5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proven Ground C&L muffler

Hambonehead

Reaction score
A little background:
I was looking for a muffler for my ‘19 Ram 1500 that would give it a little deeper tone and slight increase in overall sound. Now we pull a 7,500lbs travel trailer fairly frequently so I didn’t want something obnoxious while traveling with the family for several hours and while traveling through the campgrounds. I’ve looked as several options and everything seemed to loud. The Flowmaster FX seemed the closest to what I was looking for but I’ve never been a fan of the Flowmaster sound. I almost took a chance on the B2 Moderate but only found one video and wasn’t to sure. After doing a lot of searching I found the Proven Ground C&L cut and clamp muffler replacement with 5” tips for $370 shipped. After reading several reviews it seemed exactly what I was looking for but could not find any video online. I found some forum and FB posts where people had purchased it but never any feedback. Well for the price I figured what the heck, I’ll give it a shot. Worst case I have the muffler and I at least have some 5” tips now.

Well I ordered the muffler late Tuesday night and it arrived Thursday from americantrucks.com and the package and components all looked good. Welds and materials all looked to be of good quality. One of the tips had a very small and minor scuff but where it was located it would never be seen once installed so I didn’t fret it. I did read in some of the reviews people mentioned they were better off reusing the factory tip clamps so I just went ahead and used the factory ones to try and avoid any headaches. Instructions were easy to follow and included pictures and the cut and removal of the factory muffler went fairly easy. The factory flange bolts did break on me but I didn’t try using any penetrating oil and did use a half inch impact so yeah. Cleaned up the cut on the factory tail pipe with a file and deburring tool and the new muffler slid right on and into location easily as expected. In all the total install took about 1.5 hours but I wasn’t in a rush.

Initial reaction:
Well it’s a little louder than I had hoped for but does sound good and in the cab it’s not bad. Waiting on the high temp RTV to dry that I put in the resonator weep holes before I take it for a drive. I’ll try and get the cold start video uploaded soon.

NoCrow

Reaction score
I'm very curious your impressions. I'm new to modding any vehicle and I had planned on doing the mopar catback but after research it seemed like it would be too loud and obnoxious. I was looking at this one you put on and the carven competitor one. So please let me know what you think. This is way cheaper and I really just want more v8 sound when you get on the gas and more grumble in general without being annoyingly loud

Hambonehead

Reaction score
I'm very curious your impressions. I'm new to modding any vehicle and I had planned on doing the mopar catback but after research it seemed like it would be too loud and obnoxious. I was looking at this one you put on and the carven competitor one. So please let me know what you think. This is way cheaper and I really just want more v8 sound when you get on the gas and more grumble in general without being annoyingly loud
It’s a little louder than I was hoping for on cold start but once warmed up it’s not bad at all. Normal driving and cruising at 60mph if you pay attention it’s louder than factory but still very easy to carry on a conversation, listen to music down low(6-8 on volume), and was overall a good experience. I do like the sound and tone and when you get into it you’re heard but still without being ridiculous. I’ll have to wait until spring to see how it is pulling the TT.

Broly

Reaction score
Thanks, I bought the overlays off someone on a FB group. I have an overlay for the 3rd brake light too that I need to put on.
Do you know if they’re still being sold?

I just picked up a set of OEM LED tail lights and want to do that to mine

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check out the B2 kit as well. Several buyers on here and we are all very happy. You really don't need a full catback on these trucks as the tubing is already high quality T409 and are free flow. If you just do a muffler replace, it will save cost and you still get the same result. It then boils down to tips and you can easily replace them too. Carven and B2 have ceramic coated 5" tips. I bought the Carven and had an issue with quality so returned them. Bought the B2 tips and very happy!

NoCrow

Reaction score
Check out the B2 kit as well. Several buyers on here and we are all very happy. You really don't need a full catback on these trucks as the tubing is already high quality T409 and are free flow. If you just do a muffler replace, it will save cost and you still get the same result. It then boils down to tips and you can easily replace them too. Carven and B2 have ceramic coated 5" tips. I bought the Carven and had an issue with quality so returned them. Bought the B2 tips and very happy!

Do the tips have have any effect on sound? Or just looks? I like the chrome tips just fine.

Hambonehead

Reaction score
Do you know if they’re still being sold?

I just picked up a set of OEM LED tail lights and want to do that to mine
I believe he still offers them. He had a post about them just a couple weeks ago. I think it was the 5th Gen Ram Owners Club page on FB.

Hambonehead

Reaction score
Do the tips have have any effect on sound? Or just looks? I like the chrome tips just fine.
I didn’t notice any difference in sound, just for looks mainly. They do fill the void in the bumper much better in my opinion.

Hambonehead

Reaction score
Took a short in cab video on my drive home from work this morning. Overall I’m very pleased.

Travman32

Reaction score
I picked up this same muffler up as a cyber Monday deal - I think it sounds great and not overly loud, even inside the cab on highway I don't notice any drone at cruising speeds.

For the price paid I am beyond pleased

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score
Just ordered mine today, not sure if I am going to use the tips though. The only one American Truck had in stock was the one with the tips. Might just sell them on here when they come in.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
It’s a little louder than I was hoping for on cold start but once warmed up it’s not bad at all. Normal driving and cruising at 60mph if you pay attention it’s louder than factory but still very easy to carry on a conversation, listen to music down low(6-8 on volume), and was overall a good experience. I do like the sound and tone and when you get into it you’re heard but still without being ridiculous. I’ll have to wait until spring to see how it is pulling the TT.
Any updates on sound?

Hambonehead

Reaction score
Any updates on sound?
Has remained practically unchanged. I’ve towed my travel trailer and boat with it. Long up hill pulls it’s a little louder in the cab as expected but my now 6 year old has never had a problem staying asleep and still not any drone. At times I wish it was a little louder now but overall for everyday use it’s great.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Has remained practically unchanged. I’ve towed my travel trailer and boat with it. Long up hill pulls it’s a little louder in the cab as expected but my now 6 year old has never had a problem staying asleep and still not any drone. At times I wish it was a little louder now but overall for everyday use it’s great.
Just installed. Yeah little quieter that I wanted. But I like it. Except where I made the cut and slid new piper over old it leaks. That connection doesn’t seem to clamp down tight enough. Did yours?

Users who are viewing this thread