5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put tires on. Dislike. What's the protocol?

Apexcars

Reaction score
Curious to hear the outcome. I've never returned tires but Discount Tires does have signs up all over the store that you can test drive the tires and bring them back. They also run the commercial with the old lady throwing the tire through the window.

Steelchamps

Reaction score
OP here. First off I admitted my stupidity.
Pictures look different than real life. I simply felt they were more stuffed than I wanted without spacers in the ***. Whatever.

Told the shop I'd pay out labor +100. Gave him my original bridgstones. Deal.

I'll post the 285 60 20 pics this weekend.

Y'all spend tons of cash on mods to be happy w your trucks, right? Well me too. I made a miscalculation and now I'm going to get where I'm happy.

I'm exited to drop it off tomorrow.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I di
Thats why I buy from Discount Tire, I (previous car) drove on a set for about 30 miles, took them back, full refund (towards exchange). It’s a customer service thing, they stand behind their products. If you are up in the NW I believe that Les Schwb will do the same thing.
I did this also a few years back with Discount Tire. Went with Nitto Terra Grapplers and decided I didn’t like them after just under 50 miles. Told them I wanted to switch to Ridge Grapplers and they said no problem! They are the best tire place I have ever dealt with!

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I di

I did this also a few years back with Discount Tire. Went with Nitto Terra Grapplers and decided I didn’t like them after just under 50 miles. Told them I wanted to switch to Ridge Grapplers and they said no problem! They are the best tire place I have ever dealt with!
I am a big fan of Discount Tire.
They had the best price for trailer tires I put on over the weekend. Excellent business model, they sell tires, that’s all.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
OP here. First off I admitted my stupidity.
Pictures look different than real life. I simply felt they were more stuffed than I wanted without spacers in the ***. Whatever.

Told the shop I'd pay out labor +100. Gave him my original bridgstones. Deal.

I'll post the 285 60 20 pics this weekend.

Y'all spend tons of cash on mods to be happy w your trucks, right? Well me too. I made a miscalculation and now I'm going to get where I'm happy.

I'm exited to drop it off tomorrow.
Glad you got it worked out. Post pics when done ;)

LM42

Reaction score
If you paid with Amex they have buyer protection. Call them and tell them they won't allow you to return. I did it with my sons iPhone. Bought it moved into new house with no reception at all AT&t. Had to switch and went to verizon. They refunded me and didn't ask for the phone back. Gave it to my brother.
This is terrible advice. Your phone didn't work. This gentelmens tires do, he just doesn't like them. And this isn't a shirt he bought. Most tire stores do not sell used tires, and take offs from his truck could not be resold as new. That kind of thing could lead to a lawsuit. It would be super awesome of them to swap for him, but forcing that store to return his money is a real bad karma thing to do.

Steelchamps

Reaction score
This is terrible advice. Your phone didn't work. This gentelmens tires do, he just doesn't like them. And this isn't a shirt he bought. Most tire stores do not sell used tires, and take offs from his truck could not be resold as new. That kind of thing could lead to a lawsuit. It would be super awesome of them to swap for him, but forcing that store to return his money is a real bad karma thing to do.
I have no plan to heed this advice nor did I ever expect my money back. Just to be clear.

Dropped off truck today. All good. I'm paying for my misjudgement and pickiness. This is America and I'm free to suffer the consequences of my decisions. Was never trying to scam, simply find a solution which I have.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Disount Tire / American Tire is the best in the business, just professional shops that do customer service right. I made the mistake of going with Evans for a set of tires once, completely different experience, at least this particular store was very unprofessional, front desk guys making customers wait while they are on a personal call, long installation times, etc.

Discount will match any price as well, they sometimes will even negotiate on price in person.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats why I buy from Discount Tire, I (previous car) drove on a set for about 30 miles, took them back, full refund (towards exchange). It’s a customer service thing, they stand behind their products. If you are up in the NW I believe that Les Schwb will do the same thing.
I agree about Discount Tires. I’ve bought several sets thru the years from the Discount Tire close to my house.

When I went in to get 285/60/20 Ridge Grapplers for my new Ram, I had about 500 miles on the stock tires. I asked if they could give me an allowance for the “used” stock tires, as I didn’t want to bother selling them myself. They gave me a $75.00 per tire discount or $300.00 off. Probably not what they were worth, but it reduced my out the door price for the new tires and saved me the hassle of selling the stock tires myself.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Just to be clear. Crystal clear. My suggestion is to use a service that is meant to protect a member of a Financial institution that provides that specific benefit. For protection. I never wrote to put the the tire store on the hook or steal something. If you have an Amex card the benefit is provided by American Express Assurance Company. It is INSURANCE to be used for that exact purpose, it is a claim that must be approved by an adjuster based on the facts of the incident. In this case if a honest mistake was made and the item could not be returned the card holder has protection. Again it is INSURANCE, that is paid for by the cardholder as part of the fee you pay for the privilege (ha) of carrying an Amex Card. IF in fact an Amex card was used for the purchase.
A terrible choice would be not using the services and rights you pay for the privilege of using that card.
For "ME" that is the reason I use it exclusively, as protection.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to be clear. Crystal clear. My suggestion is to use a service that is meant to protect a member of a Financial institution that provides that specific benefit. For protection. I never wore to put the the tire store on the hook or steal something. If you have an Amex card the benefit is provided by American Express assuring Company. It is INSURANCE to be used for that exact purpose, it is a claim that must be approved by an adjuster how eight the facts of the incident. In this case if a hones mistake was made and the item could not be returned the card holder has protection. Again it is INSURANCE, that is paid for by the cardholder as part of the fee you pay for the privilege (ha) of carrying an Amex Card. IF in fact an Amex card was used for the purchase.
A terrible choice would be not using the services and rights you pay for the privilege of using that card.

I’ve never used this, but I also have it on my Amex, and the above is correct. It’s a ‘perk’ of the card.

LM42

Reaction score
I have no plan to heed this advice nor did I ever expect my money back. Just to be clear.

Dropped off truck today. All good. I'm paying for my misjudgement and pickiness. This is America and I'm free to suffer the consequences of my decisions. Was never trying to scam, simply find a solution which I have.
I never thought you were trying to scam, just to be clear. Hopefully they gave you some kind of concession anyway. Most important is that you end up with what you want. I paid double for exhaust on my Z06, because I was a donkey and had it done the first time in a way recommended off the net and it turned out terrible. LOL. I feel your pain

LM42

Reaction score
Just to be clear. Crystal clear. My suggestion is to use a service that is meant to protect a member of a Financial institution that provides that specific benefit. For protection. I never wrote to put the the tire store on the hook or steal something. If you have an Amex card the benefit is provided by American Express Assurance Company. It is INSURANCE to be used for that exact purpose, it is a claim that must be approved by an adjuster based on the facts of the incident. In this case if a honest mistake was made and the item could not be returned the card holder has protection. Again it is INSURANCE, that is paid for by the cardholder as part of the fee you pay for the privilege (ha) of carrying an Amex Card. IF in fact an Amex card was used for the purchase.
Ahh ok. I understand the clarification. My concern was that AMEX would just take that money back from the installer. But if that is not the case, then I understand totally

Users who are viewing this thread