5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality of aftermarket running boards VS Mopar

Zacritz929

Reaction score
When I got my ram in 2019 I bought cheap eBay running boards that are pretty rusty already(salty winters here in NW Ohio).

I'm not sure if I want to go with Mopar or an aftermarket brand such as rough country. Can anyone chime in with what they'd recommend would stay in better condition for longer?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tons of choices and reviews on Running Board Warehouse …. In most cases you get what you pay for …. In the case of my 2012, I ponied up for what I thought was a good set of powdercoated N-Fabs …. NE Ohio winters are those things for breakfast in 3 years …. Sure, N-Fab will warranty them, but you have to pay to send em back …. And why, to go thru the same sh!t 3 years later …. I replaced em with Mopar factory steps …. 5 winters later, no rust at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zacritz929

Reaction score
Tons of choices and reviews on Running Board Warehouse …. In most cases you get what you pay for …. In the case of my 2012, I ponied up for what I thought was a good set of powdercoated N-Fabs …. NE Ohio winters are those things for breakfast in 3 years …. Sure, N-Fab will warranty them, but you have to pay to send em back …. And why, to go thru the same sh!t 3 years later …. I replaced em with Mopar factory steps …. 5 winters later, no rust at all

Ok, that is exactly what I'm curious about. I'm leaning towards Mopar.

397STROKER

Reaction score
As said, you get what you pay for. Most brands have lower end boards and bars and then there are the higher priced ones. I think the main difference is the coating and that the higher end ones are Stainless steel under that coating.

JP_Night18

Reaction score
Just to throw my 2 cents here, I have the mopar matte black steps..4 years later and these have 0 rust anywhere on them. Look completely new to this day. On side note, my dad has a 2017 ram and bought one of those $200 chrome steps. His rusted a year later, especially on the mount area underneath the car. So really, if you can't afford the mopar oem, give it some time and keep saving up. I think its def. worth it in the long run.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Mopar stainless, still look new after two years

Zacritz929

Reaction score
Just to throw my 2 cents here, I have the mopar matte black steps..4 years later and these have 0 rust anywhere on them. Look completely new to this day. On side note, my dad has a 2017 ram and bought one of those $200 chrome steps. His rusted a year later, especially on the mount area underneath the car. So really, if you can't afford the mopar oem, give it some time and keep saving up. I think its def. worth it in the long run.
If I go Mopar the matte black is what I'm looking to get. Thanks for the input

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally do not, I just like the design and am torn between the two choices I posted. The price point is the main reason. If I change what I have now (standard RAM factory steps), and go with static, that is what I would buy. I like that there isn't any gap between the step and the body, and the overall looks. They are steel construction with powder coat, so should be pretty rugged. The factory RAM steps I have are nice and I do like them, however, I like the RC's better, and the price is pretty attractive in comparison to the Retract, although I like the Retract the best and the way they look when stowed. I know at least of at least 1 person on here that has them on his truck.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah my n fabs had ugly surface rust after just a few months. Wouldn’t buy again

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I have a set of Romik boards and so far they look as good as the day they were installed. Only 6 months in, but so far so good.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, the Mopar ones are made by someone else and just sold under the Mopar name. Not sure what company makes them, but chances are you could buy the brand the company sells cheaper than the Mopar ones and get exact same running board/steps

Chris3058

Reaction score
NFabs I like....have held up for a couple years already but I am getting them LineX'd in the spring to make sure they last.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned many different brands of aftermarket steps, as well as three sets of Mopar steps. None of the aftermarket steps made it through the first winter without showing at least some surface rust. This was a mix of chrome plated and black painted steel steps. All the Mopar steps I've owned (one fixed and two powered) lasted the entire time I owned those trucks, without showing any surface rust. That probably has more to do with what they're made of, but from my experience I will always go with OEM steps from now on.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Have a set of GoRhino Dominator D6 matte steps and 2 PA winters in, no issues at all.

I will say I spray some matte protectant on them every wash and fluid film the bolts holding them on. That helps keep the rust at bay.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I bought the Go Rhino RB20 running boards. There are 2 coating to choose from, standard black matte powder coat then there's the bed liner option which I got. Very durable heavy duty bed liner material. Not as hard as linex but not quite as soft as a rhino liner material. Kinda in between. They are a little spendy but they are heavy and well made. 3 years and 0 issues. They are a Raptor style board.

Users who are viewing this thread