5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push Button Start Question

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Several posts stated the the truck will beep at you if the fob isn't near... mine doesnt do this. I tested it several weeks ago when I found out you can drive away without the fob - i went over a mile away (maybe two or three) - truck never made a sound.
Correct. It’s supposed to beep and display a msg on your cluster that the FOB is not near. Mine does this sometimes. Depends on clothing. Hitting OK on the steering wheel dismisses it. If yours is not doing this, I’d have the dealer check it out next time you’re there.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be worried about leaving a key in the truck as then there’s always a fob in it that it will detect . Not only will someone be able to start it but if you leave a fob in the truck the truck won’t lock either .

If you go into the Uconnect settings and turn off Passive Entry, you can leave a fob in the truck and lock it.

When I have dropped my truck off for service before, I do that so that I can have them lock the key in it and leave it outside for me to pick up after hours. Then I can either take my spare key or use the Uconnect app on my phone to unlock it when I get there to pick it up.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think of it from a different angle... You live on a steep mountainous road, on your way to work you place your bag on the roof while you get in with your coffee, get in and go. As your approach a sharp curve going down the mountain your bag with the key slides off and your truck shuts off. Now you have no brakes and no steering as you launch off of the curve into the canyon below. Nice "safety" feature.

kilcher

Reaction score
I would be worried about leaving a key in the truck as then there’s always a fob in it that it will detect . Not only will someone be able to start it but if you leave a fob in the truck the truck won’t lock either .

Not sure but I would think something like this would work, seems like it should be out of range to start the vehicle...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Think of it from a different angle... You live on a steep mountainous road, on your way to work you place your bag on the roof while you get in with your coffee, get in and go. As your approach a sharp curve going down the mountain your bag with the key slides off and your truck shuts off. Now you have no brakes and no steering as you launch off of the curve into the canyon below. Nice "safety" feature.
Keep the key in your pocket instead of a man purse. There. Fixed it for you :rolleyes:

270wsmhunter

Reaction score
My wife and I test drove a new Tahoe in January 2019 with push button start, dealer had started vehicle and we went on our usual test loop. It was snowing heavy and I stopped several miles out of town so she could drive it back to see how it handled. I pulled over and put the vehicle in park, when I went to get out the vehicle shut off. Threw me off at first, I didn't know what was going on. We've had a couple push button start vehicles so I asked my wife it she had the fob or saw it, nope. We searched for a brief moment and realized it wasn't in the vehicle. Shoot, here we are not pulled off the road completely and in a snowstorm. Now realize all of this is happening in less than a minute after the vehicle shut off, she is starting to call the dealership when I figure what the heck, I'll give it a try to start it. Push the brake and push the button, it starts!! Surprised as all get out we make our way back to the dealership. Who should we meet when pulling into the lot but our salesman coming out the door. He had just realized he had the fob in his pocket and was getting ready to call us. I told him what happened and he informed me that when we put it in park without the fob on us or in the vehicle it shuts itself off but there is a small window of time to restart it without the fob present which we accomplished. I'm not looking to try this out on different vehicles but that was our experience with a 2019 Chevrolet Tahoe Premiere, not sure if other vehicles operate in the same way.

Narg

Reaction score
One thing I'm missing so far with my new RAM, is that the truck doesn't have a setting to lock the truck when turned off, parked and you walk away with the key. My wife's past 2 cars with keyless did this, and it's a great feature IMHO. So far I've walked away from my truck twice without locking it when I'm used to this occurring in another vehicle we own. Unless I'm missing where to set this, it is a badly missed feature for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
One thing I'm missing so far with my new RAM, is that the truck doesn't have a setting to lock the truck when turned off, parked and you walk away with the key. My wife's past 2 cars with keyless did this, and it's a great feature IMHO. So far I've walked away from my truck twice without locking it when I'm used to this occurring in another vehicle we own. Unless I'm missing where to set this, it is a badly missed feature for me.
Yeah, that would be great feature. Our trucks don't have this (yet).

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you go into the Uconnect settings and turn off Passive Entry, you can leave a fob in the truck and lock it.

When I have dropped my truck off for service before, I do that so that I can have them lock the key in it and leave it outside for me to pick up after hours. Then I can either take my spare key or use the Uconnect app on my phone to unlock it when I get there to pick it up.
I completely forgot about that .

PMantle

Reaction score
I went to lunch last week and left mine running the whole time. This is my first push button start vehicle, and I just forget to turn it off lol.

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Never tried with my Rebel but my daughter has a Renegade and you can't go anywhere without the key fob. Once you put it in gear and the key isn't in the car her Renegade stalls out.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I went to lunch last week and left mine running the whole time. This is my first push button start vehicle, and I just forget to turn it off lol.
I love that we can do that, specially in the Houston heat, sometimes I pop in to the cleaners or somewhere similar where I can leave it running with the AC on and locked as long as I can keep an eye on it). Otherwise I just turn it off and back on with remote start and it will run 15 min unattended and then shut itself off.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Never tried with my Rebel but my daughter has a Renegade and you can't go anywhere without the key fob. Once you put it in gear and the key isn't in the car her Renegade stalls out.
Not with our trucks. You can def leave it running w/o the key inside the cab until you shut if off.

Cheers,

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep the key in your pocket instead of a man purse. There. Fixed it for you :rolleyes:

I guess you missed my point, OP said that he thought the car should shut off, and I am detailing the results of such a "safety feature." Hope that clears it up for you.

Narg

Reaction score
I also forget to shift to Park sometimes before turning off the truck. It does shift for you, but only goes to Aux power and not to off, forcing me to restart the truck to turn it off again as it won't go to off otherwise. And also misses the auto parking brake set when that happens. Another missed "luxury" feature on my "luxury" truck.

Users who are viewing this thread