5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about RV length...

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say a bigger truck hides issues with a hitch that isn't up to the task, set up correctly, or dialed in for the rig. You feel it less and it's easier to recover more quickly, but the trailer will do what it's going to do no matter what truck is pulling it and you're going to feel it and see it in your mirrors.

Also, I'm probably as fast or faster getting the ProPride hitched/unhitched as I was with the Andersen, and both are faster than the Husky. The receiver assembly is heavy AF. I had to add a grab handle to move it around without jacking up my back even more. :LOL:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't say a bigger truck hides issues with a hitch that isn't up to the task, set up correctly, or dialed in for the rig. You feel it less and it's easier to recover more quickly, but the trailer will do what it's going to do no matter what truck is pulling it and you're going to feel it and see it in your mirrors.
My experience is otherwise, so is many others on the forums. So many people upgrade to 3/4 tons just for the increased stability in towing, the heavier duty shocks etc. And it's also the reason people use helper springs like Timbrens etc.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My experience is otherwise, so is many others on the forums. So many people upgrade to 3/4 tons just for the increased stability in towing, the heavier duty shocks etc. And it's also the reason people use helper springs like Timbrens etc.
That's fine, but I don't generally find use from "many others on the forums" when I see people claim things like "you just need more tongue weight to fix sway" and "a WDH is a waste of time with an HD truck."

I towed the exact same trailer, loaded exactly the same, with the exact same hitch in the Ram and the F-350. The trailer does what the trailer does, and if you tow long enough with a hitch that isn't dialed in and/or a trailer that isn't properly balanced, you're going to feel it.

silver billet

Reaction score
That's fine, but I don't generally find use from "many others on the forums" when I see people claim things like "you just need more tongue weight to fix sway" and "a WDH is a waste of time with an HD truck."

I towed the exact same trailer, loaded exactly the same, with the exact same hitch in the Ram and the F-350. The trailer does what the trailer does, and if you tow long enough with a hitch that isn't dialed in and/or a trailer that isn't properly balanced, you're going to feel it.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that a 1500 (especially the Ram with coil suspensions) is naturally going to have a tougher time fighting issues like porpoising and sway, vs a 3/4 ton. His tests are all done on a 3/4 ton, and that means he will have a totally different experience when he is evaluating hitches. He even mentions that more than once in those 8+ test videos, "this is my experience on my truck with my trailer" or something to that effect. It doesn't translate to our trucks all that well. Obviously when it comes to comparing build quality or price that won't make a difference.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that a 1500 (especially the Ram with coil suspensions) is naturally going to have a tougher time fighting issues like porpoising and sway, vs a 3/4 ton. His tests are all done on a 3/4 ton, and that means he will have a totally different experience when he is evaluating hitches. He even mentions that more than once in those 8+ test videos, "this is my experience on my truck with my trailer" or something to that effect. It doesn't translate to our trucks all that well. Obviously when it comes to comparing build quality or price that won't make a difference.
I mean, I put 15k miles on the Ram towing a similar sized trailer to his with two different hitches... :LOL:

I know what you're saying. My point is, a bigger truck doesn't magically get rid of issues he'd see between the hitches. Sure, a smaller truck and specifically the Ram would experience more pronounced effects from the trailer, but that doesn't mean they're erased with an F-250, either.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can we just be happy that someone took the time out to compare different hitches with their real world setup (couldn’t have been easy). Several manuf claim how much better their hitch are compared to another but nobody really does a real world comparison I’m guessing due to cost, time etc. then we say hey he has a F250 and not a Ram 1500 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silver billet

Reaction score
I mean, I put 15k miles on the Ram towing a similar sized trailer to his with two different hitches... :LOL:

I know what you're saying. My point is, a bigger truck doesn't magically get rid of issues he'd see between the hitches. Sure, a smaller truck and specifically the Ram would experience more pronounced effects from the trailer, but that doesn't mean they're erased with an F-250, either.

They absolutely can be erased. You can also modify the 1500 by using timbrens, or bilsteins, or a different hitch that is not susceptible to sway or porpoising.

silver billet

Reaction score
Can we just be happy that someone took the time out to compare different hitches with their real world setup (couldn’t have been easy).

He has a YT channel that he's trying to grow. Nothing wrong with that, but he did that comparison to help himself as well. So it's less about "taking the time" and more about "hey guys please help my channel grow".

Several manuf claim how much better their hitch are compared to another but nobody really does a real world comparison I’m guessing due to cost, time etc. then we say hey he has a F250 and not a Ram 1500 .

I'm not saying the tests were useless, nor am I not appreciative of the results. I'm just saying we need to keep in mind that his truck will produce different results than ours, in addition to him having possibly different priorities in a hitch. That's the problem when you have a single test trying to pick a winner; we first need to run the same trucks so that the results are directly comparable, and second we need to agree on what criteria matters most because every hitch is a compromise in one way or another.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They absolutely can be erased. You can also modify the 1500 by using timbrens, or bilsteins, or a different hitch that is not susceptible to sway or porpoising.
That's mitigation. You can improve the way the tow vehicle reacts to those effects, but they're still there. The same is true for a heavy duty truck.

This is why it's a frequent occurrence for someone to go from a half ton to a heavy duty truck or to buy a "better" hitch, then wonder why they still have issues with sway, porpoising, light steering, etc.

As you said, modifying suspension components, new hitches, new trucks, and so on are ways to mitigate. One of those, the hitch, is exactly what the dude in the video was discussing. His truck and trailer were constants. The hitches were the variables. His review is useful, independent of the truck and trailer. No way around that.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He has a YT channel that he's trying to grow. Nothing wrong with that, but he did that comparison to help himself as well. So it's less about "taking the time" and more about "hey guys please help my channel grow".

I'm not saying the tests were useless, nor am I not appreciative of the results. I'm just saying we need to keep in mind that his truck will produce different results than ours, in addition to him having possibly different priorities in a hitch. That's the problem when you have a single test trying to pick a winner; we first need to run the same trucks so that the results are directly comparable, and second we need to agree on what criteria matters most because every hitch is a compromise in one way or another.
:LOL:

I know someone who towed with a Ram 1500, his winning hitch, and a 7500 lb trailer.

Let me go ask him what he thinks...

silver billet

Reaction score
That's mitigation. You can improve the way the tow vehicle reacts to those effects, but they're still there. The same is true for a heavy duty truck.

This is why it's a frequent occurrence for someone to go from a half ton to a heavy duty truck or to buy a "better" hitch, then wonder why they still have issues with sway, porpoising, light steering, etc.

As you said, modifying suspension components, new hitches, new trucks, and so on are ways to mitigate. One of those, the hitch, is exactly what the dude in the video was discussing. His truck and trailer were constants. The hitches were the variables. His review is useful, independent of the truck and trailer. No way around that.

You're missing my point. If hitch A does better at controlling porpoising than hitch B, but his truck doesn't have porpoising with either hitch because his suspension is much stronger, then his tests won't uncover the advantage of that hitch.

But put both hitches on my truck and you will definitely notice the difference.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're missing my point. If hitch A does better at controlling porpoising than hitch B, but his truck doesn't have porpoising with either hitch because his suspension is much stronger, then his tests won't uncover the advantage of that hitch.
Heavy duty trucks aren't immune to porpoising, sway, or anything else.

The dude even said he experienced porpoising in three of the hitches he reviewed.
But put both hitches on my truck and you will definitely notice the difference.
Or my truck...

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Heavy duty trucks aren't immune to porpoising, sway, or anything else.

I didn't use the word "immune". I said on a 3/4 ton you might not have any in a given setup due to the heavy duty nature of the truck; the increased curb weight, the leaf spring setup etc, whereas on a half ton with soft cushy coils you can have issues with the same trailer/hitch.

The more heavy duty your truck, the less you are susceptible to porpoising and sway.

silver billet

Reaction score
Cool. He did.

Literally the first comment in that thread: "One thing you didn’t mention was porpoising. This hitch is great for that as well. Admittedly, it’s not the best for WD. But for sway and bounce, it’s a winner."

I'm not going to watch all those videos again to argue this, this has gotten beyond stupid at this point.

You want to take one reviewers opinion, with his truck and trailer and cargo setup and use that as the end all and be all, then you go for it.

As I said, different setups react differently, different hitches have different pros and cons, and it just depends on what you value most in a hitch. The entire idea of picking a winner doesn't work unless you agree on what is the highest priorities for you: cost, weight, performance, build quality etc etc.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Literally the first comment in that thread: "One thing you didn’t mention was porpoising. This hitch is great for that as well. Admittedly, it’s not the best for WD. But for sway and bounce, it’s a winner."

I'm not going to watch all those videos again to argue this, this has gotten beyond stupid at this point.
You can do whatever you want.

This is what you said:
"his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place"

That was wrong, as he said in his video more than once with half the hitches he reviewed.
You want to take one reviewers opinion, with his truck and trailer and cargo setup and use that as the end all and be all, then you go for it.
Nope. I've repeatedly given my opinion based on my experience.

It continues to amuse me that you're arguing this using points like "half tons and heavy duty trucks are different" or "you can only compare them with the same truck and same trailer." I have a 16 page thread you should check out sometime. If you want some insight on the Andersen and the ProPride, I'm happy to help. 🍻

silver billet

Reaction score
You can do whatever you want.

This is what you said:
"his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place"

That was wrong, as he said in his video more than once with half the hitches he reviewed.

Nope. I've repeatedly given my opinion based on my experience.

It continues to amuse me that you're arguing this using points like "half tons and heavy duty trucks are different" or "you can only compare them with the same truck and same trailer." I have a 16 page thread you should check out sometime. If you want some insight on the Andersen and the ProPride, I'm happy to help. 🍻

This thread was never about me arguing the propride vs the andersen. I have no idea where you got that from. I suspect this is what your issue really is, you want to insist that the propride is the best option for everybody (it isn't).

I've consistently said: a 3/4 ton will reduce/eliminate porpoising in your setup vs a ram 1500 with coils; this is a simple fact, it has heavier curb weight, tougher suspension, even the heavier tires themselves can help. Therefore his experience towing with all those hitches will have different results when you swap all those hitches onto a Ram 1500.

Your experience is yours, my experience is mine and I'll never move back to trunion bars (spring force) on my truck as the static force from the chains in the andersen is a night and day difference when it comes to controlling porpoising in my truck.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This thread was never about me arguing the propride vs the andersen. I have no idea where you got that from. I suspect this is what your issue really is, you want to insist that the propride is the best option for everybody (it isn't).
I pay attention, or you just lay it out as you did at the end of your post...

You're argumentative in most threads I see you post in. That's fine. So am I. But, when you're wrong and you continue to argue about it, I'm going to point it out.
I've consistently said: a 3/4 ton will reduce/eliminate porpoising in your setup vs a ram 1500 with coils; this is a simple fact, it has heavier curb weight, tougher suspension, even the heavier tires themselves can help. Therefore his experience towing with all those hitches will have different results when you swap all those hitches onto a Ram 1500.
Well, what you said was he wouldn't pick up on porpoising. I don't know if you didn't watch the video or you missed his repeated mentions of it. It's quite literally one of the things he dinged the ProPride on. :LOL:
Your experience is yours, my experience is mine
Correct, and my experience includes your hitch.

silver billet

Reaction score
I pay attention, or you just lay it out as you did at the end of your post...

You're argumentative in most threads I see you post in. That's fine. So am I. But, when you're wrong and you continue to argue about it, I'm going to point it out.

Well, what you said was he wouldn't pick up on porpoising. I don't know if you didn't watch the video or you missed his repeated mentions of it. It's quite literally one of the things he dinged the ProPride on. :LOL:

Correct, and my experience includes your hitch.

Nothing I said here is wrong. A heavy duty truck WILL reduce/eliminate porpoising vs a ram 1500. That is a fact you won't accept.

Once you do accept that fact, you'll realize why his comparisons and reviews, while usefull, do not directly copy to experiences on our trucks.

And secondly, you still won't acknowledge that different priorities in a hitch mean different "winners".

Users who are viewing this thread