5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push Button Start Question

KSOTI

Reaction score
Today my daughter wanted to test drive my truck. The truck was already running so I hopped out and she took her for a spin. Then I freaked out. THE KEY WAS STILL IN MY POCKET!!!!!!! I felt sure she would be stranded up the road once the truck lost contact with the key but nothing happened. So here's my question. Once the truck is started will it run indefinitely without the key being in or near the vehicle? Seems like there should be some kind of safe guard to prevent this. I can imagine all kinds of scenarios where this could be a problem. Any body got any knowledge on how far/long the truck will go with no key?????

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it will run until shut off. But it beeps at you non stop. NON STOP. And on the newer trucks I believe the EVIC says “KEY IS NOT VEHICLE”.

j517

Reaction score
This is for a BMW but u can search in you tube

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
I think so it's a safety feature I was looking for 1 someone made with a Ford f150 or a ram 1500. Once you turn it off it won't turn back on the guy that made the vid with the truck had to walk back home and get his key

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
It beeps until you hit the “ok” button on the steering wheel. Once it shuts off it will not start without the key fob nearby.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Oh man!!!!! That is not the answer I was looking for. I forget things/set things down places all the time. I got a bad feeling I'm gonna be doing the long walk of shame one day to retrieve my keyfob. Im gonna need a backup plan. Any ideas?

j517

Reaction score
Get one of these its 16 dollars place a spare ket in the bag. Then stick it behind the rear rear passenger seat with a string. If anyone ever brakes into ur ride they will not find it an take ur ride
a6717e39fefea62eb82d5d2bce0591f6.jpg

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran into the exact same thing when I stopped at my buddy's place and his wife took off with it ..
I was like OMG! I had posted this in another post as well and stated that I know that my Durango R/T would stop itself if it got over 5mph or moved more than Xnumber of feet. I used to exit my Durango all the time and hit the door handle button to lock it when I ran inside for coffee.

.. I would figure FCA / Engineers could add a simple 'update' to the system for our expensive rigs as well .!?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did .. (or at least that's what my friend's wife told me as she was driving it around the block).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh man!!!!! That is not the answer I was looking for. I forget things/set things down places all the time. I got a bad feeling I'm gonna be doing the long walk of shame one day to retrieve my keyfob. Im gonna need a backup plan. Any ideas?

You will not get far before the truck starts hollering at you that you don't have your key. You will not miss the beeping and message.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
The truck will stay on unless it runs out of gas. However usually it will also make you press the button a few times before it shuts off trying to help you realize no key is present. And if you have pressed on on the key out of vehicle message it usually comes back when trying to shut it off.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a very similar thing happen to me as well.

I had my key in my pocket as I was getting my daughter into her child seat in the back driver's side. Her straps were all twisted. My wife was in a rush, jumped into the drivers seat, started the truck and put it in gear while I was behind her dealing with my daughters tangled straps. I finished up, got out of the truck and they were off.

An hour later, my wife calls and says she doesn't have keys to the truck! She thought they were in her bag, but weren't. That started a "heated discussion" because in my mind she clearly LOST the keys. I insisted she re-trace her steps and find the set of keys she lost. She insisted I was an A-hole, she never had the keys in the first place, and I needed to come get her and the kids.

Fine! I go into the house to grab my wallet, and sure enough, on the counter were my wife's keys. How the hell?? Of course I apologized immensely to the love of my life when we met up with her keys in hand.

I relayed this story to the service manager at the local dealer. He told me that under the right conditions that will happen because manufacturer's don't want to add to a dangerous situation. Specifically he mentioned how it's better for a carjacker to get away with the truck, rather than have the truck disable itself close by and cause a more dangerous confrontation. Not sure if that's total BS, but that's what he told me in the flow of conversation... and seems plausible at least.

As I think about it though, I don't think keyless go is as "locked down" as it should be. And these stories on this thread seem to indicate this is the case.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
have to be mindful with keyless entry and pushbutton start. I would never leave the key in a purse or bag either. It is always on me.

you dont want the vehicle to just auto shutdown if it cant detect the key, what if it just stops you in the middle of the road or highway. What if you just had a weak fob battery and it just decides to shutoff

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would be worried about leaving a key in the truck as then there’s always a fob in it that it will detect . Not only will someone be able to start it but if you leave a fob in the truck the truck won’t lock either .

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
have to be mindful with keyless entry and pushbutton start. I would never leave the key in a purse or bag either. It is always on me.

you dont want the vehicle to just auto shutdown if it cant detect the key, what if it just stops you in the middle of the road or highway. What if you just had a weak fob battery and it just decides to shutoff
The truck will not “auto shutdown”. Ever.

It will not start back up once you manually shut it down if the fob is not inside the cabin, but as long as the engine is on, it will stay that way until someone shuts it down.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Several posts stated the the truck will beep at you if the fob isn't near... mine doesnt do this. I tested it several weeks ago when I found out you can drive away without the fob - i went over a mile away (maybe two or three) - truck never made a sound.

Users who are viewing this thread