill and front fascia pieces need to come off. It’s pretty straight forward, except for the fascias, which are a pain to get off. If you click on the above link, there is an installation guide that you can reference.

View attachment 29315

Are the panels under the front lights the same on all versions of the truck? With the headlight shapes they look like it would be different depending on which headlights you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They’re the same on the Bighorn and Laramie (and Tradesman I think).

I believe the Rebel fascias are unique, because it has a different front bumper, grill, etc. The mid-level LEDs fit on the BigHorn, Laramie and Rebel. The Laramie Longhorn and Limited are different because they have projector LEDs, which are a slimmer design than the mid-level LEDs.

Last edited:

ppowell1983

Reaction score
They’re the same on the Bighorn and Laramie (and Tradesman I think).

The Rebel is unique, because it has a different front bumper, grill, etc., and the Laramie Longhorn and Limited are also different because they have HID LEDs, which are a slimmer design than the mid-level LEDs.

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumblebee2004

Reaction score

The tail lights are plug and play, the headlights are not. A company called retro shop has the adapter harness that you’ll need for $175.00. Link below.

Part Numbers:

Headlights:

Chrome bezels:

Black bezels:

Tail Lights:

Red:

Black:

View attachment 29315
Thanks a bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread