5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about frame damage and insurance

187penguin

Reaction score
So I got rear ended. Their insurance (GIECO) assumed full liability and my truck is at the shop. It’s a ‘21 1500 Big Horn 3.6L Etorque 4x4 that just hit 55k miles.

I’ve been driving for over 20 years and this is my first accident. I’m dealing with the insurance company and it’s uncharted territory for me. A friend told me they need to compensate me for diminished value since the frame was damaged and the truck was in fantastic condition until now w/ a spotless vin. I will say I take a lot of pride in it, and it really was in great condition.

I was rear ended by a Wrangler with a winch bumper that went just under the tailgate and punched into the tow hitch. The hitch snapped in half and crumpled the frame where it attaches. Since I use this truck to tow my camper, I’m pretty concerned with the frame being properly repaired. The estimate for the repair is ~$5k.

I’m curious if anyone knows how Diminished Value claims work and if it’s even worth the fight with the adjuster. Is it even anything I should realistically expect? When I try to research diminished value, it seems like 90% of the information out there is just ads by shady DV estimate companies.

Attachments

• IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 79

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Insurance companies 99.9999999% of them time will not do anything for "diminished value".
It needs to be restored to pre-damaged condition.

If there is frame damage that typically means the vehicle gets totaled became of the price of a new frame. I do not know what it takes to replace\repair a frame.

They need to give you the EXACT work that will be done, it it typically a couple of pages and each part has and the labor assigned.
There are also "adjustments" like if it doesn't say frame damage and the shop goes to work on it and finds out it needs extra parts and it gets "adjusted" with the insurance company.

You can bring it to any shop you want and get your own estimate for free also. Just tell them you are going through the other persons insurance and liability was already confirmed so they know you aren't going to be wasting them time with a non-approved estimate and go from there imo.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would get a second opinion on the damage of the truck. Frame damage is nothing to take lightly. As you said, you tow regularly with it and that would be enough to compromise my peace of mind, and probably a few good legit auto body’s too. I can’t help you with DV and such, but I would further stress to get multiple opinions.

187penguin

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I will say that I took it to a very reputable and highly recommended local shop that has been here for decades. They aren’t just a body shop, they also are an ASE certified mechanic shop and frame repair is one of thier specialties. They pulled the bumper off and put it up on a frame machine to pull measurements before they would even give a ball park estimate, so I’m pretty confident it can be repaired and won’t be totaled.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
You can bring it to any shop you want and get your own estimate for free also. Just tell them you are going through the other persons insurance and liability was already confirmed so they know you aren't going to be wasting them time with a non-approved estimate and go from there imo.
how do you know the state they live in permits this?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That mean's it's as good as you are going to get then.
You aren't going to get any money in addition to the repair which means the truck is "fixed"

It would only generally be totaled if the cost of the frame repair out weights the value of the vehicle.

You are allowed to use any repair shop you want for insurance repairs in any state in all of America

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
In Alabama, the vehicle owner shall not be required by an insurer to travel an unreasonable distance to obtain an estimate, have the vehicle repaired at a specific repair shop or inspect a replacement vehicle

In Alaska, the vehicle owner shall not be required by an insurer to travel unreasonably to obtain a repair estimate, have the vehicle repaired at a specific facility or inspect a replacement vehicle.

In Arizona, the vehicle owner has the right to choose any repair facility for the repair of that vehicle.

In Arkansas, the vehicle owner has the right to choose any repair facility for the repair of that vehicle.

In California, the vehicle owner has the right to choose any repair facility for the repair of that vehicle. Insurers are prohibited from suggesting or recommending a facility unless the vehicle owner has been informed in writing of his right to choose or has requested a referral.

In Colorado, the vehicle owner has the right to choose any repair facility for the appraisal or repair of that vehicle. Insurers are prohibited from engaging in acts of intimidation, coercion, threat or inducement to affect the vehicle owner’s choice or repair shop. Insurers may provide a list of nearby repair shops that meet or exceed industry standards of quality, service or safety

In Connecticut, the vehicle owner has the right to choose any repair facility for the repair of that vehicle.

I could keep going but there really is no need.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on your state and the insurance company. Illinois is a state that allows diminished value claims, but it is entirely your responsibility to prove the fully repaired vehicle is worth less that it was before the accident.

Ready Go

Reaction score
My (7 DAY OLD) 2023 Laramie G/T was rear-ended in July, the frame was bend Left-side down and out. Also, the rear horns of frame and bumper were rolled downwards somewhat.

A brand new frame was estimated at $16,000 and a new box to go with it was also $16,000...$32,000 there alone, plus $21,000 for peripheral parts and labor..$53,000 total repair bill, so totalled the $80,000 truck!

Truck didn't look too bad, but getting a correct frame was a near impossible task to start with, so again totalling became the best way to go.

This is why we now have a 2024 Laramie G/T..and decided to change from Black to Grey.

Attachments

• 20230721_130453.jpg
    20230721_130453.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230721_130424.jpg
    20230721_130424.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 63

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My (7 DAY OLD) 2023 Laramie G/T was rear-ended in July, the frame was bend Left-side down and out. Also, the rear horns of frame and bumper were rolled downwards somewhat.

A brand new frame was estimated at $16,000 and a new box to go with it was also $16,000...$32,000 there alone, plus $21,000 for peripheral parts and labor..$53,000 total repair bill, so totalled the $80,000 truck!

Truck didn't look too bad, but getting a correct frame was a near impossible task to start with, so again totalling became the best way to go.

This is why we now have a 2024 Laramie G/T..and decided to change from Black to Grey.
When I smashed my 2020, as soon as I told the insurance man that 3 airbags went off, he told me it's totaled. He said average cost per airbag deployment, is $10,000. Then add the body damage.

Ready Go

Reaction score
When I smashed my 2020, as soon as I told the insurance man that 3 airbags went off, he told me it's totaled. He said average cost per airbag deployment, is $10,000. Then add the body damage.
Because mine was hit from the rear, no airbags went off, so I was very concerned that the insurance company was going to repair not total! The dealership body shop really helped get that done for me (after 6 long days!).

llando88

Reaction score
I'm in FL. In May, I was rear-ended by an inattentive driver. LEO wrote her at 100% liable, so her insurance company fixed my truck (approx $2.5K damage).

They also covered diminution of value. The company used a service. A guy came to my house, and did his own damage assessment, separate from the repair estimate. Then he sent his report to the company, they contacted me and wrote me a check for the loss. This was in addition to getting my truck repaired. It was pretty cut and dried.

My insurance company (Progressive) told me if I had gone through them, and not the other driver's, they would charge me my deductible, and I would not be able to claim DOV, so it was a no-brainer decision.

Proof of my rotten luck, I was rear ended AGAIN two weeks ago, who did a hit and run. This time the driver hit me much faster, and not only is my bumper toast, but the receiver is bent and twisted, and I'm a little concerned about the frame mounting points. I tow a camper as well.

We are just starting out on this claim, and am currently working with the other insurance carrier on this one also, so I don't know if they are going to cover DOV yet.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My insurance company (Progressive) told me if I had gone through them, and not the other driver's, they would charge me my deductible, and I would not be able to claim DOV, so it was a no-brainer decision.

They would of gotten your deductible back for you, as I've done this before because I wasn't playing games with other insurance company. The insurance have lawyers for that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They would of gotten your deductible back for you, as I've done this before because I wasn't playing games with other insurance company. The insurance have lawyers for that.
Maybe not with Progressive, I dumped them because they were trying to scam me on an accident on my car without me even in it.
I had a recent accident which wasn't my fault and the other driver claimed they were in no accident with hi insurance, not in the area etc even though I provided photos showing them hitting me.
I ended up going through my insurance and once they saw the pictures and saw the statement from the other company they waved my deductible and went after the other company as they said it was clear and easy to pursue.

llando88

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't explain this correctly.

Progressive didn't need to get my deductible back because we filed through the other driver's (at fault) insurance company. I got my truck fixed at no cost to me.

For my most recent rear-end, the one where the guy did a hit and run, Progressive told me if I filed through them, I would have to pay my deductible. Which is why I decided to contact State Farm, the insurance company of the other (presumably at fault, if the cops ever catch this guy; I mean I gave them the license number and a picture of him) to file my claim. Of course so far I've not gotten very far with State Farm; they apparently haven't been contacted by this guy relative to this accident, and I have to wait until they do their process to move forward with my claim (SF agent I talked to said end of this week).

If State Farm doesn't step up, I have the option to go back to Progressive, and I guess I could ask if they would pick up my deductible from State Farm. In that event, I would not be able to claim DOV, according to the Progressive Agent we talked to the other night.

I relooked at the OP's pictures, funny my receiver damage looks similar.

IMG_3503.JPG

Here's what it looks like from the back.

Screenshot from 2023-12-11 15-47-00.png

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't explain this correctly.

Progressive didn't need to get my deductible back because we filed through the other driver's (at fault) insurance company. I got my truck fixed at no cost to me.

For my most recent rear-end, the one where the guy did a hit and run, Progressive told me if I filed through them, I would have to pay my deductible. Which is why I decided to contact State Farm, the insurance company of the other (presumably at fault, if the cops ever catch this guy; I mean I gave them the license number and a picture of him) to file my claim. Of course so far I've not gotten very far with State Farm; they apparently haven't been contacted by this guy relative to this accident, and I have to wait until they do their process to move forward with my claim (SF agent I talked to said end of this week).

If State Farm doesn't step up, I have the option to go back to Progressive, and I guess I could ask if they would pick up my deductible from State Farm. In that event, I would not be able to claim DOV, according to the Progressive Agent we talked to the other night.

I relooked at the OP's pictures, funny my receiver damage looks similar.

View attachment 172571

Here's what it looks like from the back.

View attachment 172572
State Farm(if that's the other guys insurance company) would need a police report citing the other driver as sr fault in order to process your claim in his insurance, or him opening a claim to fix his vehicle. Not sure how you got his insurance information if it was a hit and run, but good on you.

As far as Progressive, that's usually how it works you pay your deductible up front to get repairs done, then they go after other insurance company. Once they settle, they should give you your deductible back. But once again, would need the police report proving fault in order to go after the other insurance company

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
State Farm(if that's the other guys insurance company) would need a police report citing the other driver as sr fault in order to process your claim in his insurance, or him opening a claim to fix his vehicle. Not sure how you got his insurance information if it was a hit and run, but good on you.
The police will not file reports for hit and runs, at least when it happened to me in Prov RI.
Even if they did the police does not determine fault.

Insurance companies can get insurance information's with just a license plate.
I used my insurance (Arbella) for a "hit and run" where the driver refused to pull over and they were able to not only tell me what insurance company he had, but also what his exactly policy number is. I then reached out to the other company directly as my company said if the damage was less then my deductible they wouldn't go after the other company on my behalf since it was a hit and run, but the other company quoted it being above my deductible so I went back around after getting thrown around nowhere for a month and my company went to town and paid for the repairs without requiring my deductible and not putting an at fault and they went after the other insurance company without needing me as I provided pictures of the accident in progress.

llando88

Reaction score

As far as Progressive, that's usually how it works you pay your deductible up front to get repairs done, then they go after other insurance company. Once they settle, they should give you your deductible back. But once again, would need the police report proving fault in order to go after the other insurance company
I talked to State Farm last week. The Agent indicated they would continue to try and get in touch with this guy and if they didn't, would go ahead and process my claim as according to the agent, was pretty clear who was at fault.

His insurance information was on the printed "Exchange of Information" form the LEO gave me at the accident scene. The system the officer had in the squad car was able to extract all his details, including his license photo, which I identified, from the state database on the spot, based on the other driver's licence number, which I had photos of.

I went to my local police station and got a printout of the information they had on file, and have provided this to Progressive as well as State Farm. This doesn't include "fault", just a call log of the actions that took place, including their response to the scene, as well as a log of the follow up visit to his address.

Obviously I'm in the middle of this, but I'm optimistic SF will cover my truck based on what they verbally said, at least. If not, I am going back to Progressive; and would rely on them making me whole. The only downside to that was Progressive said they would not cover DOV, which would not be good, but it is what it is.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Insurance regulations vary by state. When my 2020 was totaled, Progressive paid out $9,000 over the payout on a leased vehicle. The bad part, was I leased through Ally, and the said since they owned the truck, they kept that $9,000. I will never lease from them, and advise everybody to avoid them. Michigan is a no fault state, so you have to pay your deductible for any accident.

Users who are viewing this thread