5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put tires on. Dislike. What's the protocol?

Steelchamps

Reaction score
I have thread up. Have a terrible feeling in my gut cuz it sucks.
I have less than 50 miles on them. I just want to swap to a 295 60 20 in same brand.
Am I screwed?

Thanks.

Boston

Reaction score
Go back to the shop. Only way you’ll find out

Steelchamps

Reaction score
Sheeesh.

How much does it cost for them ya think?

Say they tell me to pound salt, what other options do you suggest?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Honestly odds are they aren’t going to do anything but sell you new ones. You can take them off and try and sell them to recoup some of your money privately.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most reputable tire shops will swap out the tires with out penalty. They want you to be pleased with your purchase.

speak to the manager of the tire store and explain your issue.

Steelchamps

Reaction score
Honestly odds are they aren’t going to do anything but sell you new ones. You can take them off and try and sell them to recoup some of your money privately.
Man .
Anyone want some fresh 285 65 20 Ridge grapplers!? Lol.

Well. I'm screwed. Figured a return with under 50 miles would be ok. Sucks.

Steelchamps

Reaction score
Most reputable tire shops will swap out the tires with out penalty. They want you to be pleased with your purchase.

speak to the manager of the tire store and explain your issue.
This brings me hope!
I'd even let him keep the deullers if I just got the right size I want. The difference in tire sizes REALLY is noticable.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have thread up. Have a terrible feeling in my gut cuz it sucks.
I have less than 50 miles on them. I just want to swap to a 295 60 20 in same brand.
Am I screwed?

Thanks.
I was able to do this type of exchange...once. I had larger rear tires put on a car 'back in the day', and the shop told me they wouldn't rub. They did. 25 miles later, I had new tires (one size smaller). But in that instance, they were at least partly at fault.

Steelchamps

Reaction score
I'm going to head in tomorrow. I'd just like a DIFFERENT size and will offer to pay shipping and labor. Have under 40 miles. Truck sitting in the driveway all weekend.

Worst case, I order new ones, have these ones removed and sell.....wherever one sells huge *** tires.

Lesson learned. I'm an idiot. Thanks for the replies.
(Shoulda just upgraded speakers and exhaust lol)

Truckguy

Reaction score
I'm going to head in tomorrow. I'd just like a DIFFERENT size and will offer to pay shipping and labor. Have under 40 miles. Truck sitting in the driveway all weekend.

Worst case, I order new ones, have these ones removed and sell.....wherever one sells huge *** tires.

Lesson learned. I'm an idiot. Thanks for the replies.
(Shoulda just upgraded speakers and exhaust lol)

So what are you not liking about the tires? Got any pictures on the truck?

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
If they take them back that’s the best tire store in the world. I’d be really surprised if they do that since it would be a total loss for them. I’m sure they’ll work with you though. I’d ask them to keep them in the showroom a few week and see if anyone would purchase them 25% off. I’d also list them on Facebook marketplace and the OfferUp app. I sold my stock tires on there for 350 bucks in 1 week.

I’m sure they’ll give you a discount on the new tires too. Should work out okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lungs414

Reaction score
If you paid with Amex they have buyer protection. Call them and tell them they won't allow you to return. I did it with my sons iPhone. Bought it moved into new house with no reception at all AT&t. Had to switch and went to verizon. They refunded me and didn't ask for the phone back. Gave it to my brother.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You want to take them back because you don't like the way they look? Nothing wrong functionally? You'd be lucky if they take them back.

285/65R20 is a 34.5 x 11.2 tire. 290/60R20 is a 33.7 x 11.4 tire. You changed less than an inch of height and reduced less than 0.25" width. Is it really causing you that much of an issue?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If you paid with Amex they have buyer protection. Call them and tell them they won't allow you to return. I did it with my sons iPhone. Bought it moved into new house with no reception at all AT&t. Had to switch and went to verizon. They refunded me and didn't ask for the phone back. Gave it to my brother.
Yeah but this is a different situation. While I sympathize with the OP, the tires are not defective, and are now used for all intents and purposes. Not the shops fault.

YellowSled

Reaction score
Yeah but this is a different situation. While I sympathize with the OP, the tires are not defective, and are now used for all intents and purposes. Not the shops fault.
thats kinda where I am too. I feel for OP with choosing wrong tire, but the shop should not loose money because of it.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I totally get it. Its not about fault with shop. If he used Amex there is buyers benefits that will cover him and not fault the shop. Amex can ask for him to return the items to them but it is doubtful they will ask.
I have an Amex gold and have the benefits up to $1000 per year. Came in very handy for me the one time I used it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If they take them back that’s the best tire store in the world. I’d be really surprised if they do that since it would be a total loss for them. I’m sure they’ll work with you though. I’d ask them to keep them in the showroom a few week and see if anyone would purchase them 25% off. I’d also list them on Facebook marketplace and the OfferUp app. I sold my stock tires on there for 350 bucks in 1 week.

I’m sure they’ll give you a discount on the new tires too. Should work out okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats why I buy from Discount Tire, I (previous car) drove on a set for about 30 miles, took them back, full refund (towards exchange). It’s a customer service thing, they stand behind their products. If you are up in the NW I believe that Les Schwb will do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread