5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar inline - Ram Warranty void?

tomme12

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Rebel and love it, but would like to get a bit more out of it. The Pulsar inline looks awesome, but will it void my warranty completely? It looks like you can easily take it off before you head to the dealer for work on the truck if needed, but is there any way for them to know something *was* plugged into it before it came? I bought a 7 year 75k warranty and dont want to f that up.

Thanks much!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Rebel and love it, but would like to get a bit more out of it. The Pulsar inline looks awesome, but will it void my warranty completely? It looks like you can easily take it off before you head to the dealer for work on the truck if needed, but is there any way for them to know something *was* plugged into it before it came? I bought a 7 year 75k warranty and dont want to f that up.

Thanks much!
As long as you remove it, the only thing the dealer can see is that the battery was disconnected.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks much!
That mod may not void warranty. Not all mods do, but you should check with them, because they would know. If so, you have to be ready to swap it back on the roadside, if you break down. I myself, would only make mods that do not void warranty.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They need to prove that the mod actually caused the problem you are having, that being said, they don't have to lift a finger if they don't want to, so you can get screwed if they want to screw you and your only option is to take them to court.

As mentioned above, highly recommend you contact your service advisor and see what they say before you proceed. Decide then if it's worth it to you.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Highly suggest not to contact your service advisor. Telling them up front you intend to modify your vehicle with a device that alters the signals from the PCM probably isn't the best course of action. Yes, they have to prove the part caused the issues, but when it comes to electronics and altering the PCM signal, if you have any issues with the transmission or engine and how it's running, it's not hard for them to just say the aftermarket part is causing the issue without wasting tim diagnosing it. At least not without charging the customer for the diagnostics on an aftermarket part that is not part of warranty.

HemiDude

Reaction score
When I had a Pulsar on my Ram, I always kept the factory screws in my truck (so I could remove the Pulsar) in case something would happen that required my truck to be towed to the dealer. Other than that I had no concerns about it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
WHY would you even say anything, period?
Best thing is to say nothing instead of giving them a reason to deny a warranty claim and charge you more then what ram would of paid the stealer ship under warranty claim to do said repair.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
WHY would you even say anything, period?

Why not? Ask them if adding a certain accessory could deny warranty, if they say yes, then don't do it.

But even if you decide to do it anyways, it's not like they can deny him a warranty because he asked about it before.

You think they will do a forensic investigation later on if he uninstalls it before service?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why not? Ask them if adding a certain accessory could deny warranty, if they say yes, then don't do it.

But even if you decide to do it anyways, it's not like they can deny him a warranty because he asked about it before.

You think they will do a forensic investigation later on if he uninstalls it before service?
Why give them any reason to suspect aftermarket parts were installed?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Why give them any reason to suspect aftermarket parts were installed?

Don't think it matters. How will it negatively affect you?

They may have a good answer, if not, how does a completely removable mod hurt you?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't think it matters. How will it negatively affect you?

They may have a good answer, if not, how does a completely removable mod hurt you?
"Customer damaged engine due to now removed aftermarket parts but previously documented"
Auto warranties are regulated by the government, why would you ask a dealership who has no control except to attempt to void your warranty with the Manufacturer not the dealership?

You may as well call up the FTC and ask them instead, at least at that point you don't get yourself put on a list.

If you do something to damage your truck expect to pay for it, that includes putting mods on.
Properly changing the tune on your truck, or most in-line modules like the Pulsar will not make the truck preform out of spec, ie try to change gears at 9100 RPMs so it's not going to cause any damage.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
"Customer damaged engine due to now removed aftermarket parts but previously documented"
Auto warranties are regulated by the government, why would you ask a dealership who has no control except to attempt to void your warranty with the Manufacturer not the dealership?

You may as well call up the FTC and ask them instead, at least at that point you don't get yourself put on a list.

If you do something to damage your truck expect to pay for it, that includes putting mods on.
Properly changing the tune on your truck, or most in-line modules like the Pulsar will not make the truck preform out of spec, ie try to change gears at 9100 RPMs so it's not going to cause any damage.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product.

What? We are talking about an electronic part that can be simply unplugged, how do they know you installed anything? Is this based on asking the service advisor ahead of time, again, how can they prove you installed something that simply plugs in and would leave no trace. Especially if you simply called and asked a question, not like they are asking for you name and ID so they can log it. How would they know it was even you who called?

"If you do something to damage your truck expect to pay for it, that includes putting mods on.
Properly changing the tune on your truck, or most in-line modules like the Pulsar will not make the truck preform out of spec, ie try to change gears at 9100 RPMs so it's not going to cause any damage."

100% agree. You were reading my post, I don't personally think it's a good idea, ask and let them tell you no and don't do it. If you do it, that's up to you, and even though they need to prove it, they don't have to fix your truck, they can say no and wait for you to sue them.

Last edited:

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Who has the money to take them to court if they deny warranty?
I would never tell them anything.
Tom

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Tom

Asking if something will deny a warranty isn't going to get you denied anything. Call a different dealer, they aren't going to ask for your name anyways even if you call a service advisor to ask a simply question.

6of36

Reaction score
I think people misconstrued my suggestion. I meant ask Pulsar if their unit voids warranty, not the dealer. If they build a quality piece, they should guarantee it doesn't void warranty, and stand behind it. Many aftermarket mods say in writing, does not effect warranty. The responsibility, falls on the owner to prove the mod did not cause the fault, not the manufacturers. They will not deny warranty on everything else on the vehicle, but if the truck comes in with a blown engine, that looks like it could have been caused by excessive timing, causing detonation, destroying the engine, you have modified the engine, and must prove your mod didn't over advance timing. I used to be a dealership mechanic, and have seen it happen.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I run a Pulsar. It's easy enough to remove before i go to the dealer. Not going to give them any ammunition to even try to say it caused the issues and I have to pay out of pocket. Because even if it didn't, if you don't want my truck sitting at dealer forever, waiting on arbitration, you will be paying for the repairs.

Had a buddy many years ago. Took his 4.7l Dakota mudding. Only modification he had was a K&N intake on it. He sucked in some water, hydro locked his engine and broke a rod. Still ran, and he drive it to dealer. Dealer initially said it wasn't a warranty issue, because his CAI allowed water in, and my buddy paid out of pocket. While they were taking things apart to replace the engine, they found moisture inside his PCM connectors. They then were able to get Dodge to warranty the engine because the moisture shorted the PCM, which also needed replaced.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tom
Luckily I believe you can take them to small claims, but it gets confusing on weather it's the dealerships responsibility, or the manufacturer.
Not a position I would want to be in though either way.
I also believe the burden of prof is on the dealership\manufacture to PROVE you damaged it.

What? We are talking about an electronic part that can be simply unplugged, how do they know you installed anything? Is this based on asking the service advisor ahead of time, again, how can they prove you installed something that simply plugs in and would leave no trace. Especially if you simply called and asked a question, not like they are asking for you name and ID so they can log it. How would they know it was even you who called?

"If you do something to damage your truck expect to pay for it, that includes putting mods on.
Properly changing the tune on your truck, or most in-line modules like the Pulsar will not make the truck preform out of spec, ie try to change gears at 9100 RPMs so it's not going to cause any damage."

100% agree. You were reading my post, I don't personally think it's a good idea, ask and let them tell you no and don't do it. If you do it, that's up to you, and even though they need to prove it, they don't have to fix your truck, they can say no and wait for you to sue them.
Some dealerships will actually take note of stuff even if it doesn't cause a problem.
I have never had the problem but I have heard horror stories where a dealership will essentially put a black mark on your truck (digitally) and if something happens just go back and say "on x\x\xx we saw x part installed that could of caused y damage" Just wanted to caution someone depending on who\how they ask the question to a dealership (and get it in writing because that's all that matters not word of mouth)

I have a tune and an unlocked ECM and I have 0 concern if I actually have engine failure it wil be covered under warranty.
I know my rights, and I know if i'm actually going to damage something it will be my fault.

Jexx

Reaction score
Highly suggest not to contact your service advisor. Telling them up front you intend to modify your vehicle with a device that alters the signals from the PCM probably isn't the best course of action. Yes, they have to prove the part caused the issues, but when it comes to electronics and altering the PCM signal, if you have any issues with the transmission or engine and how it's running, it's not hard for them to just say the aftermarket part is causing the issue without wasting tim diagnosing it. At least not without charging the customer for the diagnostics on an aftermarket part that is not part of warranty.
This is the correct answer.

Users who are viewing this thread