5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protection - Dogs in the back of crew cab?

lukesteeler89

Reaction score
Here’s what I do. Three mutts in the back of the cab. Seat bottoms folded up. A twin fitted sheet wrapped around covering the bottom of the seat bottoms. I twin sized mattress pad on the floor tucked under the floor mats. Two dog beds on top of that. Works great so far. They do get dog hair In the door storage compartments but is easy to wipe out with a microfiber towel. They have been great travelers back there.
A twin fitted sheet.... omfg.. DUH!! All we have in my house is queens and kings so I've been using those. I never thought to buy a f****** twin size.... Genius!! Do you think thread count mat... you know what never mind. lol thanks for thinking outside the box for me.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must be the only sob dog owner who doesn't let the dogs on the back seats! Heck, put the seat bottoms up and they have that huge crew cab floor all to themselves. Makes me jealous. My labs don't care about looking out windows, they get in there and zonk out until we get where we're going. Plus, it's easier jump into the truck (gotta watch those hips).

Seat guys... do your dogs jump onto the floor from the outside then up onto the seats?
We've got beagles and I'd much prefer they be able to see out, if only to help prevent motion sickness. But, it also is reassuring to them to see us.
We've got a "hammock" that we use in my Mazda and our Jeep, but it will definitely be too small for a crew cab, so we're looking at the options people are suggesting here.

NWRogue

Reaction score
Seat guys... do your dogs jump onto the floor from the outside then up onto the seats?

My dog jumps in to the floor, passenger side usually. We usually have the drivers side back seat down and he likes to look out the window and sometimes will curl up there to sleep instead of on the floor. It has a seat protector on it.

However, he loves putting his front half onto the center console and watching the world come at him through the windshield (but I think he mostly enjoys the cool air blowing on his private parts).

My wife is making a cover for the center console from the protector we used in the back of the SUV this truck replaced.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must be the only sob dog owner who doesn't let the dogs on the back seats! Heck, put the seat bottoms up and they have that huge crew cab floor all to themselves. Makes me jealous. My labs don't care about looking out windows, they get in there and zonk out until we get where we're going. Plus, it's easier jump into the truck (gotta watch those hips).

Yes, they jump onto the floorboard, then up onto the seat where I have a cover from headrest to the floor. I have covers for the door panels, but they suck and don't work if the window is down.

I have too much stuff in my under seat storage to lift the seats up, and I usually have car seats anyway. The CC is plenty big for 2 car seats and 2 medium sized dogs if one takes the floorboard or they don't mind sitting on top of each other.

TittoPollito

Reaction score

My German Shedder does the same, I lift up the bottom of the seat throw her travel bed (she is 14 1/2 years old) and she sleeps for 2-3 hours at a time.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
I have a quad cab so the room is definitely lacking. My 110 lb Great Pyrenees jumps in with ease, and I also only let him in with the seats up. (He doesn't have a problem seeing out the window standing. ) I have been looking for something that only wraps around the bottom of the seats (like a seat cover), because Great Pyrenees = hair everywhere! Sadly I have not found anything that exist. I have tried a few "Hammock style" dog covers, but none of them accomplished my issue; so I may have to find someone handy with a sewing machine and buy fabric and make my own cover. The easy fix was just using a fitted sheet to wrap around the seats. If I custom make something I will post pictures.
When I had my Taco I pulled the rear PS seat out and made a platform for my girl (78# GSD, She sheds in real-time). Went to the local material store and bought some light weight canvas and sowed a cover that went from the front seat to the back seat. I will probably do the same for the RAM but so far the queen sheet from the yard sale is doing pretty good

Kone

Reaction score
Well, they might end up on the seats after all! Found the rear seat cover from my old 07 Ram and figured I'd throw it on and see... our dog took right to it! At first he was hesitant to jump up into the smaller footwell space but he got up there fine before long and I even had trouble getting him to come out LOL. Will eventuallytry to find a smallish ramp that'll fit (mostly) under the seat bottoms.

AC9EE47A-A959-4FCF-9EFD-671E2A1A9C3F.jpeg

Ramjack

Reaction score
Here’s what I do. Three mutts in the back of the cab. Seat bottoms folded up. A twin fitted sheet wrapped around covering the bottom of the seat bottoms. I twin sized mattress pad on the floor tucked under the floor mats. Two dog beds on top of that. Works great so far. They do get dog hair In the door storage compartments but is easy to wipe out with a microfiber towel. They have been great travelers back there.
Just curious, why does the mattress pad go under the floor mats?

Ramjack

Reaction score
Would love to hear more about what people are using for dog ramps.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
In my old Tundra I had a dog hammock that worked decent. In my Ram I put a kennel in the back and let my dogs ride in the back with the breeze. The ride is usually short and we usually come back dirty from hiking or swimming.

Sherran

Reaction score
I take my dogs to the dog park almost daily and they FREAK OUT when they realize where we are going so I prefer to crate them rather then letting them have free roam in the back seats. Plus, when we leave the park they are slobber machines so having them in the crates keeps my truck clean. There are also machine washable mats you can put in them that also fit perfectly. These crates are easy to clean.

Two of these (26inch) back to back on the floor with the seats up fit perfectly. If you have any aftermarket floor storage then these would not work. I don't think the type of floor mats matter but I am currently using the OEM Mopar ones.

The picture on amazon shows a smaller dog (jack Russell maybe?) I have a Chocolate lab and she fits in there perfectly with room to turn around and lay down. My Weimaraner mix has a hard time standing in the crate but can lay down just fine.

You CANNOT fit a 26inch crate + a larger one. Two 26inch crates fit snug back to back.

I also have the 42inch crate. Both of my dogs fit in there with room for both of them to stand up and lay down. However, width wise, these do not fit. If you have homemade board that sits above the OEM "Storage" under the seats, then I'd imagine this would fit perfectly. For now, my larger crate is just a play fighting ring for my dogs.

I can post pictures of the crates in my truck and my dogs in them if needed since these are a little pricey for what they are.

I have a CREW cab.
(26inch crates)
(24inch mats)

joshfishtail

Reaction score
Here is my setup for the back seat, which I made for a 12 hour road trip with the pups. I used upholstery foam from Jo-Anne Fabrics, cut to the right size, and stacked 3 layers for it to be even with the seat. Downside is I lost all the storage ability for the back seat. I think I'll make a wooden platform with one layer of foam on top so I can still store things underneath.

Link to hammock - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W597YC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pic of the back seat setup, as well as the creatures I cater to.

B5559980-F2C5-4DF5-8319-3E4C38D3CCD1_1_105_c.jpeg FB8D1F41-A666-4351-B1F0-CE615DF6C4FB_1_105_c.jpeg

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To those that have built platforms, can you share dimensions? I know my truck won't be here for months (ugh), but like any expecting owner, you need to start the mod pile early so they're ready when it comes home. :)
Thanks!

joshfishtail

Reaction score
To those that have built platforms, can you share dimensions? I know my truck won't be here for months (ugh), but like any expecting owner, you need to start the mod pile early so they're ready when it comes home. :)
Thanks!
I'm going off of memory here, but for my foam I believe it is - 13" tall to the top of the seat, 58" across, and 11" from front of the rear seat to the back of the front seats.

shurik74

Reaction score
Best protection so far from dog hair... old mattress cover :cool:(y)

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_110113(1).jpg
    IMG_20200701_110113(1).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 33

Redfour5

Reaction score
My two labs will be riding in the back of my new crew cab so I'm looking to protect as much as possible from hair, smelly pond water, drool, etc. Right now I have A blanket draped from top of folded-up seat bottoms, down, and covering the entire floor but something canvas would be better. Anyone have a good option? Back in the bed in a no-go in my marriage lol. Thanks.
Get over the hair. We are big dog people. They are our family. They go. We put up the seats in back in the 2015 used the fold down plastic bed covers and put a twin size 2 inch memory foam with Harbor Freight $3.99 moving carpets on that and an old quilt. With that the wet dog thing has not been an issue and the five year old memory foam mattress has practically no water spots. Like you, we drape an old "mexican" blanket to protect the folded up seat bottoms. Dog towels got stuffed under the folded seats. They and we loved it.

I just traded in the 2015 and got a 2021 Built to serve. the extra four inches of space in the back, it appears to be mostly in the back, is quite nice along with the new "flat" floor, BUT it was too low for the dogs to look out (sad faces) and no place to put the dog toys, leashes, snacks, bowls etc. So, I built a platform for them. Cost fifty bucks for 7/16 piece of particle board (4 X 8). The price of wood is horrible would have been 28 bucks pre-covid. Anyway. After studying the back carefully and considering all the variables, I noticed that 8 inches high was the key. At the back where the back seats fold down, are two rubber stops at the doors. (I cut the platform to fit perfectly into the metal supports there so back stability was assured cut straight across or use the factory cut.

If you look at the front of the back, there are the heater/airco blowers and the USD hook ups. They are at about the 12 inch to 14 inch height mark. So, I measured, fourteen times and I cut the piece to fit the back at a height of 8 inches so I could use the rubber seat stops as the back support. I also cut in around the center console with about a four inch gap and put the front seats back to our normal comfort levels to ensure that was taken care of.

I then got the big hardwood dowels and cut them to 8 inches, five of them along with rubber feet that slide onto the bottom of the dowels. So, from a materials standpoint I was in for like 70 bucks. You simply cut a platform that fits with about a three to four inch separation around all edges. In addition, the corners up by the seats should be cut off at an angle to ensure the separation and they could do damage potentially if they rubbed. So, I took 1 3/4 inch wood screws and put two in about 18 inches from the door edge, one in the middle and two on the other door edge about 18 inches in. I eyeballed that part seeking to balance the support under the platform. Now, this is decent stability, but you could probably do more of that. They do make plastic things to better solidify the upper part of a dowel against a flat surface. https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-6...keywords=dowel+bracket&qid=1626708425&sr=8-15

The single screw and the "floating" nature of the platform on its own and two 90 lb dogs jumping in does invite a wobble or collapse...BUT, with the solid rubber supports on the metal seat supports for when they are not folded down and when you put the twin memory foam mattress down (I didn't count that in expense as we have had it for five years) and you stuff all the soft stuff into the gap all around the platform I noted earlier along with the Harbor Freight moving carpets and the quilt, it snugs everything up tight, solid and it works perfect. I mean perfect height for the 90 lb lab and golden. (all smiles now). And it is all easy to pull out and shake off the dog hair and picked up dog stuff. Takes about three minutes then to put back in. Oh, a tennis ball/or chucky ball fit perfectly in the storage at the back of the console. We still used the old Mexican blanket to hang over the seat bottoms folded up. You can stuff dog towels into the back under the folded up seats and in fact there is more room now than in the old 2015.

This solution has worked perfect. There is lots (more than the 2015) of room underneath for dog stuff or my winch gear, etc. Oh, I have the multi-function tailgate and ram boxes. I didn't want but it had all the towing stuff. I now love them. Oh, when I traded the 2015 in, there was very little dog hair and the seats looked like new as did the floor. For hair? M12 wet dry vac.
Tools, jigsaw, small circular saw, drill, bits 20210719_085028.jpg 20210719_085050.jpg 20210719_085223.jpg 20210719_085241.jpg 20210719_085308.jpg 20210719_085652.jpg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread