5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PUTCO 60” rear light bar PICTURES

RickWaz

Reaction score
Rick, does the light bar illuminate with the brakes?

With a Putco Blade and the RAM LED taillights you either get:
1) no turn delay and no Putco brake light
or
2) the turn delay and Putco brake light

Just wondering. Nice truck BTW!
Hi V8Spock,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I had part 2 of the Shingrix Vaccination THR, and I've spent the last couple of days in a fetal position enjoying the vaccine's side effects.

Upon further review, the blades brake light feature does NOT work! I've reached out to the installer who said the Ram threw out an error code when adding the brake wire, so he had to wire it differently to avoid the error.

So it's odd that the 2 installation options result in less than perfect functionality. THANKS for the heads up!

V8Spock

Reaction score
So it's odd that the 2 installation options result in less than perfect functionality. THANKS for the heads up!

The Blade has only 1 input wire per side for brake/turn. If you wire the light bar directly to the truck turn signals, you remove the brake signal from the circuit. The Blade turn signal is now in sync with the truck turn signal but, you’ve disconnected the Blade brake function.

If you wire it up per the instructions, the truck turn signal and the trailer turn signal (used by the Blade) are on separate circuits. The two circuits flash at different rates causing the delay. The Blade brake circuit remains connected and functional.

BTW, I’m due for part 2 of that shot next month. Dreading it BIG time…

RickWaz

Reaction score
THANKS again for those details. In my haste to order a taillight bar, I completely missed the issue of no brake light feature if it's wired for "synced blinker lights." And despite the existing wiring/design "flaw" I'm happy w/ the install and the features that do work well. So hopefully Putco or somebody else develops a clever workaround. And good luck w/ Part II! Our side effects were not as bad as Part I. BUT we pounded Advil/Aleve before the 2nd vaccination. So that might have helped lessen the pain-n-agony???

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
THANKS again for those details. In my haste to order a taillight bar, I completely missed the issue of no brake light feature if it's wired for "synced blinker lights." And despite the existing wiring/design "flaw" I'm happy w/ the install and the features that do work well. So hopefully Putco or somebody else develops a clever workaround.
I've noticed that Putco makes a direct-fit kit for both Ford and Chevy trucks. Maybe if we all reach out to them and point out that Ram is now outselling Chevy quarter over quarter, they'll do the same for us ;) I really do think the Blade is the best-looking option.

RickWaz

Reaction score
I've noticed that Putco makes a direct-fit kit for both Ford and Chevy trucks. Maybe if we all reach out to them and point out that Ram is now outselling Chevy quarter over quarter, they'll do the same for us ;) I really do think the Blade is the best-looking option.

You're on to something, SpeedyV and I agree about how great these taillight bars look, the light output and how they function. Even if they do not exactly function as they should. Below is a response from Putco today after I asked them about the (2) less than optimal install options for 2019/2020 Ram's.

"Thank you for contacting us. The installer is correct the electrical system on the RAMs is out of sync, regardless of the light bar or trailer connected, the turn signals are slightly different.
We currently do not offer a harness that would allow the installation to the taillamps. But if there is enough demand we may introduce one in the futur
e."

So there may be hope for us "second-class" ;) Ram owners!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're on to something, SpeedyV and I agree about how great these taillight bars look, the light output and how they function. Even if they do not exactly function as they should. Below is a response from Putco today after I asked them about the (2) less than optimal install options for 2019/2020 Ram's.

"Thank you for contacting us. The installer is correct the electrical system on the RAMs is out of sync, regardless of the light bar or trailer connected, the turn signals are slightly different.
We currently do not offer a harness that would allow the installation to the taillamps. But if there is enough demand we may introduce one in the futur
e."

Will you share out that contact info (or best way you’ve found to reach them)?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

e."

Just created an account and posted in the Putco forums:

RickWaz

Reaction score
Hi SpeedyV.

GREAT idea on posting to the Putco forum! I just tried to post/reply to your's as well, but the website puked. :mad: So I'll try again later. Below is the entire response I rec'ed from Putco, after I contacted them via their online contact form: Contact Putco: https://www.putco.com/contact/index/

Subject: Re: Contact Form

Hello Rick,

Thank you for contacting us, the installer is correct the electrical system on the RAMs is out of sync, regardless of the light bar or trailer connected the turn signals are slightly different.
we currently do not offer a harness that would allow the installation to the taillamps. But if there is enough demand we may introduce one in the future.

Thank you.
Alfonso S. - Ext 357
PUTCO, INC.
5701 NE 22nd St Des Moines, IA 50313
Ph. 800-247-3974 / Fax.800-847-7324
NEW - Need support from our passionate community? visit https://www.putco.com/forum/ and check them out!
NOTICE - CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the addressee named above. If you received this message in error, please delete the email; any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

LI_RebelKev

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 18inch pair lights I was looking to get the 60 inch and my dealer said it doesn't fit so i got the 2 18s installing tomorrow

RickWaz

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 18inch pair lights I was looking to get the 60 inch and my dealer said it doesn't fit so i got the 2 18s installing tomorrow
The 60" can/will fit, simply using (plastic, rubber or washer) spacers to get the brackets over the humps.

@Scott_65 posted this of his dual 18" install: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tailgate-light-bar.3298/page-15 The Tailgate Light Bar forum starts here and has many tips/pix of installations using spacers: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tailgate-light-bar.3298/ I used rubber spacers w/ no issues and prefer the 60". But the dual 18" look fine as well. Good luck!

Spacers used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C3H1G3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rubber_Spacers.GIF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread