5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar

Odis814

Reaction score
Just took a short 45 minute trip down the highway in Economy. I got an average of 24.2 MPG. Prior to installing the Pulsar I think the best I got was 18.9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonebro

Reaction score
Just took a short 45 minute trip down the highway in Economy. I got an average of 24.2 MPG. Prior to installing the Pulsar I think the best I got was 18.9.

Does economy make the pedal less responsive?

RPeezy

Reaction score
This module does not reflash the PCM. It piggybacks onto the PCM and intercepts input and output signals. So when removed there is no trace of it being there. It doesn't "return" to stock because the PCM was always stock and unmodified. The only way for Ram to know is for the Pulsar to still be installed when running the diagnostic test. This is how it was explained to me.

They call it an inline computer, which would support what you are saying. Based on the images, and the description on their website, I think this is correct. So it looks like it would not leave a trace, to me. I've used piggy-back computers before, and as long as they don't actually flash the ECU/PCM, they are undetectable.

Agitated

Reaction score
Honestly I am thinking more and more it is just a glorified and overpriced pedal commander with the added ability to correct the speedometer. Maybe theres more to it but i dont see how.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything is stock as of now.

There is no signature showing up to let us know which trim you have or what options?
4x4? ORP? 3.92 or 3.21 gears? 5'7" or 6'4" bed?

RPeezy

Reaction score
Honestly I am thinking more and more it is just a glorified and overpriced pedal commander with the added ability to correct the speedometer. Maybe theres more to it but i dont see how.

If it's a true piggy back computer, which it looks like it is, there's a lot more to it. It can essentially change fuel mapping by tricking the PCM into seeing what it wants it to see. For example, it could intercept the signal from the MAP sensor and tell the PCM there is less air entering the engine than there really is, so the PCM adds less fuel than it normally would, leaning out the mixture.

Last edited:
M

Mdegen93

It actually does advance timing in the performance tunes and adds hp and torque. Also disables mds and allows for custom tunes without unlocking the pcm

Odis814

Reaction score
There is no signature showing up to let us know which trim you have or what options?
4x4? ORP? 3.92 or 3.21 gears? 5'7" or 6'4" bed?

Bighorn 4x4, 3.21, 5’7” bed

Leadbedr

Reaction score

That what it is now, but on Edge's web site they said the have plans to be able to use it for a tuner.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
This module does not reflash the PCM. It piggybacks onto the PCM and intercepts input and output signals. So when removed there is no trace of it being there. It doesn't "return" to stock because the PCM was always stock and unmodified. The only way for Ram to know is for the Pulsar to still be installed when running the diagnostic test. This is how it was explained to me.

There are plenty of logs to trace that timings, throttle response and others were altered even after the device was removed... Not saying don't do it but don't be so naiv and believe they can't find out if they really want or need to...

M

Mdegen93

There are plenty of logs to trace that timings, throttle response and others were altered even after the device was removed... Not saying don't do it but don't be so naiv and believe they can't find out if they really want or need to...
The truck still thinks it’s putting out all stock parameters to the timing/throttle response. The only change happens in the pulsar and the engine harness. There’s no further way of tracing this. The only way they would see changes is if the pcm was unlocked and flashed

chrisfuss

Reaction score
The truck still thinks it’s putting out all stock parameters to the timing/throttle response. The only change happens in the pulsar and the engine harness. There’s no further way of tracing this. The only way they would see changes is if the pcm was unlocked and flashed

What the pcm or truck thinks it does is one thing what actually happens is another there is plenty of data on the engine logged behind the pcm that will reveal that something was altered...
and in fact some manufacturers have dedicated detection systems that will match various telemetry of fuel flow, air flow, temperatures with what is expected after all they know exactly what’s going on in the engine and what is supposed to go on... ask Bosch they make those...

Odis814

Reaction score
What the pcm or truck thinks it does is one thing what actually happens is another there is plenty of data on the engine logged behind the pcm that will reveal that something was altered...
and in fact some manufacturers have dedicated detection systems that will match various telemetry of fuel flow, air flow, temperatures with what is expected after all they know exactly what’s going on in the engine and what is supposed to go on... ask Bosch they make those...

This may be a dumb question so excuse my ignorance. If you disconnect your battery does it erase the data/memory?

Sooliman

Reaction score
Installed tonight, took it for a ride and tried all the various modes. Honestly, I’ll likely leave it in Economy for daily driving, because it’s still good enough around town and the fuel savings will be interesting to watch. BUT......Performance Mode is a whole different animal. The truck behaves completely different. This is not just a glorified Pedal Commander, there is a noticeable change in the mapping and torque curves. I’d wholly endorse the reality of additional HP gains here too. It’s the real deal!

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Installed tonight, took it for a ride and tried all the various modes. Honestly, I’ll likely leave it in Economy for daily driving, because it’s still good enough around town and the fuel savings will be interesting to watch. BUT......Performance Mode is a whole different animal. The truck behaves completely different. This is not just a glorified Pedal Commander, there is a noticeable change in the mapping and torque curves. I’d wholly endorse the reality of additional HP gains here too. It’s the real deal!

I have dyno time set up in jan, and was going to wait till then to install it.
But I couldnt wait and put it in today.
Performance mode is awesome.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also disables mds

This has been discussed previously but for those who haven't seen it, the Pulsar actually doesn't disable MDS. What it does is sense when MDS kicks in and then turn it off. Some members reported this as surging because it constantly does this based on the driving habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/