5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar Review

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed the Pulsar and I have to say it is great. This is how the truck should be from the factory. My truck finally feels like it has a HEMI in it. Installation was fairly easy, but there isn't much slack in the wires, so it took a little wrestling to the everything reconnected. Changing modes is really easy and can be done "on the fly" through the EVIC. I have it set on performance and noticed an immediate difference. It is pricey, but I was able to buy it from another member on here for half price. I did purchase the cable to update it over the Internet. The cable plugs into the ODBII port and your computer through USB. You then run a program and it will update it. It takes about 10 minutes. For the cost of this, they should have included the cable. I shouldn't have had to purchase it later. If there is an issue that could be fixed with an update and you don't have the cable, you have to send the device to them for them to update. I am very happy I have this installed. I know it will need to be removed for warranty work. It would be cool if you had more control over certain things like the pedal adjustments and maybe some other things.

PROS:
Fairly easy to install
Quick on the fly changes for modes
Makes the HEMI feel like a HEMI

CONS:
Expensive
Doesn't come with the cable to update
Needs to be removed for warranty work

Georgf

Reaction score
I completely agree. For Winter I stay “stock” mode, and “performance“ for Summer. But my Pulsar in a year and a half gave out a throttle body error with CEL twice, and the truck refused to drive normally. After disconnecting the battery terminal for 15 minutes, this goes away. Perhaps the problem was fixed in the update, but I do not have the cable to install the update.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Pulsar as well. I keep mine in economy mode most of the time. I gained 1-2mpg city driving with it in economy. I also got my about half price, which is the only way it's worth the price. I would have been upset paying full price for what it does. I also used to to adjust for the larger tires I put on, since I accidentally ran over my TazerDT. That process is "different" with using gas pedal position to set the numbers, but fairly easy.

silver billet

Reaction score
How does it work. Is it like glorified pedal booster (have one, not happy with it), or does it actually change engine/computer parameters and tune it?

vincentw56

Reaction score
How does it work. Is it like glorified pedal booster (have one, not happy with it), or does it actually change engine/computer parameters and tune it?
It changes the parameters, spark, shift points, etc. I have a pedal commander and this is way better.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Float that booster my way when you get a Pulsar 👍🏼

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Copious amounts of videos on YouTube explaining how it works and what it does.

No it doesn’t do as much as actually tuning the ecu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Is this the only tuner where you don't need to replace the PCM as well? I'd like to turn my MDS back on as previous owner seems to have disabled it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It it was turned off via ecu flash. This won’t turn it back on

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the only tuner where you don't need to replace the PCM as well? I'd like to turn my MDS back on as previous owner seems to have disabled it.
Hw do you know previous owner disabled it?

benb1976

Reaction score
I have a Pulsar I got over the summer and never updated it, I'm curious what does this accomplish? I have had no issues with my device and love the thing in performance mode! Like mentioned earlier the cables in the truck don't have much slack so it was a little tough to connect the module, otherwise it was a clean install. Just be sure to spray some lube on the plastic connectors that lock the ECU cables in place, mine were dusty and I ended up breaking the housing on one during my install. The replacement plastic housings are cheap, and I have yet to replace it, but eventually will.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
There have been other threads about this. All OEM Ram 1500 DT 18 inch wheels will fit any model Ram 1500 DT (not sure about TRX though). But only some of the aftermarket 18 inch wheels will work. The tolerance between the wheel and front calipers is pretty tight. I've heard of a list of compatible 18 inch aftermarket wheels that someone posted here a couple years ago, but I have better things to do than spend hours searching for that LOL. Especially since I'm not looking for wheels myself.

You only need to recalibrate if you are changing the diameter of the tires. Wheel size is irrelevant. Assuming the truck you're looking at has stock sized tires installed (285/45/22), the equivalent 32 inch diamter 18 inch tire size is 275/65/18. You won't need to recalibrate the speedo if you go with that size. Even if the truck has a non-stock size tire, as long as you stick with the same diameter tires you won't need to mess with the speedo calibration. You can use any number of online tire size calculators to compare tire sizes. I use this one...

It it was turned off via ecu flash. This won’t turn it back on

Hw do you know previous owner disabled it?
I do not know with certainty if the previous owner turned it off, but I know for certain MDS is not turning on. Given the mods on this truck, I believe he turned it off. While I'm sure the truck is better off without it based on what I've read here, I'd still like the option to have it to try it out and see if it helps my highway mileage.. But, without buying an expensive tuner or going to the dealer, how would I know with certainty if it's off? I'm wondering if the previous owner may have done other mods I am unaware of. This might explain why the truck I bought sat on the lot of a Land Rover dealer since August. Of course, I can't be sure that is the reason, but it might be.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I do not know with certainty if the previous owner turned it off, but I know for certain MDS is not turning on. Given the mods on this truck, I believe he turned it off. While I'm sure the truck is better off without it based on what I've read here, I'd still like the option to have it to try it out and see if it helps my highway mileage.. But, without buying an expensive tuner or going to the dealer, how would I know with certainty if it's off? I'm wondering if the previous owner may have done other mods I am unaware of. This might explain why the truck I bought sat on the lot of a Land Rover dealer since August. Of course, I can't be sure that is the reason, but it might be.
When MDS is active, the eco light will come on. Make sure that light is active in the settings. Mine was turned off. There is a device that will disable it too. I'm not sure where it plugs in so you might want to do search for mds disable device and see if you can find it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I I'd still like the option to have it to try it out and see if it helps my highway mileage..

MDS was designed to lower exhaust emissions, not mpg. I keep mine turned off and I get the advertised average mpg on my sticker. A few good articles online explaining it.

The auto start stop was designed to use less fuel.

And even if it did lower fuel usage it would take YEARS to equal the amount you would spend turning it back on with an ecu re flash or tuner.

And non dealer brand vehicles always sit on lots longer. My Silverado is still sitting on the ram lot after months. Even though it’s a decent deal, people generally don’t look at ram dealers for used silverados. I assume the same with your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread