5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about RV length...

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing I said here is wrong. A heavy duty truck WILL reduce/eliminate porpoising vs a ram 1500. That is a fact you won't accept.

Once you do accept that fact, you'll realize why his comparisons and reviews, while usefull, do not directly copy to experiences on our trucks.
"his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place"

^That was wrong. Ultimately, it's the only thing that matters because that's the point I made.
And secondly, you still won't acknowledge that different priorities in a hitch mean different "winners".
Correct. Just because someone who prioritizes cost and weight over anything else claims their Haul Master drop hitch is "the best" doesn't mean I'm going to acknowledge their opinion, especially when they don't have the experience to support it.

Edit:
I also want to point out that you keep making statements about what I "won't accept" related to points I haven't made about different trucks and different priorities.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place"

^That was wrong. Ultimately, it's the only thing that matters because that's the point I made.
It's actually correct. His truck will have far less porpoising vs mine. Therefore a hitch that excels the most in controlling porposing (andersen) won't be a priority for him as other hitches (equalizer, weigh safe) can also control it equally well (or well enough) on his truck. When you don't have any trouble with porpoising in your setup, you don't value or even notice that extra feature in a hitch that excels in controlling it.

Correct. Just because someone who prioritizes cost and weight over anything else claims their Haul Master drop hitch is "the best" doesn't mean I'm going to acknowledge their opinion, especially when they don't have the experience to support it.

I never made the claim that one hitch was "the best". What I've said that people have different priorities and "needs" from a hitch, making them choose a different option. "the best hitch" is a personal thing based on unique situations. There is no "best hitch" that everybody can possibly agree on.

Maybe try understand what I'm writing before disagreeing with it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's actually correct. His truck will have far less porpoising vs mine. Therefore a hitch that excels the most in controlling porposing (andersen) won't be a priority for him as other hitches (equalizer, weigh safe) can also control it equally well (or well enough) on his truck. When you don't have any trouble with porpoising in your setup, you don't value or even notice that extra feature in a hitch that excels in controlling it.
It isn't correct. His truck did "pick that up" because he called it out on three of the hitches he reviewed including his winner. It's a little hard to be dismissive of that when it's one of the "priorities" he took points away for.
I never made the claim that one hitch was "the best". What I've said that people have different priorities and "needs" from a hitch, making them choose a different option. "the best hitch" is a personal thing based on unique situations. There is no "best hitch" that everybody can possibly agree on.
OK..."winners" is what you said.

My point stands.
Maybe try understand what I'm writing before disagreeing with it.
This is a ridiculous thing for you to post, after you’ve repeatedly misrepresented what I've said here.

silver billet

Reaction score
It isn't correct. His truck did "pick that up" because he called it out on three of the hitches he reviewed including his winner. It's a little hard to be dismissive of that when it's one of the "priorities" he took points away for.

You will always notice some amount of porpoising. That's not the point. The point is when you have a real problem with it in your setup, and are struggling to deal with it and remove/reduce, it you place more priority on a hitch that does that better than others.

OK..."winners" is what you said.

My point stands.
I don't even think you know what your point is anymore.

Do you agree that different priorities mean people will choose different hitches and "winners" based on those priorities?

For somebody dealing with tons of sway, propride becomes high on their list.
For somebody dealing with tons of porpoising, andersen becomes high on their list.
For somebody who travels once a year for only 1 hour to and back on their vacation with a small trailer, low price is attractive.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You will always notice some amount of porpoising. That's not the point. The point is when you have a real problem with it in your setup, and are struggling to deal with it and remove/reduce, it you place more priority on a hitch that does that better than others.
That's great, but that's not what I called out because that's not what you said.
I don't even think you know what your point is anymore.
Just stop.
Do you agree that different priorities mean people will choose different hitches and "winners" based on those priorities?
Sure. I've said many times that the Andersen was a great hitch. I've also said that we upgraded for a reason.
For somebody dealing with tons of sway, propride becomes high on their list.
For somebody dealing with tons of porpoising, andersen becomes high on their list.
For somebody who travels once a year for only 1 hour to and back on their vacation with a small trailer, low price is attractive.
The dude didn't review the hitches to see which would be "good enough." That seems to be your disconnect.

silver billet

Reaction score
That's great, but that's not what I called out because that's not what you said.
I've said that right from the start. I've said you cannot use his tests as a direct comparison on our trucks, because his heavy duty truck will mask/reduce issues that crop up in ours (in my case that is porpoising).

Example:

Just stop.
Take your own advice.

Sure. I've said many times that the Andersen was a great hitch. I've also said that we upgraded for a reason.
What does your upgrading from the andersen have to do with any of this? You prefer the propride, it's a great hitch.

The dude didn't review the hitches to see which would be "good enough." That seems to be your disconnect.

Please read what I'm writing, not what you want me to have written so that you can attempt to save face in an argument that you have no idea anymore what you're arguing.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've said that right from the start. I've said you cannot use his tests as a direct comparison on our trucks, because his heavy duty truck will mask/reduce issues that crop up in ours (in my case that is porpoising).

Example:
I'll keep saying it.

Here's what you said:

You were wrong. Did you not watch the video?
Take your own advice.
I'm not running my mouth about how "you don't understand" or "you don't know what you're saying." It's juvenile.
What does your upgrading from the andersen have to do with any of this? You prefer the propride, it's a great hitch.
You're pretending that someone is just picking their personal "winner." I have the experience. That dude on YouTube had the experience. You don't.
Please read what I'm writing, not what you want me to have written so that you can attempt to save face in an argument that you have no idea anymore what you're arguing.
I've quoted you directly several times. You made that statement. I didn't pull it from nowhere.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'll keep saying it.

Here's what you said:

You were wrong. Did you not watch the video?

You're not reading what I wrote. You will always have some amount of porposing in every setup. What you won't always have, is a porposing PROBLEM. There is a difference between noticing porposing vs saying "this is really bad, I need to fix this". You're talking the former, I'm talking the latter. Note how my posts on this come way before yours in this thread, it's not my problem you misunderstood what I was writing.

I'm not running my mouth about how "you don't understand" or "you don't know what you're saying." It's juvenile.
Then why write it? Stick to the facts/arguments.

You're pretending that someone is just picking their personal "winner." I have the experience. That dude on YouTube had the experience. You don't.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. You think I'm not qualified to talk on this subject. That's what this is really all about for you isn't it?

I've quoted you directly several times. You made that statement. I didn't pull it from nowhere.

This is what you wrote: "The dude didn't review the hitches to see which would be "good enough." That seems to be your disconnect."

I never made the claim that he reviewed hitches to see which were good enough. That's not my disconnect, that's a strawman argument on your part.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're not reading what I wrote. You will always have some amount of porposing in every setup. What you won't always have, is a porposing PROBLEM. There is a difference between noticing porposing vs saying "this is really bad, I need to fix this". You're talking the former, I'm talking the latter. Note how my posts on this come way before yours in this thread, it's not my problem you misunderstood what I was writing.
Dude. What are you missing?

I directly quoted what you wrote.

Here it is...AGAIN:
Then why write it? Stick to the facts/arguments.
If you're going to run your mouth like that, im going to address it.
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. You think I'm not qualified to talk on this subject. That's what this is really all about for you isn't it?
I think you lack the relevant experience to make some of the assertions you've made, yes. It isn't about being "qualified to talk." I think you're mostly upset because I've pointed out that others who disagree with you have more relevant experience.
This is what you wrote: "The dude didn't review the hitches to see which would be "good enough." That seems to be your disconnect."

I never made the claim that he reviewed hitches to see which were good enough. That's not my disconnect, that's a strawman argument on your part.
Right. You've attempted, and failed, to frame this as him picking his personal "winner." To do that, you incorrectly claimed that he wouldn't notice porpoising with his truck. He did. You claimed that cost should also be factored in. It was.

Funny enough, he's not even towing with the hitch he said was the "winner." So much for that point...

silver billet

Reaction score
Dude. What are you missing?

I directly quoted what you wrote.

Here it is...AGAIN:

He doesn't have a porpoising PROBLEM. It's not something he's spending a lot of time evaluating.

If you're going to run your mouth like that, im going to address it.

Please do, I will wait with bated breath for your next post :rolleyes:

I think you lack the relevant experience to make some of the assertions you've made, yes. It isn't about being "qualified to talk." I think you're mostly upset because I've pointed out that others who disagree with you have more relevant experience.
Boom there it is. You like to think you're the big guy here with all the experience, you have it all figured out and anyone else's experiences just have no truth in them.

That's been your problem all along in this thread, your massive ego is in the way.

Right. You've attempted, and failed, to frame this as him picking his personal "winner." To do that, you incorrectly claimed that he wouldn't notice porpoising with his truck.

Again, "noticing porposing" needs to be read in the context of what I wrote on page 2. I literally used the words "suffering from porpoising". That was never an issue for him on his truck, therefore it's no surprise he didn't put much weight on that in his evaluations.

He did. You claimed that cost should also be factored in. It was.

Funny enough, he's not even towing with the hitch he said was the "winner." So much for that point...

He didn't pick a single winner. He picked 3 for different reasons, pretty much what I've been saying all along. You pick a hitch based on your priorites.

Here's a thought. Go back to the top of page 2, and read very carefully what I wrote. Maybe it will make more sense to you the second time around, but you'll need to check your ego at the door first.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He doesn't have a porpoising PROBLEM. It's not something he's spending a lot of time evaluating.
Yet, he felt it important enough to address it in half the hitches he reviewed.
Boom there it is. You like to think you're the big guy here with all the experience, you have it all figured out and anyone else's experiences just have no truth in them.

That's been your problem all along in this thread, your massive ego is in the way.
I've towed with the Andersen and the ProPride. So...yeah, I kind of do have that relevant experience. :LOL:
Again, "noticing porposing" needs to be read in the context of what I wrote on page 2. I literally used the words "suffering from porpoising". That was never an issue for him on his truck, therefore it's no surprise he didn't put much weight on that in his evaluations.
He. Deducted. Points. For. Porpoising.
He didn't pick a single winner. He picked 3 for different reasons, pretty much what I've been saying all along. You pick a hitch based on your priorites.
Weird that there was a #1 and "hands down the best hitch."
Here's a thought. Go back to the top of page 2, and read very carefully what I wrote. Maybe it will make more sense to you the second time around, but you'll need to check your ego at the door first.
Even better...you can just admit that you were incorrect before you backpedaled and clarified your point.

silver billet

Reaction score
Yet, he felt it important enough to address it in half the hitches he reviewed.
And yet he didn't have a porpoising PROBLEM that he was trying to fix, did he? Like I said I did back on page 2? Like I said was a major reason I picked Andersen?

I've towed with the Andersen and the ProPride. So...yeah, I kind of do have that relevant experience. :LOL:

You have the experience of what? What is the point you're trying to make here?

He. Deducted. Points. For. Porpoising.

Weird that there was a #1 and "hands down the best hitch."

Oops, looks like you need to continue watching there big guy:

Even better...you can just admit that you were incorrect before you backpedaled and clarified your point.

Clarifying is not back pedaling. I clarified because your ego would not let you read my posts correctly and you needed additional explanation.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And yet he didn't have a porpoising PROBLEM that he was trying to fix, did he? Like I said I did back on page 2? Like I said was a major reason I picked Andersen?
That's irrelevant. You tried to say he wouldn't notice it. He did.
You have the experience of what? What is the point you're trying to make here?
I have the relevant experience with the hitch you claim addresses a specific issue and the hitch the reviewer thinks is "the best money can buy."
Oops, looks like you need to continue watching there big guy:
So now you're trying to pivot...again. I've watched several of that guy's videos. The video that was linked in the thread lists ProPride at the top. He's said in several videos that the ProPride is the best you can get. He also doesn't tow with a ProPride. That doesn't really support your claim that he's just picking his "winner."
Clarifying is not back pedaling. I clarified because your ego would not let you read my posts correctly and you needed additional explanation.
Backpedaling is backpedaling. That's why you're no longer trying to roll with "his truck won't pick that up" or "he probably doesn't have porpoising in the first place."

silver billet

Reaction score
That's irrelevant. You tried to say he wouldn't notice it. He did.

Context my man, context. This is all after I wrote this, quote:
His truck has a much heavier suspension than our 1500 coil setup. Which means if you're suffering from porpoising (like I was) in my trailer, some hitches can remove that better than others, and his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place. His truck will also (naturally) handle sway better than ours. In other words, our trucks are more sensitive to issues and small differences in these hitches than his truck is.

He also doesn't seem to value the same things in a hitch that I do, which is totally fine, but that needs to be kept in mind. For example, the andersen is incredibly light and fast to use. Those "pros" don't seem to matter much to him, but they do to me.

Do you need additional clarification?

I have the relevant experience with the hitch you claim addresses a specific issue and the hitch the reviewer thinks is "the best money can buy."
Again you're not actually saying anything other than "I have experience". Congrats? Is that what you're looking for?

So now you're trying to pivot...again. I've watched several of that guy's videos. The video that was linked in the thread lists ProPride at the top. He's said in several videos that the ProPride is the best you can get. He also doesn't tow with a ProPride. That doesn't really support your claim that he's just picking his "winner."

And that quoted part is where he and I disagree. That's been my second point in all this. There is no "best you can get" hitch, because it's all about pros and cons and what you value in a hitch isn't necessarily what I need or value.

Backpedaling is backpedaling. That's why you're no longer trying to roll with "his truck won't pick that up" or "he probably doesn't have porpoising in the first place."

You're just being obtuse at this point dude.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Context my man, context. This is all after I wrote this, quote:
Do you need additional clarification?
It isn't a matter of context. Maybe you misspoke and didn't actually mean "his truck won't pick that up" or "he probably doesn't have porpoising in the first place." Heavy duty trucks aren't magic. He didn't miss that. He specifically addressed it and accounted for it.
Again you're not actually saying anything other than "I have experience". Congrats? Is that what you're looking for?
That won't fly. I also directed you to the 16 pages where I've documented my experience with the two hitches and with the Ram and a heavy duty truck.
And that quoted part is where he and I disagree. That's been my second point in all this. There is no "best you can get" hitch, because it's all about pros and cons and what you value in a hitch isn't necessarily what I need or value.
That's fine. I agree with him. You seem to take issue with that, which is what I suspect drove your earlier snark.
You're just being obtuse at this point dude.
I'm still hoping you can do something as simple as admitting you were incorrect.

silver billet

Reaction score
It isn't a matter of context. Maybe you misspoke and didn't actually mean "his truck won't pick that up" or "he probably doesn't have porpoising in the first place." Heavy duty trucks aren't magic. He didn't miss that. He specifically addressed it and accounted for it.
Oh it definitely is context. I wrote about having a porposing problem. Then I said "and his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place.". What do you think "that porpoising" refers to? Obviously the problem referenced immediately before. Could I have written "and his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising problem in the first place.", yes, if that's what you're stumbling over then just stop as I've attempted several times now to explain what my viewpoint actually is.

That won't fly. I also directed you to the 16 pages where I've documented my experience with the two hitches and with the Ram and a heavy duty truck.
And now I'm asking you to make your point: what does your experience with the two hitches and a heavy duty, have to do with me preferring the andersen as it fixes my porposing problem?

That's fine. I agree with him. You seem to take issue with that, which is what I suspect drove your earlier snark.
Well gee if it's fine then stop arguing against it. Evaluating pros and cons of several hitches, then picking what works best for you in your situation is a smarter thing to do then just blindly buying the most expensive product of the shelf.

I'm still hoping you can do something as simple as admitting you were incorrect.

Let me know when you've actually found something that's incorrect, vs you just misunderstanding what I wrote. As a helpful summary of my views:
- different hitches have different pros and cons, pick the hitch that best aligns with you and situation as there is no "this hitch is best for everybody".
- heavy duty trucks are far less susceptible to issues that can plague half tons, such as porposing and sway, and and naturally when you test 7 products on your heavy duty truck that won't necessarily translate or expose their strengths and weakness when running the same hitch/trailer on a half ton. A lot of heavy duty's can pull smaller rv's/trailers without a WDH in the first place, no porpoising, do you think a crappy WDH is going to show its problems when evaluated on that heavy duty? Course not, but put it on a half ton and suddenly its a different story, because you absolutely need that control now.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh it definitely is context. I wrote about having a porposing problem. Then I said "and his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place.".
Yep. And you were incorrect. He doesn't need to have a "problem" to identify the issue. That was the point you originally tried to make when you pushed back on the video that was posted. You also doubled down, so at this point you're just making excuses to avoid admitting you were incorrect.
And now I'm asking you to make your point: what does your experience with the two hitches and a heavy duty, have to do with me preferring the andersen as it fixes my porposing problem?
For one, I experienced porpoising in the Ram with the Andersen. I corrected it by modifying the truck and adjusting the hitch properly. I experienced porpoising in the Ram with the ProPride. I corrected it by adjusting the hitch properly.

I don’t care which hitch you prefer, so quit pretending that the conversation is about that.
Well gee if it's fine then stop arguing against it. Evaluating pros and cons of several hitches, then picking what works best for you in your situation is a smarter thing to do then just blindly buying the most expensive product of the shelf.
There it is. It's funny that people like you always say something like this without ever towing with "the most expensive."
Let me know when you've actually found something that's incorrect
I've done exactly that. Several times. I directly quoted it. I referenced his review where he directly contradicts your assertion.
As a helpful summary of my views:
At least we got you to stop pretending heavy duty trucks are magic. 🍻

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Just towed this beast from Shelbyville, KY to Santa Clause IN. There were some significant grades along the way.
RamCamperSmall-2903602.jpg

The truck is a 2020 5.7 with 3.21 gears. I've added a Hellwig sway bar on the highest setting, Timbren SES helper springs, Power Stop Pads and Rotors and Billstein shocks. Engine tuned with HP Tuners.

I have the Weigh Safe True Tow hitch and the camper is 28' (34' ball to bumber). The whole rig with family and gear weighed 14,500lbs at a cat scale. Truck towed it fine. Up some of the worst grades it shifted down to 4th gear a few times, running between 3,000 and 3,500 rpm. This only happened about 5 time total for the round trip.

I had a little porpoising on the way up because I guessed the trailer weight low. After weighing at the cat scale it seems the camper is somewhere around 9,500lbs. Made adjustments to the hitch and the porpoising was gone.

Got about 12mpg on the trip.

Yes, I know I was technically overweight...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread