5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puddle light wiring color and location?

rwo978

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forums.

I tried searching for this, and didn’t come up with a result.

In the wiring harness that comes from the mirror, what is the wiring color for the puddle light? The turn signal?

Trying to mount one of those led strips under the cab that is a combo turn signal/parking light/clear illuminating.

Thanks!!

braggster

Reaction score
I am interested to know the wire color as well. I am trying to mount some led lights to my running boards and would like them to come on when the doors are open.

braggster

Reaction score
So I went to the dealer and they gave me the wire schematic for the mirrors. According to this the wire color for the puddle light is BK/BN and the turn signal is GY. I was successful in wiring my running board lights to the puddle light wire but for some reason when I open the doors the lights flicker for a few seconds. Doesn't happen all the time so I don't know why it happens.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
I tried this with the footwell light wire and it did the same thing.

Ram77

Reaction score
any update on this. looking to purchase a set and was wondering where you tap into for the wires? like where is the physical location of the puddle lights? is it the same location for both sides?

braggster

Reaction score
any update on this. looking to purchase a set and was wondering where you tap into for the wires? like where is the physical location of the puddle lights? is it the same location for both sides?
I pulled the door panel from the drivers door and tapped into the wire there.

Ram77

Reaction score
I pulled the door panel from the drivers door and tapped into the wire there.
doesn't the mirror wire harness go into the fuse box under the dash? or someplace other than needing to pull the door panel off. how did you get into the cab with the led light wires? is there an opening somewhere?

braggster

Reaction score
doesn't the mirror wire harness go into the fuse box under the dash? or someplace other than needing to pull the door panel off. how did you get into the cab with the led light wires? is there an opening somewhere?
I ran the wire through the fire wall. I am sure you could probably tap into another location. I am trying to locate the wiring diagram I had to see if it shows anything.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
So I went to the dealer and they gave me the wire schematic for the mirrors. According to this the wire color for the puddle light is BK/BN and the turn signal is GY. I was successful in wiring my running board lights to the puddle light wire but for some reason when I open the doors the lights flicker for a few seconds. Doesn't happen all the time so I don't know why it happens.

Did you even get a fix for the flickering?
I am about to do a similar hook-up. What I may try is running the power for my LEDs directly off the fuse panel using a Fuse Tap and then to a relay. I'll use a trigger for the relay off the under dash light od puddle light to turn the LEDs on when the pudle lighs are on.
Where did you tap into the puddle light wire?
Thanks

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Look up the installation instructions for the AMP research powered running boards. Gives the pins and connection location for the lights under the dash. Simpler than splicing into wiring and removing door panels.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Look up the installation instructions for the AMP research powered running boards. Gives the pins and connection location for the lights under the dash. Simpler than splicing into wiring and removing door panels.
I've looked at the AMP installation instructions.. I don't think the pins that are used will work for my purpose. The block that is used in the AMP installation is controlled by an OBDII module that subsequently makes changes to the BCM. At least that's my understanding.. hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong because I would love a simple solution :)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would love to have LED lights underneath the truck along the running board length come on when the door is opened also... Following...

RickWaz

Reaction score
I had white/amber running board lights (70" LED strip) installed, that flash amber w/ the turn signal lights and light up white w/ the doors opening. My guy wired the white portion of lights to the wires that power the OEM bed lights. So if you have these OEM bed lights, that's an easy wiring installation for the white lights.

braggster

Reaction score
Did you even get a fix for the flickering?
I am about to do a similar hook-up. What I may try is running the power for my LEDs directly off the fuse panel using a Fuse Tap and then to a relay. I'll use a trigger for the relay off the under dash light od puddle light to turn the LEDs on when the pudle lighs are on.
Where did you tap into the puddle light wire?
Thanks
I never looked into the flickering issue since I am not very smart when it comes to electricity. . I taped into the wire inside the door. When I went to the dealer to have my mirrors changed out they disconnected the wire and I havent had a chance to reconnect it. If I do reconnect it I will try to find somewhere in the cab.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I just unstalled my LED running board lights today.. I tapped into my led bed lights.. drivers side.
SUPER easy.. the hardest part.. and really wasn't hard, just took a little time, was running the wires under the truck.
If you use the bed lights just pop the drivers side out and there are 2 connections. One has a red and black wire, I just tapped into both.. that way I didn't have to find a ground. The 2nd connection in the light goes to the passenger side bed light.
As I said, this was super easy.. works perfect, running board lights come in / off when I use my fob to unlock the doors..come on with the puddle lights, cargo lights etc.
I would recommend tapping into the bed lights..soooo easy and you don't have to run anything into the cab

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love this idea, please post photos of finished projects. what I would like to accomplish is amber DRL, flash or chasing turns, white puddles

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online