5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the 2023 Digital Gauge Cluster and Exchanging it from an Analog Cluster from 2022

JohnGow383

Reaction score
First off, I am from the UK and I have a MY 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. Because these vehicles are not directly imported into the UK, they first get imported to Belgium I think and these use km not miles.
One of my pet hates was that the analog speedo has the larger km number on the gauge and so I asked my dealer if I could have this changed to the mph one since that's the unit of measurement used in the UK. In fact, metric only signs are illegal in the UK on the roads.
Anyway, my dealer said would I prefer to upgrade this to the digital cluster found on the MY2023 models and I have said yes. It's not cheap!
They reckon it can be done but I was just hoping anyone here who has an older 5th gen has ever done this? My only real concern is that on the steering wheel the MY2023 models use the middle button where the cell phone buttons are to bring up the extended customizable menu on the digital cluster. This button on older menus is for the voice command activation for the U Connect 5 system.
So I am not 100% convinced that it's even going to be compatible. Dealer says this has been done in the States but there's not too much info on it.
I also have a Tazer fitted and was going to return all settings to default and unmarry / disconnect before swapping the gauge clusters over.
Has anyone here ever done this before?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It would probably work. A button is a button, if it's received as the correct button it does an action. The fact that it's the same button but it's feature has been replaced it should work fine.
You may also need to use 2023 firmware on your radio (uConnect5) for proper functionality

JohnGow383

Reaction score
It would probably work. A button is a button, if it's received as the correct button it does an action. The fact that it's the same button but it's feature has been replaced it should work fine.
You may also need to use 2023 firmware on your radio (uConnect5) for proper functionality
Ok thanks. The question is, how do you activate the voice command on the 2023s since this button is no longer for that?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it is just a plug and play swap. And pretty sure I've seen that you would need the radio and a couple other modules from the 2023, with digital cluster, to make it work as well.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First off, I am from the UK and I have a MY 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. Because these vehicles are not directly imported into the UK, they first get imported to Belgium I think and these use km not miles.
One of my pet hates was that the analog speedo has the larger km number on the gauge and so I asked my dealer if I could have this changed to the mph one since that's the unit of measurement used in the UK. In fact, metric only signs are illegal in the UK on the roads.
Anyway, my dealer said would I prefer to upgrade this to the digital cluster found on the MY2023 models and I have said yes. It's not cheap!
They reckon it can be done but I was just hoping anyone here who has an older 5th gen has ever done this? My only real concern is that on the steering wheel the MY2023 models use the middle button where the cell phone buttons are to bring up the extended customizable menu on the digital cluster. This button on older menus is for the voice command activation for the U Connect 5 system.
So I am not 100% convinced that it's even going to be compatible. Dealer says this has been done in the States but there's not too much info on it.
I also have a Tazer fitted and was going to return all settings to default and unmarry / disconnect before swapping the gauge clusters over.
Has anyone here ever done this before?
The swap has been done. It requires a conversion harness. Everything will work like it’s supposed to except for the factory navigation map being displayed in the cluster (you would need a 2023 BCM and 2023 radio module for that). You will need to replace the left steering wheel switch with the new one in order to access the customizable tiles. On the new switch, the top button will now perform the voice command feature AND answer phone function (so it performs both 1 & 2 from the old button layout).

barrak

Reaction score
This could escalate pretty quick, cost wise. I would look up someone who actually did the swap and pick their brain on the actual list of changes, costs, and consequent behavior. The Tazer would probably have a say as well... it's behavior is not consistent across model years.

A simpler swap would be a miles analog cluster, your original aim. Besides, you wanna make sure you'll like the digital cluster. I'm not thrilled about it on my '23, and I'm not alone.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok thanks. The question is, how do you activate the voice command on the 2023s since this button is no longer for that?
You don't need a button. You just say "hey uconnect" or other programmed word to wake it up.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
This could escalate pretty quick, cost wise. I would look up someone who actually did the swap and pick their brain on the actual list of changes, costs, and consequent behavior. The Tazer would probably have a say as well... it's behavior is not consistent across model years.

A simpler swap would be a miles analog cluster, your original aim. Besides, you wanna make sure you'll like the digital cluster. I'm not thrilled about it on my '23, and I'm not alone.
I originally had this idea and they fitted it for me before I bought the vehicle new, and then they realized it was the model that didn't have the heads up display which is typical....I dont think anyone has done it here, these things are fairly rare here espeically as they are lhd in a rhd country. I am the ginea pig.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
You don't need a button. You just say "hey uconnect" or other programmed word to wake it up.
oh I didn't know that. tbh I usually just use Google Assistant through Android connect for anything including maps (much better tbh)

JohnGow383

Reaction score
The swap has been done. It requires a conversion harness. Everything will work like it’s supposed to except for the factory navigation map being displayed in the cluster (you would need a 2023 BCM and 2023 radio module for that). You will need to replace the left steering wheel switch with the new one in order to access the customizable tiles. On the new switch, the top button will now perform the voice command feature AND answer phone function (so it performs both 1 & 2 from the old button layout).
thanks. Jeezuz, not that straight forward then. The whole point of having it is to have the nav showing there and the tiles. I'll go back to the dealer and see what they say. It's a 350mile drive from where I live too.

Last edited:

JohnGow383

Reaction score

What do you not like about it out of interest?

barrak

Reaction score
thanks. Jeezuz, not that straight forward then. The whole point of having it is to have the nav showing there and the tiles. I'll go back to the dealer and see what they say. It's a 350mile drive from where I live too.
You mean 500-600 km. You see... it's a lot cheaper to re-wire your brain. :LOL:

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Hi again. Can you tell me exactly what the conversion harness is and who supplies it? Thanks

JohnGow383

Reaction score
You mean 500-600 km. You see... it's a lot cheaper to re-wire your brain. :LOL:
Don't worry, everthing is in miles, the odometer / digital speedo, and it's also even in mpg (UK Gallons), it's literally just the scale on the right hand analog speedo.... (OCD)

No I cannot really get my head around km 😂

barrak

Reaction score
What do you not like about it out of interest?
Several little things, some are personal/unproven objections, and most are not specific to RAM's implementation;

Aesthetics: I really liked the discarded Longhorn analog cluster.

Confused priorities: It's a mix of critical and frivolous display options. I think the cluster should be limited to what the driver needs to know instantaneously while driving. I consider Nav, HUD info, played media, ...etc, are distractions and should be relegated to the center console.

Usability: The more analog to digital conversion layers between you and road/machine, the less intimate knowledge and experience you gain with long-term use.

Longevity: I keep my vehicles 8-12 years. Never had an analog cluster go bust on me or black out when a battery completely drains or a chip fries. I do not have the same confidence with computer wizardry. Then again, I believe AI will destroy humanity.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Several little things, some are personal/unproven objections, and most are not specific to RAM's implementation;

Aesthetics: I really liked the discarded Longhorn analog cluster.

Confused priorities: It's a mix of critical and frivolous display options. I think the cluster should be limited to what the driver needs to know instantaneously while driving. I consider Nav, HUD info, played media, ...etc, are distractions and should be relegated to the center console.

Usability: The more analog to digital conversion layers between you and road/machine, the less intimate knowledge and experience you gain with long-term use.

Longevity: I keep my vehicles 8-12 years. Never had an analog cluster go bust on me or black out when a battery completely drains or a chip fries. I do not have the same confidence with computer wizardry. Then again, I believe AI will destroy humanity.
You do realize even the "analog" cluster uses all digital signals. The needles are on electric motors driven by digital signal.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi again. Can you tell me exactly what the conversion harness is and who supplies it? Thanks
The conversion harness is custom, and not something a dealership would do. I can build it for you. I would make certain you are able to actually buy a new digital cluster first.

barrak

Reaction score
You do realize even the "analog" cluster uses all digital signals. The needles are on electric motors driven by digital signal.
Perhaps... but electric motors are driven by "analog" electrical signals. Whether an analog signal traversed from speed sensor to speedometer unmolested, or went through analog-digital-analog conversion, is up to implementation. The former is more robust. The latter is definitely required for a digital cluster.

I'm an old electrical engineer who sees digital signals as necessary evil... invasive (wide frequency spectrum pollutants), weak-minded (easily confused by adjacent invasive signals), and a security liability (due code bugs and viruses).

Users who are viewing this thread