5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about RV length...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Who is John Galt?

Sorry, I had to make the Atlas Shrugged connection--unless that's actually your name!

I've got an unused Anderson 3350 that I'll sell cheap, though it's heavy so shipping might be a little pricey. It was fine but I changed to a ProPride and don't need it anymore. Only caveat is that I cut a link out of the chains because the way I had it set up, it wouldn't tighten enough. Some of the Anderson users here might tell you not to get it for that reason and I won't argue. It was fine on my setup with the link cut out but it may or may not be for you.

I will say that it wasn't necessarily quiet, though I really only noticed the noise when backing it and turning at a campground and I hadn't loosened the chains before doing so.

The link out of the chain isn't a problem, unless the new user needs the extra length. I cut one out myself.

I don't know how you managed to get noise out of yours because mine literally does not make a noise. You shouldn't loosen the chains ever, because that means your trailer coupler can now turn on the ball of the hitch. The tight chains prevent the trailer coupler from turning, instead the ball inside the hitch turns (and it's a friction turn by design which is where the sway control comes in). Your trailer coupler should always be tight on the ball, and let the entire ball move inside the hitch.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The link out of the chain isn't a problem, unless the new user needs the extra length. I cut one out myself.

I don't know how you managed to get noise out of yours because mine literally does not make a noise. You shouldn't loosen the chains ever, because that means your trailer coupler can now turn on the ball of the hitch. The tight chains prevent the trailer coupler from turning, instead the ball inside the hitch turns (and it's a friction turn by design which is where the sway control comes in). Your trailer coupler should always be tight on the ball, and let the entire ball move inside the hitch.
The "needing extra length" was my concern for someone else. In hindsight, i think I could have just put the coupler on the next links of the chain and let the extra one hang down?

It was a creaking noise when backing around a turn, parking at campground. It may have been uneven terrain. It wasn't a big deal to me. The noise was only there for a few seconds. My friend who got there before me heard it, so it wasn't my imagination. The hitch worked well, though.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I switched to the Anderson last year and it's well worth the money. The only other hitch I'd consider upgrading to would be the ProPride but it's price tag is eye watering.

For the Anderson, in addition to being quiet, light, and easy to work with; it's also a really good fit with the Ram coil suspension because the Anderson uses chains (static force) and not trunion bars (dynamic/spring force). The Ram's coils are susceptible to bounce with the "wrong" load (IE my trailer) and adding trunion bars seems to amplify that as you now have 2 springy spots in the system. With the Anderson the Ram settled right down because the chains don't add a second spring force, and it now tows really well.

Could have been just me and my load/setup, many seem to like the husky and those types of hitches, I just couldn't make it comfortable in my setup.
His Limited will have air suspension.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
I think everything that has needed to be said, has been said at this point. I will throw in my 2¢ though ;)

I am pulling an Imagine 2400BH with mine (tip to toe is 28'11", dry weight is 5725, tongue weight is 505, loaded weight should be 7850). I have the 6'4" bed with a topper. 2" Mopar lift with the ORG w/a bigger, stronger tire. I bought mine with the 3.92 rear end too. I tow with an Equalizer and it pulls great with it. Have been looking at the Weigh Safe as an option though to be able to see what my tongue weight actually is.

Overall, it pulls pretty well here in CO. Def feel it though on some mt pulls LOL. I have just ordered a Diablo tune module to try and get a little more juice from the Hemi. Overall, the trailer is very manageable with this setup and has never felt out of control. My truck knows something is back there for sure but I do not drive puckered, I will put it that way ;)

Loudram

Reaction score
I think everything that has needed to be said, has been said at this point. I will throw in my 2¢ though ;)

I am pulling an Imagine 2400BH with mine (tip to toe is 28'11", dry weight is 5725, tongue weight is 505, loaded weight should be 7850). I have the 6'4" bed with a topper. 2" Mopar lift with the ORG w/a bigger, stronger tire. I bought mine with the 3.92 rear end too. I tow with an Equalizer and it pulls great with it. Have been looking at the Weigh Safe as an option though to be able to see what my tongue weight actually is.

Overall, it pulls pretty well here in CO. Def feel it though on some mt pulls LOL. I have just ordered a Diablo tune module to try and get a little more juice from the Hemi. Overall, the trailer is very manageable with this setup and has never felt out of control. My truck knows something is back there for sure but I do not drive puckered, I will put it that way ;)
I had two Equalizer hitches. A 6k/600 with my first trailer and a 10k/1000 which I used with my next three trailers. I'm now on my second season with the Weigh Safe and it's nice. Works as well if not better than the Equalizer because you know the weight distribution is dialed in.

You take a few measurements of your trailer and truck and plug them into the app along with your loaded trailer weight. Then you input your tongue weight (without bars on) each time you tow and it'll give you the weight distribution number you need to adjust the hitch to (with bars on). It's very precise. With the Equalizer your going by measurements. That's not as accurate as the scale and app. It's worth the upgrade. 20210624_111019_HDR_1.jpg 20210624_111010_HDR.jpg 20210624_103759_HDR.jpg

silver billet

Reaction score
I had two Equalizer hitches. A 6k/600 with my first trailer and a 10k/1000 which I used with my next three trailers. I'm now on my second season with the Weigh Safe and it's nice. Works as well if not better than the Equalizer because you know the weight distribution is dialed in.

You take a few measurements of your trailer and truck and plug them into the app along with your loaded trailer weight. Then you input your tongue weight (without bars on) each time you tow and it'll give you the weight distribution number you need to adjust the hitch to (with bars on). It's very precise. With the Equalizer your going by measurements. That's not as accurate as the scale and app. It's worth the upgrade. View attachment 159676 View attachment 159677 View attachment 159678

I've read good things about it, and it is tempting for sure. But a few factors keep me away; price, weight, and the fact that my cargo stays relatively the same from trip to trip. The anderson no sway I'm using now is just so light and easy to work with; no greasy/noisy bars, and the receiver/hitch is like 25 pounds.

That weigh safe looks like it's built like a tank lol. Bet it outlives me, but unfortunately that means it's a little more bulky to live with as well. Just have to pick what means more to each individual.

Loudram

Reaction score
I've read good things about it, and it is tempting for sure. But a few factors keep me away; price, weight, and the fact that my cargo stays relatively the same from trip to trip. The anderson no sway I'm using now is just so light and easy to work with; no greasy/noisy bars, and the receiver/hitch is like 25 pounds.

That weigh safe looks like it's built like a tank lol. Bet it outlives me, but unfortunately that means it's a little more bulky to live with as well. Just have to pick what means more to each individual.
It is pricey but when I bought it I went to their website and signed up for their newsletter. With that they offered 10% off your first order. That saved me about $90. If you decide to get it, check to see if they still offer the discount. And now they have a middle weight hitch that is a little more affordable. I think it would work better for us but I can't see buying another hitch at this point but it also may work better for you.

And yes it's built like a tank and it's as heavy as one.

Bobbybob

Reaction score

You take a few measurements of your trailer and truck and plug them into the app along with your loaded trailer weight. Then you input your tongue weight (without bars on) each time you tow and it'll give you the weight distribution number you need to adjust the hitch to (with bars on). It's very precise. With the Equalizer your going by measurements. That's not as accurate as the scale and app. It's worth the upgrade.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing, it's on the list for sure. Like the layout of that camper BTW. One day, when the kids are out, we will leave the bunkhouse model and move to something like that.

morrpar

Reaction score
Greetings!
I have some questions, as I am narrowing down my choice of WDH.
We will pick up our new 25' (30' 10" actual) trailer in a couple of weeks. The dry weight is 5103, GVWR is 7690 and the tongue weight is 690 (presumably empty).
The '22 RAM has the tow package and 3.92 gear.

I was looking at the Anderson hitch and was planning on purchasing one. I typically research thing ad-infinitum and came across a post from an owner that said he had learned that the Anderson hitch uses the chains to pull the trailer, not the ball.
Thinking through the design of the hitch, this may be true. I could see that tensioning the chains might pull the ball back against the latch of the hitch.
However, it may be that the hitch rotates on the mounting bolts and the ball rests in the front of the hitch per normal.

Can any users of this hitch comment on their experience?

I really like the Anderson hitch the best, but have concerns. Second in line is the eas-lift TR3.

The cost/benefit ratio is off (for me) on the pricier options.

Looking for savvy recommendations.

Thanks,

silver billet

Reaction score
Greetings!
We will pick up our new 25' (30' 10" actual) trailer in a couple of weeks. The dry weight is 5103, GVWR is 7690 and the tongue weight is 690 (presumably empty).

I was looking at the Anderson hitch and was planning on purchasing one. I typically research thing ad-infinitum and came across a post from an owner that said he had learned that the Anderson hitch uses the chains to pull the trailer, not the ball.
Thinking through the design of the hitch, this may be true. I could see that tensioning the chains might pull the ball back against the latch of the hitch.
However, it may be that the hitch rotates on the mounting bolts and the ball rests in the front of the hitch per normal.

I really like the Anderson hitch the best, but have concerns. Second in line is the eas-lift TR3.

Thanks,

That phrasing sounds off. The chains don't pull the trailer, there is still a ball on the receiver and the trailer coupler rests on the ball and is pulled by that.

The chains distribute weight, but yes they are yanked tight against the ball on the hitch coupler.

The trailer coupler does not turn on the ball. Instead, the whole ball mounted in the hitch, that ball turns inside the hitch, and there is tension inside that ball so that is what provides the anti sway. You're not supposed to grease the trailer coupler, as it's not supposed to move ever.

It's a great hitch. There are other better options depending on what you want to spend, but this is my second season towing with it. Not only does it work better than the trunion bar setups I've used in the past, it's also very light weight, no greasy bars, no clunking/creaking noise as it moves, and it's very fast to setup and tear down. It's a pleasure to work with and to use. The only hitch I'd consider getting now at this point as an upgrade, would be propride, but it's completely not necessary in my current setup.

Finally, it seems to work better in our rams with the soft coil suspension, because the chains provide a constant/permanent force. Trunion bars are just a very stiff spring, and in my usage it was like two suspensions playing off eachother and I couldn't get rid of my porpoising. Never had that back once now with the anderson.

My 2 cents.

Loudram

Reaction score
Greetings!

Thanks,
This is a video I always recommend watching. This is a head to head hitch test of the 6 most popular hitches out there. The guy used them all on his own trailer and it took about a year to test them all in real world use. This is his summary and where he picks a winner. He gives the pros and cons of each hitch. It's worth watching.

morrpar

Reaction score
@Silver Bullet: Thank you for the info, I am leaning toward the Anderson. I like it for the reasons that you mentioned.

I have about a week to make my final decision.

I have air suspension if that changes matters...

@Loudram, Thanks for that. I have watched that and a number of his other videos. He really digs into it.
It was actually one of his videos that turned me toward the eas-lift. He did not compare it at the same time as the others in the video that you mentioned, it came along later. He termed it: "Holy Grail" (for some).

I do not see me spending over $ 1k on a WDH. Once again cost/benefit. So the Anderson or the eas-lift will probably make the cut.

Thanks again!

silver billet

Reaction score
This is a video I always recommend watching. This is a head to head hitch test of the 6 most popular hitches out there. The guy used them all on his own trailer and it took about a year to test them all in real world use. This is his summary and where he picks a winner. He gives the pros and cons of each hitch. It's worth watching.

I've seen that "battle of the hitches" too, one "problem" is his truck is completely different than the Rams and so hist experience is not directly comparable. A heavy duty can really mask issues that crop up with lighter trucks.

John Galt

Reaction score
Remember also how much weight the hitch itself adds. You probably only have about +/-1300 pounds of payload so you don’t want to take up any more than you have to for the hitch. With 760 pound tongue weight you’re already flirting with the limit depending on how many people will be in the truck when you’re towing and how much they like to eat.

I’m in the same boat - looking at a 26’ trailer with gvwr of 7500 lbs.

Loudram

Reaction score
I've seen that "battle of the hitches" too, one "problem" is his truck is completely different than the Rams and so hist experience is not directly comparable. A heavy duty can really mask issues that crop up with lighter trucks.
I can say that by my own experience with his top two hitches, his truck didn't mask any issues with them. They tow as well as he says they tow, I can personally attest to that.

Loudram

Reaction score
Remember also how much weight the hitch itself adds. You probably only have about +/-1300 pounds of payload so you don’t want to take up any more than you have to for the hitch. With 760 pound tongue weight you’re already flirting with the limit depending on how many people will be in the truck when you’re towing and how much they like to eat.

I’m in the same boat - looking at a 26’ trailer with gvwr of 7500 lbs.
Exactly, to get my true payload I filled my tank and put the hitch in. Then I weighed it with me in it. I subtracted that weight from the gross and that's how I got my true payload rating.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not see me spending over $ 1k on a WDH. Once again cost/benefit.
Sounds more like you've set a hard budget.

I towed a 7500 lb trailer with my Ram with both the Andersen and the ProPride. There's no comparison when you're towing at the truck's limits. Cost/benefit still goes to the ProPride.

silver billet

Reaction score
I can say that by my own experience with his top two hitches, his truck didn't mask any issues with them. They tow as well as he says they tow, I can personally attest to that.

His truck has a much heavier suspension than our 1500 coil setup. Which means if you're suffering from porpoising (like I was) in my trailer, some hitches can remove that better than others, and his truck won't pick that up because he probably doesn't have that porpoising in the first place. His truck will also (naturally) handle sway better than ours. In other words, our trucks are more sensitive to issues and small differences in these hitches than his truck is.

He also doesn't seem to value the same things in a hitch that I do, which is totally fine, but that needs to be kept in mind. For example, the andersen is incredibly light and fast to use. Those "pros" don't seem to matter much to him, but they do to me.

Users who are viewing this thread